Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Installed Vista last night and although it is pretty and has fancy stuff , It just isn’t right for me. First of all, It seems that MS has “Barrowed†once again elements of other OS s and Web browsers . Second , It doesn’t like half of my programs or is asking me to prove that the programs are mine. Everything on my PC is mine, But I don’t like the fact I have to look up the CD keys to get them to run on Vista. To big brother-ish for me.<br><br>
I’m staying with XP for now and learning Linux

·
Premium Member
19,923 Posts
Ooohhh.. Scary - I hope that the final release isn't like that. I do not need any Orwellian OS presiding over my system.<br><br>
I really want to try it....

·
Registered
975 Posts
I agree.. XP will probably be my last windows OS.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Command line here I come!

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I will probably get vista- ONLY is its CHEAP from college...<br><br>
And I am a 90% Linux user- Windows for games ONLY.. (Office 2007 looks PROMOSING though- hope OOO gets into gear to compete with it!)

·
Registered
9 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>Syrillian</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">Ooohhh.. Scary - I hope that the final release isn't like that. I do not need any Orwellian OS presiding over my system.</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
Yeh....MS has taken Vista to new levels in their fight against OS piracy!<br><br>
MS have finally taken control of the OS's kernel, (something mac have done for some time) by not allowing anything to run at the same privilege level as the kernel, and by shutting down the kernel if anything messes with it........<br>
With Vista you will now have to validate your installation key!<br>
MS will give you 30 days from installation to do so before the OS reverts to, what they call, 'Reduced Functionality Mode'. A validated key may be entered at anytime to return to normal mode.<br>
This process will now be required everytime you receive OS updates from MS!<br>
This 'Reduced Functionality Mode' not only disables Windows Defender, but all genuine add-ons such as Aero User Interface, Ready Boost (virtual memory).<br>
Without validation i guess none of your genuine windows plug ins or any 3rd party software applications will work.<br>
They may let us sift through 'my documents'...lol<br><br>
Regards.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts