Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a computer that meets the system requirements of every game in the grand theft auto IV series.

I have installed GTA IV through steam to get nothing out of it. I then traveled across town to buy a cd version of the game, the game refuses to launch.

So I bought the expansion packs because I was anxious for some 3rd person shooter action, after installing both games, I enter i nthe product key and it claims that the key is not in the database. So I returned the game and got one with a different product key, again it claims to not have the product key in the database which means I can not play.

This is such a load of bull****, I buy a game, I expect to be playing it shortly after install, I have installed 4 different games, steam GTAIV, Hard copy of GTA IV, Stories from Liberty City etc.

Can anyone give me more help than their so called help line has offered?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is UAC short for?

when i loaded it up on Steam it got me to the rockstarr social club, id click play, and then nothing, id still be at desktop.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lezbianseagull View Post
What is UAC short for?

when i loaded it up on Steam it got me to the rockstarr social club, id click play, and then nothing, id still be at desktop.
User Active Control or something. Basically it is Windows controlling what runs to stop stupid people from running .exe's that turn out to be viruses. UAC is the reason why you get a pop up from Windows when something tries to run and the screen dims.

However, UAC may be automatic sometimes and automatically block something without a pop-up coming up, which is why disabling it can fix problems with installations. Make sure to right-click and Run as Administrator, too.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Quote:

Hi, I have a computer
I bought a game and it didn't work, so I bought it again and it still didn't work. Then I decided to buy expansions for a game that doesn't work on my rig yet, and they didn't work either! I installed essentially the same game 4 times, and it just won't work. Do I just need to keep throwing money at a company I say I hate?
Have you tried buying it from from Direct2Drive?

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
@ilglavmvm edit your last post to avoid getting an infraction, Piracy is not allowed to be discussed on OCN

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by InsideTheCinema View Post
Have you tried buying it from from Direct2Drive?
I disputed the charge on steam and they are refunding peoples moneys for people who bought GTA IV and it would not work. They dont do that for most people who buy games through steam.

I just do not like the fact that my PC meets all the systems requirements and it still will not work. Ive been working on getting some good 3rd person shooter action on my PC for the better part of a month and asides correspondance with techies, Im still not playing it.

And besides, I can always sell the hard copys, its not like im throwing money away as you suggested.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Pie View Post
@ilglavmvm edit your last post to avoid getting an infraction, Piracy is not allowed to be discussed on OCN
He clearly said he bought not just one, but two copies of the game and it still doesn't work for him. I think Rockstar got their money's worth out of him.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Quote:

And besides, I can always sell the hard copys, its not like im throwing money away as you suggested.
I didn't say you were throwing it away, rather throwing it at a company who you "hate."

·
15,777 Posts
UAC - Useless As Crap

·
Probably sleep deprived
5,585 Posts
Quote:

Also, Cracking a game is no longer illegal. As long as you have a legit copy you can crack it if you wish.

Please edit your post to be up to date with current computer law.

·
Premium Member
4,564 Posts
this is what i get if i mod any of the files. when you click lanch, a file checker goes though the gta iv files and if it finds ANYTHING wroung it will just sit at the desktop like nutin happened. i think there is a way to disable the file checker though a mod.

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilWrir View Post
Also, Cracking a game is no longer illegal. As long as you have a legit copy you can crack it if you wish.

Please edit your post to be up to date with current computer law.

we still can't discuss it unless the mods allow us.....which I can't see

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Quote:

Nobody said anything about piracy. This guy bought the game. Twice. Stop trying to suck up to the mods, they already take their "job" too seriously.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Quote:

we still can't discuss it unless the mods allow us.....which I can't see
PIRACY is not allowed to be discussed. Nobody is telling him to pirate the game. Go away now

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
9,993 Posts
not rockstars fault the game won't run on your system we don't even know your specs could be a hardware issue

1 - 20 of 24 Posts