Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was lucky enough to win a 8120 on Retail Access on the Bid4It promotion.

I have a 990 Sabertooth and can't wait to have time to OC it.

Is there anything I should know?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
920 Posts
Its a Great Freebe i would say .
They can run hot when overclocked so get a slightly better cooler depending on money you want to spend .
i had a 4100 and it heated up fast even on water when pushed .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueForm View Post

My condolences.
No need to be like that... it's still a perfectly good cpu that performs quite well.

You may need to upgrade your cooling to get the most out of it though
tongue.gif
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueForm View Post

My condolences.
Troll.

____________________________________________________________

Congrats
thumb.gif
Wish I could help but I haven't OC'd an FX yet.

I know they get VERY hot and use lots of power, so just keep it cool mainly. I'm not sure of the voltage tolerances but the search bar up top there will surely help with that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueForm View Post

My condolences.
LMAO. It's still a great CPU, I am just not holding my breath for Windows to fix their end.

I plan on modding my H50. I was looking at adding a 240 and res. Not sure if the 240 will will be to much for the H50 pump but I have seen mods with it. Eventually I will get a pump and block but money is tight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,793 Posts
Don't listen to Trollz like that. I love AMD (Even thou I own Intel). They have great performance. You will need to get a Better cooler since they heat up fast. Also, Have some A/C in your room
biggrin.gif
GL with overclocking that beast!
thumb.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUZR4LIFE View Post

I plan on modding my H50. I was looking at adding a 240 and res. Not sure if the 240 will will be to much for the H50 pump but I have seen mods with it. Eventually I will get a pump and block but money is tight.
I would go for the Mod btw.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adridu59 View Post

Its not Windows fault you know...
Windows still has to get used to the new agriculture.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
13,096 Posts
Good luck with the new chip, just be ready to add a really good cooler if you want to OC it. And be warned about power consumption if you plan to fold on it with a heavy OC.

Also check out the FX Owner's Club here:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1139726/amd-fx-bulldozer-owners-club/0_50

Let me know if you need anything.

Best regards,

Fellow FX-8150 Owner
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,925 Posts
It runs hot and tend to bottleneck high end GPU's in crossfire/SLI configuration.
With a good overclock you should be able to play all the games, except a few stutter here and there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,129 Posts
You will most def enjoy your new cpu! I am also an owner of fx8120 and it is a great cpu for me. I do not care about reviews, as long as it does what I need it to do that's what matters. I have crossfire hd6850 overclocked to 950/1125 on 1.2 volts and my 8120 is at 4.4ghz with only 1.35volts idle and 1.38-1.40 under load. 4.4 is more then enough speed for me and it plays all of my games flawlessly! Batman Ac and AA, xmen wolverine, bf3 and sniper elite v2. And that's only using it as a quad core as I have the other 4 cores dedicated to 2 other much slower pc's using virtual machine ia remote desktop in win 7. Pretty insane cpu power right there! Have fun with your new cpu and overclock that bad boy! I say at least 4.2ghz and it's great!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by adridu59 View Post

Its not Windows fault you know...
From what I have heard is that Windows isn't utilizing it properly and that they have tried a couple hotfixes to correct the issue. Is this not true?

I also heard that FX runs much better in Windows 8, which will make it look like a software issue.

Any info will be great. I am all for PC education. LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by axipher View Post

Good luck with the new chip, just be ready to add a really good cooler if you want to OC it. And be warned about power consumption if you plan to fold on it with a heavy OC.

Also check out the FX Owner's Club here:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1139726/amd-fx-bulldozer-owners-club/0_50

Let me know if you need anything.

Best regards,

Fellow FX-8150 Owner
I posted my info last night for the club. What would be a good cooler? Should I mod my H50 or buy a H100? I am on a budget right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abs.exe View Post

It runs hot and tend to bottleneck high end GPU's in crossfire/SLI configuration.
With a good overclock you should be able to play all the games, except a few stutter here and there.
Will it bottle neck my 6950 Xfire?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUZR4LIFE View Post

I posted my info last night for the club. What would be a good cooler? Should I mod my H50 or buy a H100? I am on a budget right now.
Will it bottle neck my 6950 Xfire?
I've heard many stories with Bulldozer bottlenecking dual GPU setup.

Will it bottleneck ? Not 100% sure.
You might experience some trouble in a few games, in others none so yeah try the games and check if the GPU usage on both GPU is >95%
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Top