Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Common Sense
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time seeing this.. it is amazing, i moved from 1680x1050 120hz (130hz OC) to a 1920x1080 60hz panel.. only kept the 16:10 for the refresh rate.
The jump from TN ti AH-IPS is HUGE! I see colours i forgot existed lol. And a bonus? 90hz OC stable with zero image quality loss, but 100hz shows image quality loss..

Any others in a similar boat?

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,822 Posts
Nothing but praises moving from my TN E2311H to my IPS XF27HU.

I've used IPS panels in the past with terrible response times but this is my first good one. I'm more than happy with it. I won't be buying another TN panel personally.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I mean don't get me wrong -these are ok monitors... but these manufactures are selling us this low quality control crap with bleeding and other issues for way more money than we used to pay. This is not fair

·
Common Sense
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I mean don't get me wrong -these are ok monitors... but these manufactures are selling us this low quality control crap with bleeding and other issues for way more money than we used to pay. This is not fair
Paid £55 shipped.. and it is like new.

·
Common Sense
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Attachments

·
Smug, Jaded, Enervated.
1,278 Posts
Woah, I thought someone necro'd an old thread or something....

I've been pretty happy with my Catleap Q270B 1440p (120Hz OC'ed) monitor for about 5-odd years now, wasn't even pricey when they were first all the rage, something like $550AUD inc. shipping.

No bleed, no dead pixels, nothing, and its the same LG panel that Apple used in their 27" Cinema HD line.

·
Premium Member
6,311 Posts
The first time I saw Crysis 3 running at 100+ FPS on a G Sync IPS panel? Coming from nothing but TN panels? I cried for a few minutes. It was glorious.

·
User
2,334 Posts
You do know that once calibrated,all monitors should display similar colors¿? Most of the differences between TN and IPS were found because back at the time when IPS went mainstream,many TN monitors didn't even offer full REC 709 coverage meanwhile IPS did,and also were not true 8 bit panels,rather 6 bit + FRC.

Nowdays TN monitors are all 8 bit/full coverage of REC 709 (except maybe budget ones) so the difference between IPS and TN remains vision angles,wich again is questionable because it may matter with a TV, but with a monitor,being it close range,it's hard to shift your visual from the center.

·
Registered
168 Posts
You do know that once calibrated,all monitors should display similar colors¿? Most of the differences between TN and IPS were found because back at the time when IPS went mainstream,many TN monitors didn't even offer full REC 709 coverage meanwhile IPS did,and also were not true 8 bit panels,rather 6 bit + FRC.

Nowdays TN monitors are all 8 bit/full coverage of REC 709 (except maybe budget ones) so the difference between IPS and TN remains vision angles,wich again is questionable because it may matter with a TV, but with a monitor,being it close range,it's hard to shift your visual from the center.
Wrong!
TN sucks because of viewing angle limitations and vertical gamma shift.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,829 Posts
A friend of mine has a PC sitting at my place so he can play games when he is here and the only spare monitor i have is TN panel Samsung 2693HM from 2009
Every time he uses it its nothing but complaining and it does suck so i made a deal with him that he will pay half of the costs of a new monitor so i bought an IPS panel LG 24MP59G-P

Its the cheapest monitor i could find with displayport on it and an IPS panel and its 75 Hz and has freesync
One thing for sure it cant be worse than a Samsung 16:10 1200P 60 Hz TN panel from 2009

Probably uses a ton of power as well so thats another reason to replace it
Never going to buy anything that uses TN panels ever again

·
Registered
227 Posts
I read "AHVA" first, that actually felt more like a downgrade for me coming from TN. The glow of those panels is not from this world.

·
Premium Member
6,311 Posts

I tend to mostly agree with you on this, though I'm still a bigger fan of IPS as I think the colors and contrast, overall are generally more vibrant and "pop" more than even a properly calibrated TN monitor.

This reminds me of when I got my first 27" 1440p IPS panel (Acer XBU...) ... at the same time, I had a very well calibrated ROG SWIFT 27" 1440p monitor and I ran them side by side for about a year ... using the Acer IPS panel for everything but twitchy FPS shooters, where I'd then switch over to the faster SWIFT TN panel.

That being said? I did some side by side screen shots showing that an IPS and TN panel can be made to look almost identical:

At LEFT: Acer XB270HU
At RIGHT: ROG SWIFT PG278Q

https://www.overclock.net/photopost/data/1384635/e/e8/e8828b83_mon1.png

https://www.overclock.net/photopost/data/1384635/a/a8/a8e5c77d_mon2.png

I did a full write up about the comparison back in 2015 with a bunch more pics ... here's a link:

IPS vs TN 1440p : https://www.overclock.net/forum/44-...-photos-both-excellent-differing-reasons.html

joel.

·
Hey I get one of these!
7,577 Posts
The screen, and i have zero back light issues at all.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=213498
He's complaining about the $2000 3440x1440 100hz HDR panels in the high end segment or the $500 2560x1440 144hz panels in the "performance" segment, which are not at all relevant to this thread, don't worry about it. :p

My work had the same response as you. As we slowly started removing TN from the environment and putting out higher res IPS panels, we would constantly get that "whoaaaaa its so pretty" reaction.

Until your seat drops half an inch and half your screen goes negative.

Also he had a 1650x screen before. Something tells me it might have been a bit old and faded with maybe even a bad CFL backlight by then yea?

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,822 Posts
That being said? I did some side by side screen shots showing that an IPS and TN panel can be made to look almost identical:
Pictures of a monitor are pointless. Different ISO settings, aperture settings, and room light can make any panel look good or bad - ignoring the fact that the people viewing your pictures are going to be limited by whatever panel they're looking at them on. It's like the speaker/headphone reviews on YouTube where they hold them up to a mic and tell you to "hear them for yourself" on how amazing they are.

Anyone who can't immediately tell the difference between an IPS panel and a TN panel in person isn't someone you should be taking monitor purchasing advice from.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Anyone who can't immediately tell the difference between an IPS panel and a TN panel in person isn't someone you should be taking monitor purchasing advice from.
Oh, I can immediately tell the difference thanks to the lower right corner glow which is always visible, no matter what content is displayed. Anyone who tells you IPS glow isn't a big deal isn't someone you should be taking monitor purchasing advice from.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts