Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I just added a liquid cooling system to my computer and after I put it back together it won't power on. Before when it was on air it worked just fine. Even when I press the power button on the motherboard itself it wont work. I have the Maximus VI Formula and it lights up when the power cable is in so I dont know what the problem is...what are the signs of a shot CPU?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObSoL33tSNiiPer View Post

It's not posting at all. When I try to power it up nothing happens at all.
You did try clearing the CMOS as tombom suggested, right? It requires actually pulling out the little watch battery looking thing on the mobo and putting it back in...

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Check switch on back of PSU.

Then all cable connections.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
it can't have anything to do with the liquid cooler, did you knock the case power button cable off it's pin on the motherboard?
it has to be something like that. go over every cable in the system and unplug each one and plug back in.
also is one of the fan or pump cables from the liquid cooler connected to the cpu fan header on the motherboard?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrawesome421 View Post

You did try clearing the CMOS as tombom suggested, right? It requires actually pulling out the little watch battery looking thing on the mobo and putting it back in...
Thats going to be a lot of fun with this motherboard since it has that ROG armor on it. Theres a button on the back of the motherboard where all the connections are thats says Clr CMOS and that doesnt seem to work. During the build I did take the cpu out of its socket. I'll triple check that every cable is connected.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I doubt you need to do that then, if the clear cmos switch didn't change anything I suppose it's something else.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
why would you remove the cpu from it's socket to install a cpu cooler? now you will have to remove the cpu again and get a magnifying glass and see if you damaged or bent any pins.
good luck.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhawn View Post

why would you remove the cpu from it's socket to install a cpu cooler? now you will have to remove the cpu again and get a magnifying glass and see if you damaged or bent any pins.
good luck.
I went to clean off the thermal paste and put some new paste on. For how easy the cpu went off and on id be surprised if there were bent pins. I suppose while im at that I should check if it was cleaned well.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
Quote:

I went to clean off the thermal paste and put some new paste on. For how easy the cpu went off and on id be surprised if there were bent pins. I suppose while im at that I should check if it was cleaned well.
you don't have to remove the cpu from the socket to clean it, you can just use alcohol and a lint free cloth.
I use a camera lens cloth as it has no lint put some alcohol on the cloth and wipe the paste off the cpu and let it air dry.
so anyway if you did in fact remove the cpu from the socket then I would think your issue is a bent pin in the socket
as you have to be very careful when installing a cpu it has to set in straight and set in correctly as there is a notch at one
corner that lines up with the cpu. if not a socket pin issue then there must be a cable somewhere that is not connected good.
post back if you need more suggestions or if you corrected the problem.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I took the cpu out and I noticed nothing wrong. I'll go to a computer place and have them check the components out after I put this together outside the case.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
Quote:

Well I took the cpu out and I noticed nothing wrong. I'll go to a computer place and have them check the components out after I put this together outside the case.
ok then. and good luck.
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanim View Post

Did you plug a PCI-E cable into the 8 pin cpu plug?
You would be surprised how often this turns out to be the issue. I actually have done this myself and so did my buddy with his build. I highly suggest you check this out. Just might be the issue.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrawesome421 View Post

You would be surprised how often this turns out to be the issue. I actually have done this myself and so did my buddy with his build. I highly suggest you check this out. Just might be the issue.
I've seen a ton of posts where this is a issue as well, that's why I know to suggest looking for it
tongue.gif

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I found the sneaky bastard that was messing my comouter up. One of the pins on my 24 pin cable extension was loose...i pushed it back in and now it boots up.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Quote:

Well I found the sneaky bastard that was messing my comouter up. One of the pins on my 24 pin cable extension was loose...i pushed it back in and now it boots up.
Ahh, good then. Glad you got it sorted mate.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
227 Posts
Quote:

That's funny. I just go on and was going to post that you should check to make sure your cables are all connected properly. Was going to note for you to make sure the power switch cables were put back in properly too (if they are split anyways).

Good to see you figured it out though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts