Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
E8400 3ghz -> 4ghz

I've been trying for 2 hours to stabilise my E8400 on my P5N-E SLI motherboard - it just won't do it. Every single voltage option fails (restarts pc with colourfull crap) prime95 within a couple of seconds.

Temperatures are low 50's, brand new 700W powerpack, I just don't know what else to do. Interestingly though, I am running it flawlessly at 3.8ghz & Prime95 has been going for about 25 minutes with 0 problems.

Has anyone got any idea how I might be able to stabilise it at 4ghz? I've tried vcores up to 1.42 but I don't particularly fancy going any higher than that. Is there anything else I should try tampering with?

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverTheBelow View Post
E8400 3ghz -> 4ghz

I've been trying for 2 hours to stabilise my E8400 on my P5N-E SLI motherboard - it just won't do it. Every single voltage option fails (restarts pc with colourfull crap) prime95 within a couple of seconds; to make things worse my motherboard only allows voltage OPTIONS, you can't simply increase it by 5-10v each time.

Temperatures are low 50's, brand new 700W powerpack, I just don't know what else to do. Interestingly though, I am running it flawlessly at 3.8ghz & Prime95 has been going for about 25 minutes with 0 problems.

Has anyone got any idea how I might be able to stabilise it at 4ghz? I've tried vcores up to 1.42 but I don't particularly fancy going any higher than that. Is there anything else I should try tampering with?

Thanks!

We're gonna need to see your mobo. If you can't tweak your voltages with a number value, you're really screwed here, as you need to be able to tweak not just your vCore, but vCPUTermination, and possible vMCH.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by BeachBum
View Post

We're gonna need to see your mobo. If you can't tweak your voltages with a number value, you're really screwed here, as you need to be able to tweak not just your vCore, but vCPUTermination, and possible vMCH.

Haha, sorry, but I didn't understand a word of that.
What part of my mobo do you need to see, bios? the actual thing?

I'm fairly new to overclocking and after reading about other people overclocking the same CPU on the same motherboard as me, I assumed it was possible.
~ http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=174278

the 'vcore options' are around 0.050v difference per option, if I remember correctly by the way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
We need manufacturer and model number so we can get a look at the BIOS. So you have a P5N? You should be able to select actual voltage values.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by BeachBum
View Post

We need manufacturer and model number so we can get a look at the BIOS. So you have a P5N? You should be able to select actual voltage values.

CPU-Z says:

P5N-E SLI
Model "1.XX"
nForce 650i
ASUS.
Bios revision 1406.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone have any ideas on what I can do?

Another thing is that I can only increase the QDR frequency (FSB multiplied by 4), is that a problem?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,192 Posts
I have this exact same motherboard. what do you want to know? What voltage did you use for 3ghz and 4ghz respectively?

The northbridge on these boards gets really hot, it can affect overclocking so i got a little 40mm fan on mine.

Also, what BIOS version are you using? the latest is 1406 i believe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by linkin93 View Post
I have this exact same motherboard. what do you want to know? What voltage did you use for 3ghz and 4ghz respectively?

The northbridge on these boards gets really hot, it can affect overclocking so i got a little 40mm fan on mine.

Also, what BIOS version are you using? the latest is 1406 i believe.
I'm on the same BIOS version.


Do you only get increments of 0.00625v options too? I've tried every single voltage option from 1.35 -> 1.42 when on 4ghz (you can imagine how long that took) and they all failed prime95 instantly.


I haven;t really touched the memory voltage, core offset or NBcore voltage since I don't know what they do; are these important?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,192 Posts
4ghz is a lot, have you tried 3.8ghz? did you go up in increments or did you just whack it up to 4ghz?

EDIT: I see you tried 3.8ghz. when you set it to 4ghz did you by any chance see a message relating to the ROMSIP table updating?

When you get that message, it means it's loading the table for higher FSB's, somehow that translates into needing higher voltages.

I can't get 4ghz stable on my Pentium E6300 without 1.45+ vcore.

Also, are you overclocking in unlinked mode?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by linkin93 View Post
4ghz is a lot, have you tried 3.8ghz? did you go up in increments or did you just whack it up to 4ghz?
I'm at 3.8ghz right now (prime95'ing as we speak, seems extremely stable). Yes, I've tried increments; but I eventually just clocked it up to 4ghz since it was only about 100mhz away and having the ability to only change the QDR frequency is just annoying.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by linkin93 View Post
EDIT: I see you tried 3.8ghz. when you set it to 4ghz did you by any chance see a message relating to the ROMSIP table updating?

When you get that message, it means it's loading the table for higher FSB's, somehow that translates into needing higher voltages.

I can't get 4ghz stable on my Pentium E6300 without 1.45+ vcore.

Also, are you overclocking in unlinked mode?
Hmm, yes, I get that message when I go above the 4GHZ mark. I'm overclocking in 'sync' mode under 'linked'. I have no idea what to set the memory frequencies manually, lol.

I've tried up to 4.25v to no avail and I really don't want to go any higher than that. Seeing how many other people have got my core up to 4ghz with ease at 1.36v on first try baffles me.


Thanks for all your help so far, by the way.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,192 Posts
What you should do is set it to unlniked mode, and set the RAM speed to default, and set the vcore to 1.45v and see if you are prime95 stable, or at least more stable.

Also keep an eye on the temps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Temperatures generally don't go much over 60*C under max load @ 3.8, so I don't think that is a problem.

I just tried your suggestion, still failed within a couple of seconds on Prime.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,192 Posts
hmmm. Seems you've got a chip similar to mine: Unable to go to 4ghz without insane voltages.

The E8400 is a wolfdale isn't it? Got a CPU-Z you could post up here?

That would explain the similarites.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by linkin93 View Post
hmmm. Seems you've got a chip similar to mine: Unable to go to 4ghz without insane voltages.

The E8400 is a wolfdale isn't it? Got a CPU-Z you could post up here?

That would explain the similarites.


 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,192 Posts
So it is a wolfdale, here's a CPU-Z of mine running 4ghz (not p95 stable though):



And here's one at 3.8ghz:



Ignore the voltages there, they fluctuate a lot.

Did you try using unlinked mode and setting the RAM speed to 800mhz?

The only other thing i can think of is that it needs more voltage!

You could try 1.5v but i think it's a suicide mission. Depends on how long you plan to keep the E8400 for. If you got plans to upgrade, go ahead.

Also i forgot to ask, what kind of heatsink you using?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by linkin93
View Post

So it is a wolfdale, here's a CPU-Z of mine running 4ghz (not p95 stable though):

-snip-

here's one at 3.8ghz:

-snip-

Ignore the voltages there, they fluctuate a lot.

Did you try using unlinked mode and setting the RAM speed to 800mhz?

The only other thing i can think of is that it needs more voltage!

You could try 1.5v but i think it's a suicide mission. Depends on how long you plan to keep the E8400 for. If you got plans to upgrade, go ahead.

Also i forgot to ask, what kind of heatsink you using?

Yeah, I tried unlinked at 800mhz. I'm thinking of upgrading my cpu sometime soon (this one came with premade computer a year ago), but I'm not sure when. Just spent £270 on a new graphics card so I might need to wait a little while.

Is there anything I need to disable or enable in the BIOS? Everything is disabled at the moment.


My CPU cooler is a Tuniq Tower 120.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,192 Posts
Hmm i'd just keep it at 3.8ghz for now, like i have to. You done any sort of benchmarking? I'd love to see some 3dmark06 and superpi results, so here are mine:





 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top