Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
AMD Fanboy Using Nvidia
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its in the title and well... I should know better. I was walking around best buy and happened upon the gaming laptop section as I usually do and I spotted a freaking good deal. Its a Dell, but bear with me. Its on sale for 250 off og price and I'm like "holy crap I dont need it but $250 off $1000?! How can I pass this up". Going down the spec list starts off with an i7 8750H "cool", 8GB of lightning fast 2066MHZ DDR4 "lighting? okay...", 256GB SSD "also cool", then comes the point I board the Dell OEM boat, a GTX 1060. I'm like "what? A gaming laptop under $800 with a 1060!" I go on Dells website real quick to see if they had the deal too and nope, but if you customize the $1000 G7 you see the 1060 listed. So I find the nearest know nothing pc salesman that I had just over heard sell a 4k HP ultra book with a whopping vega 8 IGPU to a rich family who's kid is looking for a PS4 experience on the computer and he straight up told him the HDMI port on the side was an "in" and that he could also plug his PS4 into (I died inside) and said gaming on the 4k screen would be butter smooth with the newest AMD graphics (a VEGA 8 IGPU!!!!!!!!) but I digress.

Long story short I think I made out with a good deal and I lose what little faith I had left in Best Buy, get home and turn on my shiny new laptop only to find out its a Max Q 1060 which the paper printed out on the display failed to mention as well as the outside of Dell's amazing cardboard box. Even on BB website the main description still only says GTX 1060, its only when you go to the tech specs and scroll all the way down that it says "New Max Q design". Still debating whether I should return it or not. Don't be a sheep like me, and don't shop at BB.

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
Its in the title and well... I should know better. I was walking around best buy and happened upon the gaming laptop section as I usually do and I spotted a freaking good deal. Its a Dell, but bear with me. Its on sale for 250 off og price and I'm like "holy crap I dont need it but $250 off $1000?! How can I pass this up". Going down the spec list starts off with an i7 8750H "cool", 8GB of lightning fast 2066MHZ DDR4 "lighting? okay...", 256GB SSD "also cool", then comes the point I board the Dell OEM boat, a GTX 1060. I'm like "what? A gaming laptop under $800 with a 1060!" I go on Dells website real quick to see if they had the deal too and nope, but if you customize the $1000 G7 you see the 1060 listed. So I find the nearest know nothing pc salesman that I had just over heard sell a 4k HP ultra book with a whopping vega 8 IGPU to a rich family who's kid is looking for a PS4 experience on the computer and he straight up told him the HDMI port on the side was an "in" and that he could also plug his PS4 into (I died inside) and said gaming on the 4k screen would be butter smooth with the newest AMD graphics (a VEGA 8 IGPU!!!!!!!!) but I digress.

Long story short I think I made out with a good deal and I lose what little faith I had left in Best Buy, get home and turn on my shiny new laptop only to find out its a Max Q 1060 which the paper printed out on the display failed to mention as well as the outside of Dell's amazing cardboard box. Even on BB website the main description still only says GTX 1060, its only when you go to the tech specs and scroll all the way down that it says "New Max Q design". Still debating whether I should return it or not. Don't be a sheep like me, and don't shop at BB.
Is this the current deal that's going for abut $880? What's wrong with the Max Q? Is it that much slower than a regular 1060? I was looking to get it today. Either the G7 or the Acer $650 laptop with the 7300H and 1050ti. I know the 8300 version was $680 last week, but you snooze you lose. Just need something enough to play.

·
...and you'll FLOAT TOO!!
4,035 Posts
So where is the false advertising? You're buying a laptop where the specs listed a 1060, the fact that its a Max Q design 1060 is pretty irrelevant. Does it have a 1060 inside, or no?

·
Overclocking my Toaster
2,130 Posts
Honestly I need to see if they still have that deal. Max-Q is version of the card designed for thin laptops with little performance reduction, and even if they weren't they did not falsely advertise, it IS a GTX 1060, it's clocks are just a little reduced.

On another note, man I wish that deal was for a 17.3" it'd be perfect for my mom.

·
Ever Forward.
6,523 Posts
So where is the false advertising? You're buying a laptop where the specs listed a 1060, the fact that its a Max Q design 1060 is pretty irrelevant. Does it have a 1060 inside, or no?
It's a bit shady to advertise it as just a GTX 1060 when it's actually the low power and slightly slower GTX 1060 Max-Q. Performance-wise, up to 12% slower from a quick peruse, most likely barely noticeable in actual use but a difference nonetheless. No different than if it said GTX 1060 and doesn't specify whether it's a 3GB or 6GB version.

·
Overclocker in training
13,958 Posts
Hi,
Only thing it would show alternatively would be 1060M seeing it's a laptop.
You do realize how large a gtx 1060 is right :p

·
Registered
145 Posts
I go on Dells website real quick to see if they had the deal too and nope, but if you customize the $1000 G7 you see the 1060 listed.

Wouldn't it be Dell who tricked you then? If Dell only lists 1060, how would BB know any better?

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,028 Posts
You're not going to fit a GTX 1060 performing gpu in a laptop lol.
In that laptop maybe not? But some laptops do have desktop class gpu's. Most are large and not really "laptops". But it is possible.

·
Registered
874 Posts
To be fair, you could've just Googled the model number on your phone and checked all the specs, Dell's website clearly states that its a MaxQ 1060. Even if it wasn't listed clearly you could assume it's a low power variant given the 130W brick the laptop comes with. MaxQ or not Dell's G Series is still one of the best deals going for gaming laptops.

Edit: 1060 comes with 180W brick which could feasibly power the whole rig. Either way you can't compare laptop to desktop products, they almost always have mobile variants of all the same products that expectedly perform marginally worse. The way Nvidia is going you should be happy they differentiate their mobile lineup at all.

·
Registered
411 Posts
My understanding is that Max Q is just a certification process. Laptop manufacturers always have discretion on what voltages / watt limits they can put on the graphics card.
You really need to see benchmarks for specific laptop models as you don't get much control over them.

I recently bought the ROG GU501GM, which is a sweet laptop. I returned an MSI G65 Stealth with 1070 Max Q because it wasn't worth the $700 price difference to me. What I found was the ROG laptop with a "standard" 1060 is restricted in a similar manner to the 1070 Max Q, and this has to do with form factor, power supply and whatever they have coded into the firmware. So all Max Q really does is reaffirm the form factor of device you purchased.

Also to be clear, you can still modestly overclock Max Q cards with voltage curve or core offset, provided you increase the fan speed on the laptop. That is one of the qualifiers for Max Q, the default fan speed profiles.

·
...and you'll FLOAT TOO!!
4,035 Posts
It's a bit shady to advertise it as just a GTX 1060 when it's actually the low power and slightly slower GTX 1060 Max-Q. Performance-wise, up to 12% slower from a quick peruse, most likely barely noticeable in actual use but a difference nonetheless. No different than if it said GTX 1060 and doesn't specify whether it's a 3GB or 6GB version.
Bad analogy there, failure to list the vRAM would be a problem. Not listing the clock speeds or power consumption (which is the important detail here) is not so much of a problem for me.... The Boost feature will be messing with those anyways, based on the temps....

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
I wouldn't return it, with tweaking a GTX 1060 Max-Q version can be as fast or faster than a stock GTX 1060 with tweaking, all you have to do is to change the curve in MSI Afterburner.

Start off by undervolting the CPU by 0.1V.

In MSI Afterburner curve editor use 1650MHz @ 0.8V, 1750MHz @ 0.85V and [email protected], keep a flat line above 0.9V to force the GPU to not exceed 0.9V.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
It's a good deal and will cover this gen's console ports. MaxQ does OC some. Keep it.

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,293 Posts

Only problem with this:

1) YOU didn't do your own research and didn't look hard enough. You found out after the fact, having looked more thoroughly the second time. Best Buy didn't TRICK you into anything. Hell, you bought a Dell G7 notebook for $250 less than MSRP, I'm not even sure why you're complaining. :p I'd LOVE to find a deal that good. Seriously, $800 is lower than the stock G7 with a 1050. You're a fool if you returned that notebook.

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
Only problem with this:

1) YOU didn't do your own research and didn't look hard enough. You found out after the fact, having looked more thoroughly the second time. Best Buy didn't TRICK you into anything. Hell, you bought a Dell G7 notebook for $250 less than MSRP, I'm not even sure why you're complaining. :p I'd LOVE to find a deal that good. Seriously, $800 is lower than the stock G7 with a 1050. You're a fool if you returned that notebook.
It went down to $780 during the 15% off Ebay deal. It was running concurrently with the $880 laptop deal sold by best buy, which was listed on Ebay as well.

·
Laptop Gamer
978 Posts
I found on my laptop's gtx 1070, afterburner will not allow any voltage adjustments. What's set at the factory is set. However, with a LM repaste, can get over 1900Mhz proc, and a good 300Mhz over on the Samsung memory. I would guess that the afterburner tools would work on the MAX-Q edition chips, as well? Sounds like a very fair deal, you got. Enjoy.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
A Max Q GTX 1060 is still a GTX 1060...actually it's a binned 1060. Rip it apart, apply LM to the GPU and CPU, over clock the GPU.
If you use Nvinspector you don't even need software running, it will simply apply the OC on start up.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts