Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today I attempeted to install my water cooling... that part went well, but I had to take everything out of the case so I could mod it to fit the rad.

After putting everything together my pc booted, I saw the dfi logo and then the monitor just shut off.

Now when I turn it on, my cd rom lite stays on, it doesnt blink or anything and I dont get no signal on the monitor.

I've taken out the battery, cleared cmos, taken out the cpu, put in my heatsink instead and nothing seems to work. the pc turns on , I just dont get monitor signal and I cant even turn it off by holding the power button, I have to unplug it.

I tryed reseating my ram, video card... I'm out of ideas... BTW I'm not getting any beeps.

What could it be?

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
PSU is what I think. I had a similar problem when I switched stuff around in my comp. CD ROM lights came on but nothing booted. idk tho. only thing I can think of

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by zokus

PSU is what I think. I had a similar problem when I switched stuff around in my comp. CD ROM lights came on but nothing booted. idk tho. only thing I can think of

thats not it... i tryed a different psu and still nothing, and I also tryed my psu on the other computer and it worked perfect.

Anyone have any ideas????

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
water block seated properly?

clear the cmos for the hell of it?

Try using a single leg of your psu wires for the booting HD...

Troubleshooting sucks sometimes

·
Registered
516 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil XP2400

thats not it... i tryed a different psu and still nothing, and I also tryed my psu on the other computer and it worked perfect.

Anyone have any ideas????

OK...heres prolly a dumb question but...are you positive your CPU is properly contacting the heatsink???I had similar prob...and CPU got real hot, lol ,i would say try takin apart again and rebuild....making sure surfaces and connections are proper.Also make sure you do not use TOO MUCH thermal paste!!enough is enough there!

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I've cleared cmos. the hd should be a problem... I havent unplugged now, I'm getting nothing on the monitor, not even bios, so no point to have the hd plugged in.

I'm gonna try my videocard on this computer see if thats the problem.

damn I hate this crap, I was ready to really crank it up.

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
If your CD driver light stays on it sounds like you have plugged one of the IDE cables upside down.

I had this problem when I plugged the floppy driver cable upside down.
The PC would kind of start up but monitor would not come on and my floppy light would stay on constantley.

May sound dumb but check that out aswell.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeaDLocK

If your CD driver light stays on it sounds like you have plugged one of the IDE cables upside down.

I had this problem when I plugged the floppy driver cable upside down.
The PC would kind of start up but monitor would not come on and my floppy light would stay on constantley.

May sound dumb but check that out aswell.

i thought about that too... But now I dont have anything plugged into the computer no cd, no hdd, just video mem and cpu.
and still nothing.

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Well, guessing here as I haven't had much debugging experience...can you pull everything and try a different mobo? Since you aren't getting a a system "beep" I am wondering if something didn't happen to the PCB while being handled. It is a bit "the sky is falling" (although a dead CPU is worst case) but if the PSU is good, the lack of that system "beep" has me wondering...

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm having similar problems with my machine. Is it POSTing? If it is then its your video card. But if its not then it could be your mobo or processor.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan180Pabl

I'm having similar problems with my machine. Is it POSTing? If it is then its your video card. But if its not then it could be your mobo or processor.

yeah, it's down to the mobo or cpu. It's not posting...

I just tested my videocard on this computer, I also tested my memory, psu, harddrive, cd rom, I cant test the mobo or cpu because this is socket A... I'm gonna run down to my friends store and see if he has any 754 mobos laying around so I can test my cpu.

If not then I probably have to run down to compusa and buy something from there.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Blah, my friend doesnt have any mobo's for 754 in stock so there's no way to test... I just RMA'd my cpu though... only way to see what the problem is.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm thinking is the cpu, because the motherboard acts normal when the cpu is not installed. I turn it on, I can turn it off with the off button.

But when the cpu is in I have to unplugit from the wall in order for it to be off.

?what do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
I think you either had a cpu turn bad, or it wasnt in close enough contact with the block...what did the thermal compound look like after pulling the waterblock?

I hope you get it up and runnin again

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
my friend had a similar problem, things booted up without cpu but with it he only got the drive lights. it turned out the cpu was fried because of a dodgy heatsink, the machine wouldnt post either. sorry if this isnt what you wanted to hear but it seems like it could be cpu.
regards

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavier1421

I think you either had a cpu turn bad, or it wasnt in close enough contact with the block...what did the thermal compound look like after pulling the waterblock?

I hope you get it up and runnin again

I put a dot of as5 and it was evenly spread on the cpu die.

I dont, know, I just tryed it again, and not I get on long non stopping beep.

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
hmmm...i wonder what that is...how bout trying to reseat the cpu? and also make sure your mobo isnt touching the case somehow...

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Google for POST beeps, there are pages that decode the beeps for you, helps quicken the troubleshooting.

Is your 4 pin power plug plugged into your mobo? (just curious) lol

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavier1421

Google for POST beeps, there are pages that decode the beeps for you, helps quicken the troubleshooting.

Is your 4 pin power plug plugged into your mobo? (just curious) lol

Yeah, I just searched the dfi website. It says the long beep is a dram error... Let me try my pc2100 in there and see if works.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil XP2400

Yeah, I just searched the dfi website. It says the long beep is a dram error... Let me try my pc2100 in there and see if works.

Nothing... same long beep... now I dont know if it's the cpu or the mobo..... This sucks

1 - 20 of 28 Posts