Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm pretty new to overclocking, and I could use some help.
And, before you ask, yes I used the main tutorial.

But, It doesn't really have to do with the CPU, because, I have that down. I just need help with (SAFELY) overclocking my Ram, and my Graphics card. If any of you guys could give me a detailed tutorial, or instructions, I would GREATLY APPRECIATE IT!

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Well, one of the number one rules of overclocking (depending on your motherboard) is that you need to lock your PCI Frequencies and your PCI-Express frequencies. if you can find that, the values should be somthing along the lines of 66/33MHz for PCI and i believe that for PCI-Express it should be 100MHz, but don't take my word for the PCI-Express.

If you don't lock those it could cause various corruptions. HDD, GPU, etc.

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
For PCI-E you want to stick close to 100mhz, For AGP/PCI you want it @ 66/33 as posted above. For the ram I would not go above 2.85 with the voltage with good air flow over them. As for your GPU, download coolbits, and use the auto detect option under the advanced menu for you display.

Edit: Try to run your ram as close to 1:1 as you can get it with you CPU.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
There is usually the need to set from Auto or Default to some thing like User, expert or Advanced.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know why this isn't working, but I can only get my AMD X2 3800 to over clock to 2.35 Ghz... :swearing:

It normally runs at 2.01 Ghz, and I have seen people get a slower processer to certainly run at higher speeds. The main reason I'm shocked too, is because I have a water cooled PC... Any ideas why this isn't working? Oh, and if you wanted to know, my Water Cooling brand is Cooler master, just incase you did.

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Well I would like to know:
  • Have you tested for Stability
  • What is your CPU Voltage
  • What is your Memory Voltage
  • What is your HTT Multi Set To
  • What are your Memory Timing

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, so I (finally) found out my ENTIRE system specs, so, If any of you guys have the same stuff, than maybe you can give me some more pointers, and I can stop being an annoying beggar

Mobo-MSI K8N NEO4-F nForce4

GFX-eVGA GeForce FX 7800 256 MB GT

Ram-2048 MB (512MBx4) PC3200 400MHz Corsair Value Select

Hard Drive-Maxtor 250GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8M Cache 7200RPM

Soundcard-Stock W/Mobo

Cooling-CoolerMaster Liquid CPU Cooling Fan System

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Uhhh.... I'm a HUGE noob at this, so....

1.) You're gonna have to bear with me, and kind of tell me how I find all of this, and...

2.) When I do find out (if I do on my own some how) then I'll re-post this.

But, I probably wont, so... PLEASE HELP OUT!

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
That RAM is gonna give you a problem. 2 x 1GB is always reccomended, and Corsair value is never reccomended. Next time you have $250 laying around, go pick up some good OCZ or G.Skill RAM.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I know the ram sucks... I bought my comp off of a website, and didn't have the budget to upgrade it... But, now... I think I should buy a new cooling unit instead of new ram now, because I got a Coolermaster water cooler, and I've heard nothing but bad about those...

I mean, my average CPU temp is 27 Degrees celsius... or 81 degrees Farenheit.

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
Okay, to test for stability, download Prime95, and run two instances of its Torture Test. (One per Core) If it goes a while without errors, you should be stable.
For your voltage, get CPUZ and go to the "About" tab, and follow the steps to verify the tests. Then post the link here.
Same for the rest of the info.

This will help us determine what exactly is stopping your OC.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, well luckily for everyone, I have both of those programs!

But, I did do the torture test for 2.35 Ghz, and it worked fine... Now, I need to find all of the other stuff.

But, the problem is, when I overclock my processer more, my monitor wont show anything at all, so... I'll go figure out the rest of the stuff and then re-post.

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
Idle or load? That's not to shabby. Most water cooling gets lower, but my CPU idles at 32, and I haven't even OCed it.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
What are your Bios temps and Vcore?
Mare sure you run that memory on a divider and loosen the timings to something like 3-3-3-8. Read you user manual and figure out how to adjust Vcore, memory divider and memory timings, it is very important to understand these concepts before overclocking.

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
Yeah, that's not bad at all. Most people don't care about the CPU temp until it gets around 52-53. Your temps are more than acceptable.

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
bump that up about .05, and see if you can push it any farther.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts