Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short I built my very first gaming PC a few weeks ago, I bought a lovely 980 TI GPU. However, I just heard a new GPU has just come out which is x2 better than the 980 Ti which I just purchased.

Should I of waited? I feel bad now, I got this GPU but now a new GPU has just been released which is practically 980 Ti in a SLI in a single card.

·
What should be here ?
5,741 Posts
The GPU that is going to be ~2x of the 980ti is still a year away. The new one would have offered 25% more performance than the 980ti and that is still rumors based on what we know. Enjoy your card for now if you can't return. You only did a slight stupid think by not waiting until after the cards had launched as that would have given you an opportunity to get a faster card for same price of have gotten you a 980ti for less. Oh well....

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzon View Post

Long story short I built my very first gaming PC a few weeks ago, I bought a lovely 980 TI GPU. However, I just heard a new GPU has just come out which is x2 better than the 980 Ti which I just purchased.

Should I of waited? I feel bad now, I got this GPU but now a new GPU has just been released which is practically 980 Ti in a SLI in a single card.
3 weeks is better than 4 weeks. Depending on where you got it can't you still return it?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzug View Post

The GPU that is going to be ~2x of the 980ti is still a year away. The new one would have offered 25% more performance than the 980ti and that is still rumors based on what we know. Enjoy your card for now if you can't return. You only did a slight stupid think by not waiting until after the cards had launched as that would have given you an opportunity to get a faster card for same price of have gotten you a 980ti for less. Oh well....
I just watched the whole stream where they were talking about it. The new gpu is faster than a titan and cheaper.
http://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2016/05/nvidia-gtx-1080-1070-pascal-specs-pricing-revealed/

I think I should of waited.

·
Premium Member
6,631 Posts
See kids. This is how it works.

Jen Hsun talks about 2x better than Titan X in certain VR scenarios and it doesn't take 10 minutes and the first people are confused, because they didn't give clear indications of how much better the card actually is.
Just some graphs and numbers thrown around.

To answer your questions :

- Try to get your money back if possible
- No the GTX 1080 is not twice as good as the 980 Ti
- Maybe it's like 25% better and much better in VR evironments

It's not the end of the world

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zealord View Post

Jen Hsun talks about 2x better than Titan X in certain VR scenarios and it doesn't take 10 minutes and the first people are confused, because they didn't give clear indications of how much better the card actually is.

I won't be able to take this 980 Ti back. I guess I'll just have to make do. I will still be able to max out upcoming games such as the new Battlefield and perhaps COD on this 980 Ti though, right?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm curious how well his "2x 980ti" statement is going to hold up when the reviewers get hold of them. That's quite a statement, especially if it is really only 25% better in benchmarks. We'll see I suppose.

·
Premium Member
6,631 Posts
Quote:

I won't be able to take this 980 Ti back. I guess I'll just have to make do. I will still be able to max out upcoming games such as the new Battlefield and perhaps COD on this 980 Ti though, right?
Don't worry. The 980 Ti is a great card.

To put your mind at ease consider the following :

- The GTX 1080 is not out yet
- The GTX 1080 is not going to render the 980 Ti useless
- The 980 Ti is still an amazing card and overclocks well
- The GTX 1080 comes out May 27th, but that is only the reference design
- No idea when custom cards come out
- No idea of availability
- It could be late July if you get your card or even later
- You can already start to game, and have been gaming the last 3 weeks

Enjoy your games and don't think too much about it. Games are running great on your 980 Ti and don't let any other GPU get in the way in your head. Be free and game on mate
thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveTA1983 View Post

I just listed my TX and got an offer for $750 outside of eBay. I'm very tempted to take it.....
Do it.

I wouldn't even pay 450$ for a TX currently

·
Registered
439 Posts
Quote:

Enjoy your games and don't think too much about it. Games are running great on your 980 Ti and don't let any other GPU get in the way in your head. Be free and game on mate
thumb.gif

Do it.

Waiting for an outside of eBay email. Fingers crossed!!!

·
Not a Fan
2,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post

I'm curious how well his "2x 980ti" statement is going to hold up when the reviewers get hold of them. That's quite a statement, especially if it is really only 25% better in benchmarks. We'll see I suppose.
Especially since he didn't say that. The comparison was faster than 980 SLI, faster than single TitanX.

The bottom line is that your computer won't become unusable the day after the 1080/1070 hits the streets.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
If you built a brand new system around a 980 Ti recently. You knew then the 1080 announcement was coming any day now. You played the impatient game and wanted it NOW. Now you must suffer buyer remorse, take a loss or simply deal with it. Don't play victim.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

thumb.gif

Do it.

Maybe I'm just ungrateful, just a little depressed knowing this new GPU is better and cheaper tho.

Will I be able to max out the new Battlefield and COD with my current rig?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by FattysGoneWild View Post

If you built a brand new system around a 980 Ti recently. You knew then the 1080 announcement was coming any day now. You played the impatient game and wanted it NOW. Now you must suffer buyer remorse, take a loss or simply deal with it. Don't play victim.
I had no idea a new GPU was coming out. How the hell would I know?

·
Premium Member
6,631 Posts
Quote:

Maybe I'm just ungrateful, just a little depressed knowing this new GPU is better and cheaper tho.

Will I be able to max out the new Battlefield and COD with my current rig?

You have a 1080p monitor.

Of course you will be able to max out those games with a 980 Ti. No worries there mate
thumb.gif

·
Not a Fan
2,648 Posts
Quote:

Take solace in the fact that 1080 guys will be in your shoes when the next great thing comes along. Video cards get chucked by the wayside pretty regularly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Quote:

Return that **** posthaste son

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Quote:

I had no idea a new GPU was coming out. How the hell would I know?
You are not a clueless gamer and could never convince me other wise. Like I said. You just wanted it NOW. No one in their right mind builds a 6700k, 980Ti system not knowing before hand new cards are in coming.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Quote:

Prices and specs are halfway down page: wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-launch/

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by FattysGoneWild View Post

You are not a clueless gamer and could never convince me other wise. Like I said. You just wanted it NOW. No one in their right mind builds a 6700k, 980Ti system not knowing before hand new cards are in coming.
Well I did. I wanted to build a decent rig and I went and bought these parts because they were highly recommended. The 980 Ti is somewhat better than the Titan, so I went and bought it.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts