Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
I Am Gooble Gobble
6,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was the very proud owner of a 6Gv2, for around 4-5 years and it just randomly disconnected itself during gameplay the other day and never came to life again.

so i did what i thought was the unthinkable, i dug out a logitech G510S i got for christmas as a gift (family always trying to please me).

i plug it in, throw in logitech's software, first thing i notice: aida64 displays cpu usage for all 4 cores, voltage readout, wattage, fan speed, gpu temp and usage, and time all on the G510S screen the minute i installed logitechs software. which impresses me to say the least because id been wanting such a thing for a long time.

i then carried about my merry way and booted up killing floor as a test for key response. i dare to say it but my gameplay actually came out better somehow. i know im waiting for the "but thats impossible" from the mechanical keyboard crowd. but i have always ALWAYS hammered on my keyboards. so maybe its just my brutality that rubber domes respond better to?

i was hammering away in an MMO when the 6Gv2 just...lit up num/caps/scroll lights and stopped responding, tried 3 usb ports and another pc. it is dead. i can use it as a home defense weapon now. but this logitech seems to like my hammering. its improved how well i respond to sudden movements and such in battlefield aswell.

is this explainable in some other way? did i really waste money all those years ago getting off rubber dome, only to go back to it and actually like it?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,926 Posts
There may be some sort of defect in that 6Gv2. Plus, it could also be that you don't like the Cherry MX Blacks for gaming. Not everyone does.

·
Adclock.net
3,751 Posts
Then again it could also be that Mechanicals aren't the Be all and End all of the world.

·
Registered
235 Posts
In my opinion you just mentally got fed of mechanical keyboard. Something new is more exciting for you now - also "different" feeling makes you like its better(which my not be). After some time if you will use mechanical again ull be better than ever i think
smile.gif

I have my own explanation for such thing, buts it's bit rude NSFW and over 18, so i;ll pass:)

·
Adclock.net
3,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredgHar View Post

In my opinion you just mentally got fed of mechanical keyboard. Something new is more exciting for you now - also "different" feeling makes you like its better(which my not be). After some time if you will use mechanical again ull be better than ever i think
smile.gif

I have my own explanation for such thing, buts it's bit rude NSFW and over 18, so i;ll pass:)
and right on queue,The mechanical fanboys

·
Aint da way it used to be
2,837 Posts
Meh, after recently switching from dome to mech, I didn't really notice a huge difference. The mechanical is definitely pleasing to type on, but I don't think it can replace a RD in all situations. Definitely like my switch to mech, and I will stick with my mech KB for a long time now, but I like it for a lot more reasons other than the switches. The switches are nice, but the difference I felt, probably has more to do with preference than other things. I like that the mechs are more consistent, softer, easier to type on, and smoother. Those are nice things, but a lot of other features of my new KB helped me appreciate the KB as a whole. If I had the same keybord I had, with mech switches, the upgrade really would not have been all that great.

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayleyne View Post

Lol
tongue.gif
thumb.gif

The rubber domes have a lighter actuation pressure than the Black switches and probably less travel time.

·
Premium Member
10,773 Posts
I don't believe you wasted your money getting off rubber domes. Perhaps you picked the wrong board and switch type. Though after 5 years of usage on the 6Gv2 I'm fairly sure you would have realized that it was not for you long before.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Well I do love my mechs, but my MS Sidewinder X4 in all its cheap £30 glory, was a fantastic RD Gamer, excellent key response and increased my k/d over it's predecessor the Razer Lycosa squeaky mc-squeak (oh so THATS where their quality started to slide, since the Salmosa Mouse is still going strong).

Anyway there are great rubber dome keyboards, and logitech are no slouch on the quality level. MX Browns for my gaming pleasure all the way and yes I do get better responses from my Keycool, but hey even that in the eyes of many a Mech fan is tantamount to sacrilege since it didn't cost the price of a smart tv
smile.gif

·
I Am Gooble Gobble
6,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i can say i surely didnt get mentally fed up with my keyboard. or i wouldnt have used it for 5 years i wouldve switched back much earlier if i was fed up with it.

i dont know. maybe logitech has improved rubber domes somehow, because this basic compaq rubber dome im typing on here at work feels way different from the G510S at home. and this keyboard is maybe 3 weeks old and only i have used it.

·
Adclock.net
3,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aparition View Post

Lol
tongue.gif
thumb.gif

The rubber domes have a lighter actuation pressure than the Black switches and probably less travel time.
While it all does come down to preferance, I really wish people would stop touting that mechs are the greatest thing since sliced bread, I for one will never replace my G15 V2

·
Premium Member
10,773 Posts
Quote:

While it all does come down to preferance, I really wish people would stop touting that mechs are the greatest thing since sliced bread, I for one will never replace my G15 V2
No one's done that in this thread...

·
Adclock.net
3,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompsonn View Post

No one's done that in this thread...
Yet, And one person has already implied that you would be better off using a mechanical, But pretty much the entirety of OCN has sploosh fests over how awesome mech keyboards supposadly are, When really they aren't "awe inspiring" to everyone or in everyway

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,926 Posts
Quote:

Have you ever tried a good mechanical keyboard? If so, then what have you tried?

·
Adclock.net
3,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

Have you ever tried a good mechanical keyboard? If so, then what have you tried?
I have tried an entire range of mechanical keyboards TC, From old ones 10 years ago to the more recent Cherry MX black based, They aren't anything special, All last a week on my desk before i put my G15 back on there and throw them into the closet.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,926 Posts
Quote:

I have tried an entire range of mechanical keyboards TC, From old ones 10 years ago to the more recent Cherry MX black based, They aren't anything special, All last a week on my desk before i put my G15 back on there and throw them into the closet.
Ok, well that's you. Most people find them to be significantly better. They last a hell of a lot longer and they feel better. They're also far more reliable. I give your keyboard 5-7 years tops before it starts wearing out noticeably on you. How much did you pay for it? How much would it cost to buy another one? My keyboard will probably last about 20 years before I need to replace it.

·
I Am Gooble Gobble
6,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
many here imply i didnt look around at different switches aswell. i spent a good month and a half trying different boards with reds,blues,browns. and then i hit the 6Gv2 and its blacks and i was happy with it.

just something logitech has done.....i dont know what but those for sure are not run of the mill rubber domes. this board here at work feels 3x as mushy when i depress keys. the logitech has stiff response thats instantanious when i let go of keys.

i also enjoy that monitoring screen i now have on my keyboard because of aida64......if a kech keyboard company would do such a thing. we'd all be in bloody heaven

·
Premium Member
10,773 Posts
Quote:

Yet, And one person has already implied that you would be better off using a mechanical, But pretty much the entirety of OCN has sploosh fests over how awesome mech keyboards supposadly are, When really they aren't "awe inspiring" to everyone or in everyway
Quote:

That's great that you have a keyboard that you like and want to use. I failed to see any such implication, however. Are you drawing things on your own minded canvas that are not here on display?

A mechanical keyboard though is seen as something very special to some particular individuals and I believe the so called "sploosh" fests are a result of such individuality and expression of their profound love for the product, much like your own (though not so-expressed) for your non-mechanical G15.

·
Premium Member
10,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSarge View Post

many here imply i didnt look around at different switches aswell. i spent a good month and a half trying different boards with reds,blues,browns. and then i hit the 6Gv2 and its blacks and i was happy with it.

just something logitech has done.....i dont know what but those for sure are not run of the mill rubber domes. this board here at work feels 3x as mushy when i depress keys. the logitech has stiff response thats instantanious when i let go of keys.

i also enjoy that monitoring screen i now have on my keyboard because of aida64......if a kech keyboard company would do such a thing. we'd all be in bloody heaven
There's definitely crap and not-so-crap rubber domes. I've tried some pretty good rubber dome boards, some of them Logitech.

I'm not so sure about monitoring on a keyboard it seems like fluff to me. I can use a variety of software to overlay the same info on a corner of my screen while gaming or whatever without the crap fest on my desk...but if you like that then that's what Logitech has catered for and that's great.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts