Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I went to reat my heatsink, I noticed that the outside edge is like worn/dulled, And there was no AS5 around the edges (like a couple mm's from each side going towards the middle), It was all in the middle. I wish my camera was charged so I could of taken a pic or two and showed you all.

I am kinda leary about lapping my IHS because I do like the fact that I have the warranty on it. But if lapping it is gonna give me better temps, then I guess I am just gonna have to void it. Maybe I will just remove it all together. Lemme know your suggestions.

Well I reseated my waterblock using the liquid metal, and I got a 12C decrease, probally mostly because it wasn't seated right in the first place, but 12 degrees is 12 degrees, Now I am running at 34C load. And thats with me just seating it about 5 minutes ago. I am not sure if you need to let this stuff cure or level out or whatever. But I am going to run Prime95 for a while and see what happens.

But I know I should be getting better temps then that (I have 3C air blowing through the radiator). I figure my idle temps should be around there. Not at 22c. Cause thats not even the ambient temp in my room. 18C would make more sense if I wasn't using the air from the outside. But I am so I need to figure out what going on with this.

I need to get a temp of the water in the loop and maybe I can base something on that.

Oh well the quest for rediculously low temps continues.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

·
Banned
5,844 Posts
i think i wanna lap my IHS i took my H/S off and the center of the thing doesnt even touch the heatsink. there wasnt a smudge from the grease i dunno if the stock heatsink is bad or the IHS.

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup I have that all setup the right way, I have my pump to my rad to the CPU to the GPU to the res to the Pump. My rad is about 2 feet away from my case, and has dryer ducting to it from the outside. And I have two fans pushing and two fans pulling. i made a custom shroud for it. and its airtight. no air escaping from the top, its all going through the bottom.

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaWaxShop

i think i wanna lap my IHS i took my H/S off and the center of the thing doesnt even touch the heatsink. there wasnt a smudge from the grease i dunno if the stock heatsink is bad or the IHS.

Thats pretty much the same as mine, the IHS seems to be concave. and not making contact with the heatsink in the middle.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
when u say the dryer ducting is into the rad, do u mean air flow is into the rad and then into casing or the air is being pushed out from the rad into the ducting? coz if its the first way then assuming ur ducting is sort of like springy then u r causing a lot of pressure drop for the fan and this would mean u r not getting enough air into the rad from outside and thats why u cannot get the temps...plz let me know b4 i can comment further...

also explain about the part about 2 fans pulling and 2 pushing...

·
Banned
5,844 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by atomicfission92

Thats pretty much the same as mine, the IHS seems to be concave. and not making contact with the heatsink in the middle.

yessss and where it matters the most THE PART RIGHT ABOVE THE CORE!!! lol

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cyrixMII300, this is what I am talking about. The dryer ducting is going from the outside of my house(out a window) to the top of what I am showing you. Also the two top fans are pushing air throught the rad, and the bottom two are pulling is though, ie push/pull. ignore the top fan in the pic. I was just playing around with ideas, I am only using 4 Fans. In the above mentioned setup.

ThaWaxShop maybe it is something with the 3700+ SD, i have no clue. Just really wish I don't have to void my warranty to get it to work right.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
any fans inside the casing to suck the hot air out? i mean are there any fans exhausting the air out of the casing on the opposite site? also consider that you are essentially sucking the hot air from the radiator into the casing....and if there are no fans sucking air out of the fan which exceeds the total of 53+53 cfm which is 106cfm u r basically left with hot air at the temperature of ur radiator inside ur casing...and that is the ambient temperature inside ur casing... the law of thermodynamics says that unless there is adequate insulation, ur cpu temp will be the mean average of ur cooling temp and ur ambient temp inside the casing...i am betting that you will be able to at least reduce another 5 to 10°C by installing an exhaust fan as i mentioned...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Quote:

I need to get a temp of the water in the loop and maybe I can base something on that.

Oh well the quest for rediculously low temps continues.

Yeah, I was going to suggest you compare water and CPU temps. That will tell you where the heat is building up.

34C load sounds cool to me, but if you're hankering for more I'm never one to stand in the way of geeking out!

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That whole thing is outside my case. I have 2 120mm fans in my case exausting air moving about 150-175 CFM, and another 120mm about 80 CFM as an intake. The case is well ventilated.

Maybe I am not understanding you.

The bottom two fans with the shroud are open to the room, They pull the cold air from the top of the rad helping the top fans, Then they expel the air into the room., the bottom isn't sealed. I am gonna make a new diagram to show you how it is working with some air flow arrows.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
thats a good idea make a better diagram and we will see...based on ur gpu load i think it will add couple of °C but then when room temp is 3°C and u get 22°C thats abnormal to me...should be somewhat lower...give if possible complete specs too (including pump capacity and length of duct)....will try to help u tomorrow..gonna check in now...

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
here is a better diagram of it.
But just to correct you on a few things, My Room temps aren't 3C, those are the outdoors temps. The ducting goes out the window in the room to the shroud monster thing in the pic. i really don't know what my ambient room temps are right now. All I know is that the radiator is like really really really cold right now. And my temps aren't reflecting it.
I have a D5 pump.Turned all the way up to setting 5.
I am using about 13 feet of clearflex 60 1/2 ID tubing.
I think I am getting good flow. I really don't know, I have never had a water cooled pc before so I don't know what is good and what is bad. it seems good, it isn't like trickling into my res, it has a some force to it. I am going to try and take a video of it so you can evaluate it.

Like I said I have a feeling its my IHS thats giving me weird temps.
Attachment 19477

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Lap your IHS. I lapped mine. Granted I didn't have a warranty to void, but I buy OEM chips anyways so I don't care.

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey theres the famous SNERP!!!!, I am really thinking about lapping it, the AS5 was really thick in the middle but really thin on the outter edges.

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Well on the other hand you really might have used too much AS5. If you weren't getting extremely high temps with air there is something wrong with the way you installed the block or with how much AS5 you used. I am guessing you have the same CPU as you did.

So if it is the case that you had the same cpu and your temps weren't outrageous with air cooling I'm not going to blame it on the IHS.

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I put a VERY thin layer on the IHS (spread it out), I mean very thin, less then the thickness of paper thin, and it all wound up in the middle, Like it got squeezed there.

My temps were pretty high with air, around 55C with a Big typhoon. Stock clocking on the cpu.

I am gonna let this liquid metal stuff burn in for a while more, My temps are dropping as I speak so something must be happening in there. They went from 35-36C to about 30-32C now.

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Quote:

I put a VERY thin layer on the IHS (spread it out), I mean very thin, less then the thickness of paper thin, and it all wound up in the middle, Like it got squeezed there.

My temps were pretty high with air, around 55C with a Big typhoon. Stock clocking on the cpu.

I am gonna let this liquid metal stuff burn in for a while more, My temps are dropping as I speak so something must be happening in there. They went from 35-36C to about 30-32C now.

Yeah...ok. Lap it. Go to an auto parts store and buy car sand paper. It works much better then the stuff you get from the hardware store. Search for Crimson Mango's lapping guide, it's great.

You might want to check if you could just RMA the chip so you can keep the warranty.

Anyways, I think you are right about the IHS being the problem. It amazed me how un-even mine was when I lapped it. It took forever to get the middle part level with the rest of it.

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i bought a 2 lapping kit a while ago, one from easypckits.com and another from pcviper.com, i used the easypckit one for a friends heatsink and it worked wonders, I am gonna try using the kit from pc viper, It comes with a cutting compound. it should work good enough for the IHS.

Also where do you get your cpu's OEM?

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Quote:

i bought a 2 lapping kit a while ago, one from easypckits.com and another from pcviper.com, i used the easypckit one for a friends heatsink and it worked wonders, I am gonna try using the kit from pc viper, It comes with a cutting compound. it should work good enough for the IHS.

Also where do you get your cpu's OEM?

Yeah, easypckits.com is great.

You can find them OEM anywhere. I got mine from Zip Zoom Fly. They come with a 30 day warranty, without the box, without the HSF, and without the cost of all that extra crap. I figure if a CPU is going to break it's going to be within 30 days or it will be my fault anyways.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts