Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I'd start by checking out the BOINC Essentials Thread if you haven't already. That can help you get setup with the manager and give you some direction. Then you'll have to chose a project (or projects) to work on. There's a ton of different things to contribute towards in many different fields so you should be able find one that interests you.

As for individual BOINC teams (like there are for FAH), I'm not sure if there are any.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I would hope it wouldn't be -42C
. Are you planning on just using your CPU or GPU as well?

117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LiLChris
View Post

Let us know temps when you get BOINC running and post some screenshots.

If you looked at the video, you can see it "bottom out" at -28C when running Prime.

117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kurt1288
View Post

I would hope it wouldn't be -42C
. Are you planning on just using your CPU or GPU as well?

No, it is -42C, it is running sub-zero. That is a single stage vapor phase change cooler, the thing is a killer chiller.

I have one GTX 580 card in the box, I did not know I could offload to the GPU. How does one configure it to do that? Will it happen automatically?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by I am from Caspiar it sunk
View Post

No, it is -42C, it is running sub-zero. That is a single stage vapor phase change cooler, the thing is a killer chiller.

Ya I realized after I said that that it wasn't just on air...

Quote:

I have one GTX 580 card in the box, I did not know I could offload to the GPU. How does one configure it to do that? Will it happen automatically?

There's only a few projects that can utilize an ATI card (Collatz Conjecture, DNETC, Milkway). If you chose to run one, you just have to go to their website and set the option to use the GPU instead of CPU (for that project). You can also have separate projects running on your cpu and gpu.

GPU Guide:
http://www.overclock.net/overclock-n...-only-use.html

It takes a little to set up, but once you get it going, you can pretty much just forget about it.

117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kurt1288
View Post

There's only a few projects that can utilize an ATI card (Collatz Conjecture, DNETC, Milkway). If you chose to run one, you just have to go to their website and set the option to use the GPU instead of CPU (for that project). You can also have separate projects running on your cpu and gpu.

It takes a little to set up, but once you get it going, you can pretty much just forget about it.

Oh good, I am pretty good at that "forgetting stuff"

BTW, ever notice how momentum is the first derivative of kinetic energy?

117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbudden
View Post

Oh no. I knew that. I meant who made it. But I found out.
http://www.liquidnitrogenoverclockin...ightning.shtml
Pretty expensive, 5,200$. But badass never the less.

Yes, that's the one, by Liquid Nitrogen Overclocking.

There's been two changes to the system on that page.

1. The GTX 580 now comes standard.
2. The 2011 Cooler is now better than the 2010 one, by a good margin.

The price is still the same though.

·
notNOTmbudden
14,432 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by I am from Caspiar it sunk
View Post

Yes, that's the one, by Liquid Nitrogen Overclocking.

There's been two changes to the system on that page.

1. The GTX 580 now comes standard.
2. The 2011 Cooler is now better than the 2010 one, by a good margin.

The price is still the same though.

I was wondering if they sold the kit separately, but I'm assuming they don't. They could make some serious $$ if they did. I sure as hell would. Since you don't have to insulate your board etc.

117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbudden
View Post

I was wondering if they sold the kit separately, but I'm assuming they don't. They could make some serious $$ if they did. I sure as hell would. Since you don't have to insulate your board etc.

I think the phase cooler alone was about $1000, I think we all know the Gulftown chip is $1000 so there's $2000 bucks right there.

But what "kit" are you talking about. You mean all of the unassembled parts, like do it yourself?

The $5200 includes all tax and shipping, I think it would be hard to beat something like that. Hell, it came in a crate, must have been a couple hundred to ship.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts