Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

My last build was a 6700k on a Gigabyte z170x-ud5, but got all nostalgic this morning and hit "add to cart" on the 8086k and now i'm fairly certain the wife's gonna flick me in the giblets, but that's a story for another time. ;)

I'm out of the loop of course, and consider myself experienced(old fart)but still a novice when it comes to much aboot overclocking.

Looking at the Asus Prime and Asrock Extreme 4, would like to stay in the $180 range, but i'll go a different route if it means stable vrms/oc in the end. I don't need all the fancy audio and wifi stuff, it's just about the games.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075RJHN2D/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/ASRock-Mothe...pID=5185HfCkSaL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Thanks for any help! :)

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
This IS OCN. Buy Asus Apex and overclock it to the limit or above ;)

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
How long can you hold out for? Wait for the z390 boards. Too be honest I'm not really impressed with any of the current z370 offerings...

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
Your system is less than two years old but you feel like you're out of the loop? It's the same loop as two years ago.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How long can you hold out for? Wait for the z390 boards. Too be honest I'm not really impressed with any of the current z370 offerings...
Thanks for the feedback.

z390's wont hit until late Aug, yes?
Chip is on it's way, and i doubt i have the patience to let it sit for that long, also brand new boards always seem to have plenty of bios issues to iron out which tend to take months on their own.

I assume most these boards are pretty well baked at this point?

I'm leaning towards the Asrock K6/extreme 4 atm.

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
It's still the same loop. The i7-8086K is the same architecture as your i7-6700K. The only thing you're gaining is cores and threads. There's no improvement in IPC. The i7-8700K came out eight months ago, but you are just now considering the move to six cores? Intel should have an 8-core mainstream processor released by the end of the year, likely whenever Z390 is released. We don't know when that will be. You've waited thing long to add cores, what's a few more months?

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Honestly my favorite board is the Asus z370-g matx board. More USB ports than most ATX boards, wifi/BT, dual m.2, etc. Hits the nail on the head in all the right placed. Unless you plan to SLI/CF (dual GPU) no need to really go ATX. It also falls in the $170-190 range depending on current sales. That said I have also used many Z370-a boards for 8700k builds and it does great for the price. I just think the Z370-g is the most well rounded board out. ITX is pretty nice too with the z370-i.

·
Cat Wrangler
477 Posts
Hi all!

My last build was a 6700k on a Gigabyte z170x-ud5, but got all nostalgic this morning and hit "add to cart" on the 8086k and now i'm fairly certain the wife's gonna flick me in the giblets, but that's a story for another time. ;)

I'm out of the loop of course, and consider myself experienced(old fart)but still a novice when it comes to much aboot overclocking.

Looking at the Asus Prime and Asrock Extreme 4, would like to stay in the $180 range, but i'll go a different route if it means stable vrms/oc in the end. I don't need all the fancy audio and wifi stuff, it's just about the games.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075RJHN2D/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/ASRock-Mothe...pID=5185HfCkSaL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Thanks for any help! :)
Well, Got mine, it's going into a Strix Z370-I. See the build below called "The Honeycomb Hideout"... Work in Progress. Still need RAM and a video card.

If you want ATX, that chip deserves a Maxiumus X Formula. I woulda gone that route, but the cost in software to switch over this rig I'm on would cost too much right now, plus I've had this Corsair Graphite 380T sitting here since 2015 just waiting for something leet to put into it. I was holding out for a Maximus Impact board, but alas, no joy there for two generations, and saw an official answer a month ago from Asus saying that there wouldn't be one.

I ordered the CPU the moment it was available, and the rest today, except the case, which, as I said, I've had since 2015. The 380T gets to lose it's virginity finally!

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Those boards are very far apart for overclocking. The Prime is 8 phase and the Extreme 4 is 12 phase, no contest IMO. Asrock also has an affordable 10 or 12 phase mATX board if you wish to go that route and OC.

There's really no need for a better board than the Extreme 4 unless you are somehow going to use more power than the VRM can handle, on air or water I don't see that happening.

I'd also wait for the 8 core CPUs unless you're happy paying all that for just 2 more cores.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Those boards are very far apart for overclocking. The Prime is 8 phase and the Extreme 4 is 12 phase, no contest IMO. Asrock also has an affordable 10 or 12 phase mATX board if you wish to go that route and OC.

There's really no need for a better board than the Extreme 4 unless you are somehow going to use more power than the VRM can handle, on air or water I don't see that happening.

I'd also wait for the 8 core CPUs unless you're happy paying all that for just 2 more cores.
The prime z370-a is more than capable of a 5ghz+ OC. At the end it is still luck of the draw. I mean my z370-i is pushing the 8700k to 5ghz and I can bench at 5.1ghz but am thermal limited since it is an ITX case. I mean I can probably bench at 5.2ghz but dont want to break 90c

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
I wouldn't pick a board that's good enough when a better board is the same price.
8 phase vs 12...ignoring the VRM heat I'd be in it for the smoother delivery.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Z370I's VRM is too ******* cheap to afford 8086K AVX2 workload.
See AlphaC's VRM ranking table.
BTW why don't you modify Z170's BIOS and CPU to make 8th Gen available on Z170?
Thank you for this, and thanks for the responses and advice folks.:thumb: I bit on the Asrock atx fatality K6.

/crossed fingers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts