Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I just got my first SSD (Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SATA III). I know that I need to install my OS (win 7 home premium 64bit) to this new SSD. Then I should install MS Office and my games onto this SSD, but how. Currently I have a 1TB HD that is at 296GB used w/ 635GB free space. I do have another 500GB drive that I use ONLY for an external backup that I can use if I need to aid in the transfer of files from one to the other if need be.
I know that I need to unplug the SATA line from the HD to do a clean install of the OS on the SSD. Then plug the SATA from the SSD into the MB SATA 1 port, so that it is the boot drive and not the old HD w/ the old OS, but what do I do to the HD and the old copy of Windows?
I know that with all the smart minds on this page I will get the help that I need to set up this new SSD.
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
32,931 Posts
1) Plug your SSD into a native SATA port (some boards have a secondary set of SATA ports from Marvell, do NOT use those)
2) Backup your 1TB drive to your 500GB drive (would make this easier).
3) Plug your 1TB into a SATA port.
4) Set your SATA mode to AHCI or RAID mode in BIOS (AHCI if available, RAID mode has AHCI built in)
5) Install your OS, MS Office, and the select few games that you want (that will utilize the SSD) onto the SSD.
6) Wipe your 1TB. Use that as your page file drive. Install anything else you want onto the 1TB. Might want to move your user files over to the 1TB as well, so you don't fill up the SSD quickly.
7) Move your backed up stuff back over to wherever you want it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the fast replay pioneerisload
Wipe your 1TB. Use that as your page file drive. Install anything else you want onto the 1TB. Might want to move your user files over to the 1TB as well, so you don't fill up the SSD quickly.
7) Move your backed up stuff back over to wherever you want it.[/quote]

I know that I'm over my head with this. 1. What do you mean by "page file drive?" Is that all other data/programs that I may have on my HD, like iTunes, McAfee, etc.
2. How do I move files from the back up? Via Windows backup/restore? Or drag & drop?

·
Premium Member
32,931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tihsho View Post

thanks for the fast replay pioneerisload
Wipe your 1TB. Use that as your page file drive. Install anything else you want onto the 1TB. Might want to move your user files over to the 1TB as well, so you don't fill up the SSD quickly.
7) Move your backed up stuff back over to wherever you want it.

I know that I'm over my head with this. 1. What do you mean by "page file drive?" Is that all other data/programs that I may have on my HD, like iTunes, McAfee, etc.
2. How do I move files from the back up? Via Windows backup/restore? Or drag & drop?
Page file is an area of your hard drive that Windows uses kind of like RAM. You do NOT want this on your SSD. It's under advanced properties of "My Computer".

Moving your files around, I'd do JUST your files (no programs, those won't move nicely), and yeah just drag and drop or copy / paste.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneerisloud View Post

Page file is an area of your hard drive that Windows uses kind of like RAM. You do NOT want this on your SSD. It's under advanced properties of "My Computer".

Moving your files around, I'd do JUST your files (no programs, those won't move nicely), and yeah just drag and drop or copy / paste.
but then if he runs out of RAM, he runs the virtual memory from the HDD which is so slow! I don't think that's a good idea, correct me if I'm wrong

·
Premium Member
32,931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXimus666 View Post

Quote:

but then if he runs out of RAM, he runs the virtual memory from the HDD which is so slow! I don't think that's a good idea, correct me if I'm wrong
That is correct, but the SSD will still be really slow too, and it'll ruin the SSD (last time I checked anyway). You're not SUPPOSED to use your page file anymore. Some apps / games still require there to be one present though.

·
Old school gamer
1,889 Posts
DO NOT move the paging file. The advantage of the SDD is the near instant seek times and that is a huge benefit for the paging file.

When you make a move to an SSD one of the first things you SHOULD do is break the hoarder mentality and make your system lean and mean. Install the OS and apps you use a lot on the SSD. You can use your spindle drive for data like music, pictures and movies.

Some tricks I found that let me go 100% SSD.

• No more storing music: I do not store music on my system any more. 99% of my music listening I do streaming so all that space has been saved. If I do want stored music I use a NAS so that any PC in the house can access the music with ease.
  • Documents stored online: One of the neatest things I have found is Office 360. With unlimited online storage I can keep my documents easily online and again access anywhere I want to. I do keep offline backups and again use the NAS for a lot of that. On my gaming rig I do not even install office, using the online version for my basic needs.
  • Photos and Movies off system: Just as with the music I do not store TV shows or movies as streaming is so easy to use and keeps my system size small. If I need local, again the NAS is the option I use.
  • Only install what I use: I know gamers that have 15 to 20 games installed and only play 4 of them. I just remove any games or applications I am not using and only keep stuff that is active. For STEAM games it is easy to put backups on an external HD or NAS and then reinstall without the long download time.
They key is to throw out the hoarding mentality and use streaming and online alternatives when you can, which is a lot more often than you think. Taking this approach I suddenly found 240 gig was actually fairly easy for me to live within and with prices now so low I would even consider a 480 gig. Once you go to a pure SSD system moving back to a spindle just feels wrong.
Quote:

That is correct, but the SSD will still be really slow too, and it'll ruin the SSD (last time I checked anyway). You're not SUPPOSED to use your page file anymore. Some apps / games still require there to be one present though.
The whole thing about ruining an SSD with a paging file is a myth and has proven false again and again in real world testing.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar63 View Post

The whole thing about ruining an SSD with a paging file is a myth and has proven false again and again in real world testing.
Exactly, I read somewhere in one of those debunking of tweaks articles that moving the page file to an SSD is the worst thing you could do since you are then back to the same bottleneck, the HDD as you will run out of RAM sometime or the other..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the info. I'm going to give this a try this weekend.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I need help. I may be in over my head. I have the OS installed on the SSD and it runs GREAT!!! But I can't plug the old HDD into a SATA port to wipe/format it with the new SSD as the boot drive. If I have both drives plugged in this is what I get, a black screen w/ "Windows failed to start." "Launch startup repair." If I'm in the BIOS both drives are there and the SSD is the boot drive. Is there a way to format the HDD from a C: prompt before Windows starts, or can I do it from the BIOS?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was FINALY able to get the HDD to appear in "the computer" and I was able to get it formatted. I don't know how, or what was different this time but it is in there. After this is done formatting I need to make sure that the BIOS storage config is in RAID or AHCI? Witch one?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts