Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a few months now I have been wondering where the service in Customer Service has disappeared to.

Let me give you some background,

In December of last year my wife sprung the last minute, "what I'd really like for Christmas" idea on me. She wanted a laptop.

So, for $500 I bought her a Gateway laptop from Best Buy. I forewent the product service plan and walked out the door to wrap the present.

Well, last week the laptop crapped out on me. The charging light on the AC adapter and the little blue light on the laptop showed that it was charging however it would not power-on. I tried draining the power, unplugging, plugging, trying different sockets, etc. I did all of this before calling Gateway.

So I finally broke down and called Gateway and started a return authorization with them - this is where the headache began.

I have spent 4 days going back and forth with their Customer Support people to just get an authorization to ship it back to them.

They told me to make sure I back up all my data before shipping the laptop back to them.

I asked them how I would go about doing that with a laptop that wouldn't turn on. (I know that I can remove the hard drive and plug it in to a hard drive docking station but I wanted to see what they would say).

I told them I wanted to remove the hard drive so that I wouldn't have any of my private and personal information compromised.

They told me that I could pay a fee to Gateway to have them back up the hard drive, or one of their subsidaries.

In either case, it has been 4 grueling days with them, and I have to say I am fed up.

I know they outsource and it shows with everyone I have communicated with.

I learned several valuable lessons here:

Don't just research the product, research the customer service.
Get the product replacement plan which will allow you to deal with someone face to face.

Ok, well maybe just two things.

I will NEVER buy another product from Gateway ever again. They have ruined my customer experience with them for life.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone related with Gateway, but they really need to get their act together.

Thanks for letting me rant.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should have done a lot of things, like never buy a Gateway.

I just spent 20 minutes on the phone with someone from India (assuming) who had to verify 3 days worth of hell for me on the phone.

I swear I think they do that just to frustrate people. I mean is it really cheaper to outsource?

The egg always gets my money, but it was one of those things I wanted to go to the store to look at it and pick up then.

Lesson learned.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdRush
View Post

Should have gotten something off of NewEgg.

^^not a bad idea. Good luck with that.

·
VeeDub Enthusiast
4,521 Posts
and this is why i bought a toshiba

i had posted in other gateway related threads before, their customer satisfaction quota has dropped 20+ people after me tellin all my friends what those idiots thought would satisfy a computer savvy person thats stuck with a broken pc and is not capable of getting a rma request within 1 day of work.

good luck to the op tho

1 - 7 of 7 Posts