If you can find a 5850, then that would definitely be the better choice. It is about the same performance for the same price, and you only have one card to deal with, and still have the CF option in the future. Good luck finding one though, that's why I went 5770.
would a 5850 also fit in my case? And would that be smarter and then maybe get a 2nd one down the road?
The 5850 is about 9 1/2".
Honestly, with the current 58xx series shortage and inflated pricing I would opt for the 5770 CF if you really need to upgrade. I mean the price of 2x5770 is almost the price of a single 5850 and is obviously better.
Now if you can wait and stick with your current card until the 5850 falls back to it's original MSRP; then I would do that personally.
Let us know how you like the 5770's. On paper the cf setup looks pretty good as far as that "bang for the buck" factor. I've got a couple on the way, don't know how long it'll take the 'egg to get them to Japan though.
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could
be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
A forum community dedicated to overclocking enthusiasts and testing the limits of computing. Come join the discussion about computing, builds, collections, displays, models, styles, scales, specifications, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!