Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well with my recent issues with that one computer, now working on the other one, this is a simple OS reinstall, this guys kid broke windows, started screwing around in the windows folder. Of course he didnt get the recovory disk and the kid deleted the restore partition so I got a disk from a torrent, gonna use his COA. Low and behold OEM XP Home isnt the Same as Dell XP Home. One wasted disk.

Anyone got an idea. I heard change the PIN from 000 to OEM tried that, another disk not working.

Is there more to change in the PIN?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,950 Posts
Using an OEM disk on a non OEM computer is illegal.

You can try to call Dell and get recovery disks sent, or else buy a new copy of Windows.

Changing something to act like OEM sounds like it's definitely against the TOS.

This sounds really fishy, considering if it was just a kid, I don't see him going into Windows and deleting stuff, and then deleting the Recovery partition considering it would need to be formatted, and if the kid knows how to do this then he was obviously not just messing around but doing it for a reason.

Still, your actions seem like they're against the TOS or illegal. You can't make a non OEM disk OEM and make it work on your PC while it being legal. You need to contact Dell or else buy a legit OEM copy and format the drive.

Either way, you're going to need to get a new legit copy of Windows, either a new OEM copy and format the original drive and then reinstall. I think Newegg sells OEM copies of Windows really cheap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
841 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by halifax1 View Post
Using an OEM disk on a non OEM computer is illegal.
it is a OEM computer, its a Dell.
I suggest you contact dell for replacement disk or just borrow a friends cd and install it using the product key on the side/top of your PC case.
 

·
Overclocked TI-83
Joined
·
671 Posts
Some Dells use a special OEM CD that validates some DMI info in the BIOS. If you can get a copy of that CD, it should work. This will only work on a Dell motherboard, however.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,764 Posts
Just go to dells website and type in the computers label code which should be on a sticker somewhere on the case. After you enter the code you can request a replacement windows CD for free. I have personally done this and it was a very fast process. if you cant find the section to request the XP disc then you can always give them a call.
 

·
Overclocker
Joined
·
867 Posts
You can use a OEM Disk to install on a dell computer you just have to use the COA number off the side of the Dell computer the same as you can use a dell install disk on a hp, ibm, or a generic after the intallation you click to activate by telephone then it will generate the installation id there is a tab at the bottom to change the key click that and input the key you want to use then click update now you can go back and activate it online it doesnt matter what brand disk you use to install as long as the disk and COA are the same eg. professional or home. Of course you will have to download the drivers from Dell.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,950 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by macsbeach98
View Post

You can use a OEM Disk to install on a dell computer you just have to use the COA number off the side of the Dell computer the same as you can use a dell install disk on a hp, ibm, or a generic after the intallation you click to activate by telephone then it will generate the installation id there is a tab at the bottom to change the key click that and input the key you want to use then click update now you can go back and activate it online it doesnt matter what brand disk you use to install as long as the disk and COA are the same eg. professional or home. Of course you will have to download the drivers from Dell.

And that's against the TOS.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What im tring to say is, this is not my system, its a clients im working on, I do this from my house. I don't question them, they dont question me much. Thats his story im just fixing it. There is a leagal COA on the bottom of the laptop, thats not an issue, this is nor for my personal use, also Dell was contacted they want 10 bucks for a recovery CD and will ship within the next 45days because I am not a Dell supplier. Now Each Windows version has a PID, The Information from XP Home Retail, OEM, Upgrade, and VLK are all the same info on the disk, the PID number tells the disk what keys to accept thats it, there is no difference on the disk. I figured it out and will post this, its not illeagal in anyway to do this, it does not violate the TOS, and I've had to do it before, and I found out about the trick 2 years ago on the MSN support forums if you wanna know.

For future refrance for anyone, this is what I did to get it to work

go to

Windows Disk\\i386\\setupp.ini

you should see this
[Pid]
ExtraData=707A667567736F696F697911AE7E05
Pid=55034000

or similar

now the value that matters id PID enter this

Pid=76487OEM

so it looks like this

[Pid]
ExtraData=707A667567736F696F697911AE7E05
Pid=76487OEM

And it will install onto a Dell OEM machine, dont ask me why Dell doesnt use the standard OEM but thats there call. This is 100% leagal, as you are not modifing anything except what keys the windows install accepts.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,950 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by TheSandman
View Post

What im tring to say is, this is not my system, its a clients im working on, I do this from my house. I don't question them, they dont question me much. Thats his story im just fixing it. There is a leagal COA on the bottom of the laptop, thats not an issue, this is nor for my personal use, also Dell was contacted they want 10 bucks for a recovery CD and will ship within the next 45days because I am not a Dell supplier. Now Each Windows version has a PID, The Information from XP Home Retail, OEM, Upgrade, and VLK are all the same info on the disk, the PID number tells the disk what keys to accept thats it, there is no difference on the disk. I figured it out and will post this, its not illeagal in anyway to do this, it does not violate the TOS, and I've had to do it before, and I found out about the trick 2 years ago on the MSN support forums if you wanna know.

For future refrance for anyone, this is what I did to get it to work

go to

Windows Diski386setupp.ini

you should see this
[Pid]
ExtraData=707A667567736F696F697911AE7E05
Pid=55034000

or similar

now the value that matters id PID enter this

Pid=76487OEM

so it looks like this

[Pid]
ExtraData=707A667567736F696F697911AE7E05
Pid=76487OEM

And it will install onto a Dell OEM machine, dont ask me why Dell doesnt use the standard OEM but thats there call. This is 100% leagal, as you are not modifing anything except what keys the windows install accepts.

Glad you got it to work, but I do not understand how you can say modifying which keys the install accepts isn't illegal. There's no way modifying files to get other keys to be excepted onto an OEM installer is perfectly legal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,412 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by halifax1
View Post

And that's against the TOS.

No its not. Nothing illegal is being done here. He has a valid cd-key for the computer he is trying to install windows on, he just needs a disk. If I bought 6 copies of OEM Vista I could use one of the discs to install all 6 copies on 6 different coputers as long as each one used a different cd-key and its perfectly legal. The disc itself has nothing to do with Windows being valid or not, just the key, so if he has a valid key then nothing illegal is going on and therefore none of the ToS have been broken.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
910 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by puscifer
View Post

no its not. Nothing illegal is being done here. He has a valid cd-key for the computer he is trying to install windows on, he just needs a disk. If i bought 6 copies of oem vista i could use one of the discs to install all 6 copies on 6 different coputers as long as each one used a different cd-key and its perfectly legal. The disc itself has nothing to do with windows being valid or not, just the key, so if he has a valid key then nothing illegal is going on and therefore none of the tos have been broken.

+True
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by halifax1
View Post

Glad you got it to work, but I do not understand how you can say modifying which keys the install accepts isn't illegal. There's no way modifying files to get other keys to be excepted onto an OEM installer is perfectly legal.

except Microsoft doesnt consider this illegal in anyway, and even allows it on there own forums, so I don't see an issue here. This is a very common thing done actully, my local PC shop does this, why would they stock OEM copies for Dell, HP, ect plus regual OEM, Retail, Upgrade for windows work if the user doesnt have the original CD's anymore but has the COA on his case? There isnt any reason for that actully. Not to mention SP1 and SP2 keys dont interchage as the PID string changes there as well. What this actully does is very simple, it determins the type of install actully. With the upgrade PIN it makes it look for Windows 9x/2k. The retail PIN is just that, the OEM PIN tells MS tech support they are not responsable for your OS, the guy who sold you the comp or OS is. And the VLK says hey dont activate. ITs a way for MS to keep track of there versions and so your disk works right for what you need it for. But there is no physical Diffrence between XP Home Upgrade, Retail, OEM, or VLK in all truth. Its a small number that tells the disk what it is.

Also MS provides a free program for doing just this, Windows Product Key Changer or something like that, What it does is if you buy a key from windows it can convert that illegal XP Pro VLK to XP Pro Retail ect, that changes the PID value in the registry and changes it from a VLK to a retail ect.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,764 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by TheSandman
View Post

What im tring to say is, this is not my system, its a clients im working on, I do this from my house. I don't question them, they dont question me much. Thats his story im just fixing it. There is a leagal COA on the bottom of the laptop, thats not an issue, this is nor for my personal use, also Dell was contacted they want 10 bucks for a recovery CD and will ship within the next 45days because I am not a Dell supplier.

Summer of last year i went through this, i told them i needed to reinstall windows and i needed the XP disc from the desktop that i purchased in 2005. Not only was it free but it only took two days to get to my house after i requested it. i suggest you re contact dell and make sure you speak to someone else. Unless they changed their policy or something since i did this.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,374 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by halifax1
View Post

And that's against the TOS.

How's that against the TOS, you're using your own valid license?

Nvm...looks like you already got a solution. I'm glad it worked for ya.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,950 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by KamuiRSX
View Post

How's that against the TOS, you're using your own valid license?

Nvm...looks like you already got a solution. I'm glad it worked for ya.

The was it was worded just seemed illegal to me, but the OP got it cleared up. I just was confused as to the method but it seems to be legit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,470 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Puscifer
View Post

If I bought 6 copies of OEM Vista I could use one of the discs to install all 6 copies on 6 different coputers as long as each one used a different cd-key and its perfectly legal. The disc itself has nothing to do with Windows being valid or not, just the key, so if he has a valid key then nothing illegal is going on and therefore none of the ToS have been broken.

Actually, this is false.

When I installed this Vista 64bit, and it's a legal OEM edition ($169 worth legal), I typed in one wrong letter -- Windows told me it wasn't the proper key -- so Windows does know which key to go with each edition.

And to clarify: this means the key is tied to the disk itself. Any other way it's an illegal crack, and thus, why folks treat these questions with a tad more caution.

Seems like there's some torrent .iso crackers around here, and thus the heavy tone in this thread about the topic, too.
 

·
4.0ghz
Joined
·
4,563 Posts
1. Dell supports the OS, Microsoft has nothing to do with it.
2. Bottom line is you need the Dell OS re-installation disc. The OS and the Dell service tag # are tied to the motherboard.
3. The COAL tag # on the label is a product key certified by Microsoft that it is a Dell Windows OEM OS.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top