Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Strange input worked fine for me bad connection?(saying some people have good DL but terrible UL), anyway of course the graphics aren't as good as Localized Gaming internet speed just aren't fast enough as of now.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Your ping is great... and as far as upload bandwidth, the requirement would be basically nothing since it's just receiving keystrokes and a keepalive byte every once in awhile...
Sorry that onLive isn't working great.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Also note, just because one person says something works fine for them doesn't mean it'll work fine for someone else.

For example, some people find Crysis playable at 17fps. Others find it a putrid nightmare. Some people despise Vsync because of the mouse delay, others can't even tell the difference with it on or off. List goes on and on...

I've played OnLive with the keyboard/mouse and the 360 controller for Dirt 2 and will agree, the input delay will give you a headache sometimes. The people that are going to have the best experiences are probably the guys with extremely low ping times, usually like business class internet users I see it with. That's something I can't see OnLive having to fix. The infrastructure just isn't there yet, in our country it isn't anyways.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have a 25mb connection and Onlive was jittery for me as well too. I might be used to playing games in 1200p, but i did not like the washed out 720p gaming window either.

Might be something to use if youre stuck on a netbook or something and want to play a game, but otherwise I dont see myself ever paying for this service.

·
Banned
2,905 Posts
I've seen screenshots of Dirt 2 from OnLive and the real thing.

OnLive image quality is atrocious. It looks like a low-bit rate pre-rendered CGI.

OnLive is only useful for those who really don't care about image quality, or just want a quick fix from a modern game.

As a devoted PC gamer and performance enthusiast, OnLive is total crap to me.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TestECull
View Post

This isn't a big surprise if you ask me. I saw this coming months ago.

Nice idea but doomed to failure.

QFT.

Read the Kotaku mini-review about OnLive and overall said it was Alright, if you can handle the lag and horrible gfx due to its streaming. Also bad part is the whole game system, how you need OnLive, plus BUY or RENT the game, which OnLive was suppose to solve but just created what it was trying to not do.

So I see that service dead in 6 months.

·
Registered
785 Posts
It might really be comcast causing the problem. Despite the great ping you have, the server your streaming off might not be anywhere near you. A good way to tell is it grab the servers ping and do a tracert and also a ping to check for packet loss.

Never mind, just watched this video:
film_go.png
YouTube- Onlive VS PC, DiRT 2, DX11 Game Test Comparison (720p)(HD) and the guy reports the same thing. (The controls for onlive had a slight lag (50 MS) )

I bought Dirt2 on steam, is there some way I can test onlive out? This is honestly the first time I've heard of it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Onlive just sucks, the technology just isnt quite ready for it yet. Games are played at 20fps in a highly compressed 720p window that look like garbage, and input lag is pretty awful too.

There other ridiculous part is you never own any games you pay for on the service. If you stop your service for any time with onlive, you PERMANENTLY lose access to that game forever, even if you start service again.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by E-Peen
View Post

Can someone tell me what the hell onlive is?

OnLive is basically gaming over a cloud computer. You play games at home, but it is all streamed from their servers which are playing the game. So, of course there is some control lag and such from this system. Also, games graphics settings are set by them, and you play in 1280x720 (I think that's my phone's rez?
)

But, I suppose, for someone who has neither a console or gaming PC, it could be an option.

But only for those people, at the moment. The tech isn't there yet.

·
486DX2 66
3,762 Posts
I just simply wouldn't pay for this at all. Maybe the next generation of gamers would give it a try. Taking the plunge into digital downloads was hard enough for me (I just signed up for steam after ages of self debate), No way am I streaming games where if the server is overloaded/down I can't even play a SP game.

The tech is nowhere near capable of this, just think... You get input lag on beta, what if 1,000,000 people were on this server at the same time? How are they going to stream 1,000,000 games at 720P with 0 lag?!?!?! Yeah right!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I got into the free year+game thing, so once I get my hands on a credit card (WHY MUST THEY NOT ACCEPT PAYPAL ;-
I'll see if I get similar results. My speeds are nowhere near that I believe though.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Why the hell would you pay for this if your pc was made in the past 8 years?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyNikel
View Post

Why the hell would you pay for this if your pc was made in the past 8 years?

True, from a hardware standpoint it makes little sense, but it does have its perks in other areas. Like being able to sample and play 1000's of games without having to lug around a steamer trunk for them can be, for some, pretty convenient. Plus renting a game for a night instead of taking a gamble buying it can save $$$ in the long run.

Though after seeing the input lag in Sunrex's video you start to wonder if that really matters, lol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts