Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghettogeddy View Post
ya i woudl sell a set or send them back no need for 16 gb and it will hurt your 1090t oc to have all 4
Speak for your self, Ram disks, and VM's can easily use that much memory. Not to mention 1080/4K video editing.

·
Banned
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont need to really OC my cpu.3.7 is fine and stable for me. I just want to know how to unlock more power out of the ram I have. It said in the product description that this is meant to be overclocked.

Also I do a lot of photoshop, and Autodesk. Thus I need as much ram I can have.

·
Banned
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd rather have maxed out ram and not need, and dont have when i need it. Is that a old saying?

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by newpc View Post
its going to limit ur OC by having full slot of ram. what settings are you running them atm?
Not necessarily; my main rig has an x6 clocked at 4Ghz with NB at ~2.75Ghz and RAM at 1600Mhz with low CAS6 timings.

Honestly though if you have to run 1333 CAS9 at more than 1.5V than your RAM is bad enough; not only do high timings combined with low speed degrade performance on AMD systems but I'm pretty sure you can get 2x4GB kits with better settings for a similar price.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
IIRC, AMD systems benefit more from having tighter timings than from having a higher speed memory. As another poster said, bump up the voltage to 1.65/1.66v and see what you can do.

Try to start off by getting a lower command rate (If it's not already 1) and then go for the other timings. You may come to find that they won't be the same as each other (e.g. 5-6-6-16) but as a general rule of them, keep them within 1.

To start the process, I usually like to see how far I can go before I can't POST, then loosen the timings a notch or two and try again. Just get as close to the stable limit as possible.

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
That's a good start; try lowering the timings. That usually has a better effect on AMD systems.

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
All of the ones in CPU-Z (CL, tRCD, tRP, tRAS, tRC); you could touch the other settings, but I'm worried I'll just ruin your day

Do them one at a time. Run quick tests like SuperPi 32M, MaxxMem (best to test performance increase) and IntelBurnTest (quick all-round stability test) between changes. When finished (as in, you can't go any further/no POST), you can run a stress test as if you were stress testing a CPU (i.e. Prime95 for 12 hours) to confirm stability.
The value I didn't mention (CR) is a toss-up; you can try running 1T but it might not be as stable; 2T is best for stability but 1T has a slightly better effect on performance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts