Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I took it out and I put a ThermalTake Smart Fan in. I plugged it in to the CPU Fan on the motherboard but it does not turn on. When you go to boot up you have to press F2 in order to keep booting. This is also a family computer so it's really bad. There is no option in the BIOS to stop it. I also just put in a new HSF and it still will not give out power and you still have to press F2 because it is getting power directly from the power supply. Is there anything I can do so you don't have to press F2?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Is the fan have a 3-pin or a normal 4-pin adapter? You might be able to plug the fan right into your power supply if it won't work from the motherboard. Just an idea.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Oh, my bad. Kinda skipped that part in the first post... I remember fixing this at work one time, but lost the solution after I wrote it down. I'll look for it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
have you checked out the 'monitor' section of your BIOS and try to either ignore CPU fan or disable CPU fan? It's where you can view temperature and voltages and such.

This removed the need for pressing F1 (in my case its an F1).

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Check around in the BIOS and there should be a setting about "Require F2 For System Error."

I had a similar issue when I was running all my fans through a controller and PSU, not attached to mobo. When the rig was set up that way, I had to disable the "F2 for Error" setting.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I had the same issue when I watercooled my CPU, of course being a high end board I was able to turn the warning off.

I think it might be a certain current that goes back through the RPM sensor wire, telling the board what speed it's running at. If it is only a low, steady current it could easily be replicated with a resistor between the +12v and sensor pin. I am unsure exactly how this works so please do not try anything like this.

·
Premium Member
7,949 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dragonfellow17 View Post
It's 3 pin and if I plug it directly into the PSU I have to press F2.
Plug it directly into the PSU, and have another fan plugged into the CPU_FAN slot on the motherboard.

You need to press F2 because the motherboard checks to see if there is a fan connected to CPU_FAN. Since you are putting a different fan on the CPU_FAN, and having the actual CPU fan connected to PSU, everything should work, and it should not ask you for F2.

·
Registered
590 Posts
What's the model number of the HP computer? It might help so I can take a look at the motherboard. It sounds like the RPM sensor wire is just not sending RPM info to the BIOS and it's warning you about it.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Yeah...........either replace the CPU fan or replace the motherboard. Not too many things that can be wrong here. It's either a faulty fan control wire on the fan itself or the motherboard itself isn't reading it. Or you could just hit F2 at startup. That seems the best answer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts