Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I heard that Ati 9800 Series were the worse video card ever been made by ATi. There life expam is about 6 month to a year. Because they run hot so I am wondering if this is true?

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLatinHeat

Hey guys I heard that Ati 9800 Series were the worse video card ever been made by ATi. There life expam is about 6 month to a year. Because they run hot so I am wondering if this is true?

No, no, no, They're great cards! They're just pretty outdated these days.

They run hot, But not enough to kill themselves.

And they were no where near the worst they ever made, I'd look at them as one of the best cards ATI made for their time.

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Well, Theres not going to be any difference with flashing the BIOS.

Just overclock the card to the same speeds as the XT and save yourself the trouble of flashing it.

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Quote:

Dosen't it open extra features when flashed to 9800XT?

(To what I can remember) No, It doesn't.

All the pipes are fully unlocked with if its a 9800PRO. Just going to up the clock speeds.

·
Banned
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh ok, well I was reading about if the card had a r360 chip then it would be easy to just flashed it to XT. I did already but I can always flashed it back to a 9800 Pro.

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Well if its running on the XT BIOS with no artifacts, Then just leave it.

Neither are bad, Its all just clock speed difference.

·
Banned
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was thinking about if it die on me to RMA it would at least it would be the original bios over the flashed one unless ATi will not notices. The card I got was free from a friend of mine and now going to replace the heatsink fan etc..

By the way thanks for replying back to me.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Actually flashing it to a 9800 XT changes the voltages as well, so it will run hotter.

But it will also overclock better, if the flash is succesful and no artifacting or overheating that is.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Flashing to the XT bios also opens up some more performace features, i cant remeber which but it does have a performance advantages over a 9800 PRO with XT speeds

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, one of my last 9800 PRO 256, when i flash it to XT, it enable the temperature meassurement feature. Something that PRO doesnt have.

However, it seems not all 9800 PRO 256 has the HW to support it.

BTW, i really think 9800 run hot, and i dont know if is ATI problem or 9800 problem in particular. I always have problems in summer to run games more than 1 hr. And im talking about 28 c ambient temp.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Quote:

Whoever told you that is a complete moron. The 9800 series lived for damn near 3 years.

·
Premium Member
8,376 Posts
I have a 9800PRO in my second machine that is more than 2 years old. The poor thing has been through numerous heatsink replacements (not that they were bad, I just wanted to be able to OC more), and has been running a wicked OC ever since I got it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts