Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woo!

Ubuntu refuses to support ath5k because they say its old and doesn't work on any cards from the past 2 years. Well they are full of ****. It took a little bit of work, but I finally got it working on my 1 week old laptop.

First I checked for the actual drivers, I couldn't find them on kernel.org. Then I tried ndiswrapper, and I got the windows drivers installed, but it still wouldn't work, so I went back to kernel.org. I finally managed to find the right drivers, and using my Vista install to download the module and copy it onto my Ubuntu partition I managed to install the right drivers. Once you actually get it working its actually easier than Vista's wireless setup.

One of the reasons I went Lenovo is because they have good linux support. I'm glad I wasn't mistaken. Next up: OSX!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I take it all back. They suddenly stopped working for no apparent reason and haven't worked since, even after a reinstall. I'm going to do a kernel update and install the newest drivers when I get home.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nathris View Post
I take it all back. They suddenly stopped working for no apparent reason and haven't worked since, even after a reinstall. I'm going to do a kernel update and install the newest drivers when I get home.
ouch... I don't think it would be so bad if you didn't express so much pride and enthusiasm for your accomplishments in that first post... lol. Interesting read though. I hope you get it figured out.

By the way... what is that cat chewing on in your avatar?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It seems to be working again. Must have been something to do with the alignment of the planets, cosmic rays etc....

Now I need to figure out how to turn off my ati graphics card. GMA 4500 is more than enough for linux, and running two gpus is killing my battery, not to mention the heat.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,351 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by nathris
View Post

Ubuntu refuses to support ath5k because they say its old and doesn't work on any cards from the past 2 years. Well they are full of ****. It took a little bit of work, but I finally got it working on my 1 week old laptop.

The ath5k (or the company that makes it) refuses to support Linux*
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:


Originally Posted by The Hundred Gunner
View Post

The ath5k (or the company that makes it) refuses to support Linux*

ath5k is the linux driver for Atheros wifi chipsets, how was it even made if they refuse to support linux?

Quote:


Originally Posted by Ubuntu Developer mjg59

No, they're not sufficiently stable or well tested yet. Right now ath5k only supports old Atheros hardware - basically nothing produced within the past two or three years.

Ubuntu has a bad tendency when it comes to software thats not completely 100% open source. They feel its their duty to nag you when you turn from their dogma. The whole restricted drivers thing is garbage.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,351 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by nathris
View Post

ath5k is the linux driver for Atheros wifi chipsets, how was it even made if they refuse to support linux?

If the driver you have isn't working... Why are you blaming the OS instead of the company/person that made the driver?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,477 Posts
ath5k isn't nearly as stable as the original madwifi. Unless you have some reason to use bleeding edge stuff, you should probably use madwifi (ath_pci etc.) instead.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top