Overclock.net banner

I just got my 8120

1K views 43 replies 20 participants last post by  brownpride1986 
#1 ·
I was lucky enough to win a 8120 on Retail Access on the Bid4It promotion.

I have a 990 Sabertooth and can't wait to have time to OC it.

Is there anything I should know?

Thanks

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueForm View Post

My condolences.
Troll.

Congrats
thumb.gif
Wish I could help but I haven't OC'd an FX yet.

I know they get VERY hot and use lots of power, so just keep it cool mainly. I'm not sure of the voltage tolerances but the search bar up top there will surely help with that.

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueForm View Post

My condolences.
LMAO. It's still a great CPU, I am just not holding my breath for Windows to fix their end.

I plan on modding my H50. I was looking at adding a 240 and res. Not sure if the 240 will will be to much for the H50 pump but I have seen mods with it. Eventually I will get a pump and block but money is tight.

#8 ·
Don't listen to Trollz like that. I love AMD (Even thou I own Intel). They have great performance. You will need to get a Better cooler since they heat up fast. Also, Have some A/C in your room
biggrin.gif
GL with overclocking that beast!
thumb.gif

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUZR4LIFE View Post

I plan on modding my H50. I was looking at adding a 240 and res. Not sure if the 240 will will be to much for the H50 pump but I have seen mods with it. Eventually I will get a pump and block but money is tight.
I would go for the Mod btw.

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by adridu59 View Post

Its not Windows fault you know...
Windows still has to get used to the new agriculture.

#14 ·
Good luck with the new chip, just be ready to add a really good cooler if you want to OC it. And be warned about power consumption if you plan to fold on it with a heavy OC.

Also check out the FX Owner's Club here:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1139726/amd-fx-bulldozer-owners-club/0_50

Let me know if you need anything.

Best regards,

Fellow FX-8150 Owner

#17 ·
You will most def enjoy your new cpu! I am also an owner of fx8120 and it is a great cpu for me. I do not care about reviews, as long as it does what I need it to do that's what matters. I have crossfire hd6850 overclocked to 950/1125 on 1.2 volts and my 8120 is at 4.4ghz with only 1.35volts idle and 1.38-1.40 under load. 4.4 is more then enough speed for me and it plays all of my games flawlessly! Batman Ac and AA, xmen wolverine, bf3 and sniper elite v2. And that's only using it as a quad core as I have the other 4 cores dedicated to 2 other much slower pc's using virtual machine ia remote desktop in win 7. Pretty insane cpu power right there! Have fun with your new cpu and overclock that bad boy! I say at least 4.2ghz and it's great!

#18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by adridu59 View Post

Its not Windows fault you know...
From what I have heard is that Windows isn't utilizing it properly and that they have tried a couple hotfixes to correct the issue. Is this not true?

I also heard that FX runs much better in Windows 8, which will make it look like a software issue.

Any info will be great. I am all for PC education. LOL

#19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by axipher View Post

Good luck with the new chip, just be ready to add a really good cooler if you want to OC it. And be warned about power consumption if you plan to fold on it with a heavy OC.

Best regards,

Fellow FX-8150 Owner
I posted my info last night for the club. What would be a good cooler? Should I mod my H50 or buy a H100? I am on a budget right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abs.exe View Post

It runs hot and tend to bottleneck high end GPU's in crossfire/SLI configuration.
With a good overclock you should be able to play all the games, except a few stutter here and there.
Will it bottle neck my 6950 Xfire?

#20 ·
Quote:

I posted my info last night for the club. What would be a good cooler? Should I mod my H50 or buy a H100? I am on a budget right now.
I've heard many stories with Bulldozer bottlenecking dual GPU setup.

Will it bottleneck ? Not 100% sure.
You might experience some trouble in a few games, in others none so yeah try the games and check if the GPU usage on both GPU is >95%

#21 ·
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by axipher View Post

Best regards,

Fellow FX-8150 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abs.exe View Post

It runs hot and tend to bottleneck high end GPU's in crossfire/SLI configuration.
With a good overclock you should be able to play all the games, except a few stutter here and there.
The H50 won't do much over the stock cooler, I would shoot for at least an H80 or H100.

And it won't bottleneck your 6950 XFire.

#22 ·
Quote:

From what I have heard is that Windows isn't utilizing it properly and that they have tried a couple hotfixes to correct the issue. Is this not true?
I also heard that FX runs much better in Windows 8, which will make it look like a software issue.
Any info will be great. I am all for PC education. LOL
It's not a massive improvement the last I heard maybe 5% at most with an average of 2% increase in low threaded programs. The problem with BD from what I recall is that it is based around a premise that no one is coding for. It seems to do fine the more threaded the program but Intel has for a while really cornered the market and programmers. Games are one area the Intel is extremely well favored. Outside of them it's not so one sided but it's still there. There's nothing wrong with the FX beside maybe being "hot" and a "power hog" but AMD isn't even close to Intel in size, budgets, ect. so I think people were expecting way too much and AMD promised/marketed too much. Ignore the fanboys and be happy with what you got. It beats my Athlon 640 and I've been told my 640 would bottleneck even my GTX275 by fanboys.

#23 ·
Definitely want an H80/H100 or a Kuhler 920 on the beast... those small water loops are wayy too whimpy for OCing such a high wattage CPU. The wattage goes sky high on the FX processors when you OC them, and all of those watts will convert to tons of heat, which all needs to be carried away.

#24 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromUndaChz View Post

Definitely want an H80/H100 or a Kuhler 920 on the beast... those small water loops are wayy too whimpy for OCing such a high wattage CPU. The wattage goes sky high on the FX processors when you OC them, and all of those watts will convert to tons of heat, which all needs to be carried away.
I have an H60 with push pull @ 4.4GHz, no power saving features enabled. And I'm under 1.4v with 20C idle / 48C full load. Every chip is not the same. Mine runs cool all the time. I also heard that Windows Server 2008R2 runs this chip perfectly since it's coded for high core/thread counts. The FX series are just server processors introduced to the mainstream with unlocked multipliers. That's my
2cents.gif

#26 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warfare View Post

I have an H60 with push pull @ 4.4GHz, no power saving features enabled. And I'm under 1.4v with 20C idle / 48C full load. Every chip is not the same. Mine runs cool all the time. I also heard that Windows Server 2008R2 runs this chip perfectly since it's coded for high core/thread counts. The FX series are just server processors introduced to the mainstream with unlocked multipliers. That's my
2cents.gif
So it magically makes a low threaded program become better threaded? I can't believe that because then AMD would probably be telling people that is their "fix".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.