Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Medium by which I am transported:

-CS4397 DAC, heavily modified, Balanced Differential out, 12v SLA Battery powered
-LM3886 Dual-mono Gainclone, heavily modified, 3x oversized toroid, huge decoupled PS caps
-Pinnacle AC400 speakers, totally un-modified (***? I know)
-Elemental Designs 9kv.2 subwoofer, quarter-wave transmission line tuned to 23hz
-No preamp, no physical volume controls (digitally controlled, before it even gets to the DAC), only two capacitors in the signal path. Purity is key. No silly expensive cables, just well-thought-out componentry.

FINALLY I am able to put on a good recording and close my eyes and lose touch with the physical world. Not only can sounds be located left and right, they can be located fore and aft, as well as up and down. Each instrument sings it's own song without being smeared by another.

Here marks a milestone in my audio journey.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's true

this will probably last a week, haha

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 View Post
post some pics of your setup. Placement is key. do you have any room treatments?
I'll have to clean up a bit, but hey, maybe it's all the stuff on my desk that's providing the proper diffraction? haha.

It's a near-field system with small speakers, so room interaction comes into play a lot less. Since the speakers are so small, it doesn't take much distance for it to sound right. My ears are simply at one point of an equilateral triangle, with about 2.5 feet on each side, with speakers (and sub) toe-in to my head, and with a fair bit of space to the back wall.

So i'll clean up and post pics either tonight or tomorrow, depending.

The next step is a clone of my sub, mirrored on the other side. They say that bass is omni-directional...PAH.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, before anyone asks:

1. The speakers are on top of the equipment to bring the tweeters to ear level. Also, they have been isolated with a thin layer of clay between plastic wrap (to keep it from being messy).

2. The grilles are on because they aid with diffusion. These speakers have a "lip" on the edge of the box which causes unwanted reflections when the grilles are off.

3. Yes, I know, these speakers are small and look like nothing special. But know this: I traded out a pair of $500 Celestions because these sounded better. They sound miraculous.

ON WITH THE PICS:

Preamp (Serie G, not in use currently) and DAC (Serie O).

Gainclone w/ wayyy over-built PS, all Nichicon KZ caps, Aerovox AFPS input caps, bypassed volume control.

Grille off: looks totally cheap...
They have the most incredible midrange I've ever heard.

Little custom cooling bit for the GC. It gets hot.

Sorry about the **** picture. Subwoofer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.