Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys i'm creating this thread to inform you that i've moved to BOINC Client and joined [email protected] for a few weeks now. Well, there are few reasons for it. Firstly i have had hard times with Stanford's client. It hangs, GPU Folding steals CPU cycles, hard to configure and needs maintenance. BOINC on the other hand is very stable (More like ROCK-SOLID) and accomodates great amount of scientific projects in it. Why doesn't [email protected] join to BOINC? I would glady joined it then.

Secondly i think i have more intrest in Astronomy more than Biology. It sounds me more intresting to analyze radio waves and helping to find extraterrestrial life in space. I wish we had an OCN [email protected] team.

Anyway but my purpose remains the same: helping the humanity by contributing science and i think as long as one has this ambition, it does not matter much whatever project he/she joins.

There's a Carl Sagan Team there. I joined it because I admire him so much.Anyone read his books?

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
BOINC has many interesting projects you can contribute to and the client is excellent.

[email protected] had joined BOINC in the past but they had a different logic to how workload is distributed I believe and detached from it.

Also, there's actually published results for some projects and there's information on the general progress of each research which is great for the community.

Persnoally, I have a 3200+ running BOINC projects and my sig rig folding although I might stop folding as well (I've had enough with clients and power consumption as well).

·
Administrator
64,361 Posts
They are good things to be involved with also. I did use BOINC for a bit but I did not have the computing power to share with it as I was Folding so I stopped. Folding is more personal to me than BOINC but like I said there all interesting things to be involved in.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadCatMk2
View Post

[email protected] had joined BOINC in the past but they had a different logic to how workload is distributed I believe and detached from it.

I didn't know that. But hey there are some nice things i like in [email protected]'s client like folding with ATI GPUs. [email protected] requires CUDA so no computing on ATI

Quote:

View Post

Also, there's actually published results for some projects and there's information on the general progress of each research which is great for the community.

Yeah the variety is huge.There are a lots of teams there,each having their onw forums,pages and so but some are very ignorant and dumb enough to put fake alien pictures on their team profile pages.
I lolled.

Quote:

View Post

Persnoally, I have a 3200+ running BOINC projects and my sig rig folding although I might stop folding as well (I've had enough with clients and power consumption as well).

You don't give it up now dude. Look at your sig, you're a millionaire and rightfully got more things to lose than i do. I didn't think twice before leaving because i don't have much points anyway.But then again, it's a matter of choice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE
View Post

They are good things to be involved with also. I did use BOINC for a bit but I did not have the computing power to share with it as I was Folding so I stopped. Folding is more personal to me than BOINC but like I said there all interesting things to be involved in.

OK i got my approval from Enterprise which means I can leave OCN folding community in peace.

·
Administrator
64,361 Posts
Well each to their own really. Whie it will be a pitty to lose that little bit of folding power you still need to go after what what catches you more. We will always welcome your contributions again to Folding if you ever decided to return etc.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nautilus
View Post

You don't give it up now dude. Look at your sig, you're a millionaire and rightfully got more things to lose than i do. I didn't think twice before leaving because i don't have much points anyway.But then again, it's a matter of choice.

I still have some guides to write and a lot to fix in the present ones, helping people [email protected] is more important than my 4k PPD.

We all do what we can though, 200 euros a month on electricity hurts.

·
Registered
31 Posts
To chime in a bit with info about BOINC since it's what I've been running for years.

They have a smilar project to [email protected] called [email protected] which is Protein folding as well. Though they have no GPU support as their method of folding is not conducive to being run on GPUs.

So anyone who jumps over to BOINC can still do very similar research if they want to which is always good

Quote:

Originally Posted by wikipedia
[email protected]

Of all the major distributed computing projects involved in protein research, [email protected] is the only one not to use the BOINC platform.[66] Both [email protected] and [email protected] research protein misfolding diseases (e.g. Alzheimer's disease), but [email protected] does so much more exclusively.[67] Instead of using structure- or design-based methods to predict amyloid behavior, for example, [email protected] uses molecular dynamics to model how proteins fold (or potentially misfold, and subsequently aggregate).[68] In other words, [email protected]'s strength is modeling the process of protein folding, while [email protected]'s strength is computational protein design and prediction of protein structure and docking. The two projects also differ significantly in their computing power and host diversity. Averaging about 8.0 petaFLOPS (8000 teraFLOPS) with a host base that includes the PlayStation 3 and graphics processing units,[69] [email protected] has nearly 82 times the computing power of [email protected], which averages almost 98 teraFLOPS with a host base consisting only of PC-based CPUs.[2]
To the OP, if your interested in things to do with space... [email protected] is an Astrophysics project mapping the Galaxy that has both ATI and Nvidia GPU acceleration.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts