Overclock.net banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:g unner:


DKJHSSAJDHSAJDHASDHSADJHSADJH UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
I'm so PISSED.

I'm going to try and type this up as calm as I can . I'm so mad.
So, I have an external hard drive that I keep pretty much everything on. All of my documents, my movies, videos, tv shows, pictures, etc. Everything. I was actually planing on replacing it for a internal drive within the next month.
So, my cat decided she was going to swat at things on my desk and she tripped somehow and knocked my hard drive off the table and it fell about 3 feet onto a tiled floor.
Needless to say, I yelled, kicked her out of the room and slammed the door.

At first I thought it was okay, I could still access files and everything, but it started getting slower and slower to where it would freeze for nearly 2 minutes before it would open a simple document.

I frantically started copying things over to my internal hard drive but it wouldn't even begin the transfer.... it died. Now, I can't access it at all. When I click on the drive in my computer, after freezing for about a minute, it asks me to reformat. I looked in the drive properties and all it says is:
"Free space: 0KB
Used space: 0KB"

Is there ANY way whatsoever that I can get the information off of the drive without having to pay $3482347 for a service?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
45,674 Posts
Mad or not, please don't force my hand with language like the stuff I removed!
We understand your frustration, but do remember were a Family Friendly Forum.
Thanks
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,081 Posts
You could try some partitioning tools, such as Partition Magic (which isn't free, BTW).

I would reckon that you may be up poop creek without a paddle, though. Cat's will be cats, so store your hard drives in safer locations, lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
964 Posts
Sounds like hardware failure, no? I'd take it out of the enclosure and try to work with it from there.

I can't stand my wife's cats either. They've chewed through multiple cat6 cords. Occasionally I'll paint them with a laser light and let my dog, who goes crazy over that little dot, take out my frustrations on them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Breathe deeply. Drink a beer. Go pet your poor cat, it didn't mean any harm to you or your PC. Remember why you got the little fella in the first place, and go make amends.

You might have to pay someone (if you don't have the ability yourself) to get the stuff off the disk directly. I can't imagine that a 3' fall would have just zapped all your data.

Don't forget: PCs and toys and stuffs are fun and nice, but they don't love ya back or fall asleep on your face at night and make you wake up, gasping wildly for air but finding only fur.

Cats win.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
776 Posts
try ontrack easy recovery pro, i think it might even be free. or get hold of a hirens disc, but you will probably have trouble if your running it through usb

and be nice to ur putty tat
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,206 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by iseren
View Post

Breathe deeply. Drink a beer. Go pet your poor cat, it didn't mean any harm to you or your PC. Remember why you got the little fella in the first place, and go make amends.

You might have to pay someone (if you don't have the ability yourself) to get the stuff off the disk directly. I can't imagine that a 3' fall would have just zapped all your data.

Don't forget: PCs and toys and stuffs are fun and nice, but they don't love ya back or fall asleep on your face at night and make you wake up, gasping wildly for air but finding only fur.

Cats win.

I would just hit the cat with the hard drive.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,025 Posts
Here you go.

http://www.quetek.com/prod02.htm

I had the same problem with a hard drive showing up with, "Free space: 0KB
Used space: 0KB"

I formated the drive and used this program and was able to get 80% of my data back. 80 > 0.

Oh and I am sorry that you had this happen. Cats are useless animals that I have no patients with. I feel your pain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,314 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Polo224
View Post

Sounds like hardware failure, no? I'd take it out of the enclosure and try to work with it from there.

I can't stand my wife's cats either. They've chewed through multiple cat6 cords. Occasionally I'll paint them with a laser light and let my dog, who goes crazy over that little dot, take out my frustrations on them.


UHM, Quick reminder; They are now your cats too...

...I have also used the laser light trick... Fun for everyone involved...

OP: It sounds like a head failure. Not much you can do about that except send it to a data recovery house OR fix it yourself with a homemade clean box. Cost for having someone else fix it? ~$3000 (maybe less depending on the company). Cost of fixing it yourself? cost of 2 new hard drives (2 drives because once you open one up, even in a clean box, it WILL fail in a short amount of time).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by criminal
View Post

Here you go.

http://www.quetek.com/prod02.htm

I had the same problem with a hard drive showing up with, "Free space: 0KB
Used space: 0KB"

I formated the drive and used this program and was able to get 80% of my data back. 80 > 0.

Oh and I am sorry that you had this happen. Cats are useless animals that I have no patients with. I feel your pain.

Thank you, I will try this right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,820 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by EmeraldICE
View Post

Besides, aren't cats supposed to have balance? Aren't they supposed to be graceful?
I have no idea how she tripped.


They have balance and are indeed graceful because, unlike your HDD, I bet the kitty landed on his/her feet
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,206 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by EmeraldICE
View Post

Hahaha. Very true.
I can't stand looking at the cat at the moment. She just keeps purring louder and louder. -_-

Well since your HDD is basically dead you can use it on your cat now...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,820 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Marin
View Post

Well since your HDD is basically dead you can use it on your cat now...


Sideways?
 

·
Old C-130 Guy
Joined
·
4,996 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by EmeraldICE
View Post

Hahaha. Very true.
I can't stand looking at the cat at the moment. She just keeps purring louder and louder. -_-

ahhh she's saying she's sorry.....

I say we start a eat a dog thread... They are tasty over rice...
 
1 - 20 of 84 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top