Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this thing today hoping it would work with linux but of course it didn't. I tried to print a test page and instead It spit out every piece of paper in the tray and then gave me an OUT OF PAPER message! Then it continued to make this most annoying cranking sound as it tried to feed more paper through it. I pressed cancel repeatedly and even turned it off and on but it still tried to print a test page, spitting out every piece of paper. In a fit of rage, I picked it up and threw it on the floor and it broke into pieces. I feel so horrible right now. I very rarely get this angry and I never just suddenly broke anything but this was my last straw after hearing how perfectly this worked under Linux I went out and bought it for $59 on sale. I have to say it's the biggest peice of crap I ever saw. If you heard the sound this thing makes while printing, you would want to smash it too.
doh.gif

I feel so stupid right now...I can't believe I did it.,

Now I have to use my Canon again.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
What are you doing on linux if you have a short fuse and rage when things don't work?

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Oh, an EPSON printer.
Why am I not surprised, my old Stylus printed every single thing in pink even though I was using new and genuine ink.

Go figure.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Haha I had an Epson printer, worked okay when I had my first windows 7 install on my old HDD, then I installed fresh on my SSD and it didn't want to work. Got fed up with it and went out and bought a HP deskjet 2050 for 25 bucks, haven't had a single issue with it compared to the 10+ I had with the Epson.

·
Banned
442 Posts
Lol, nice. I only ever smash stuff (especially computer stuff) when I'm sure I will never need it again. It's usually so it will fit into the bin better. I once filled an old server (not old enough to be worth anything, I got it for $4 a year before) with paper and lit it on fire from the inside out. Great fun!

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
You can get most stuff working in Linux pretty easily. Most of the time it's just a matter of adding model number to a config file ( like with my digital camera ).

Next time check -> http://www.cups.org/

Nice list of printers that'll work. Also will tell you if it'll work over wifi or not.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well it only cost the same price as a set of new cartridges for my Canon. I hope I can get a grip on my anger. Obviously I let my rage get the better of me.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aweir View Post

Well it only cost the same price as a set of new cartridges for my Canon. I hope I can get a grip on my anger. Obviously I let my rage get the better of me.
It happens... I've never broken anything computer related, but I've totaled a couple cell phones in my time... Brick wall mod'd to be exact

·
Melted Cheese
4,186 Posts
This is what happens when you run Linux. Cool your head and install Windows 7... it will all start to get better.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Canon printers are better than Epson any ways. You should buy a new Canon if you need another printer.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aweir View Post

EPSON and HP printer are pretty much Linux friendly, next time chill out and ask us if you can't figure out what to do.

Lexmark printer on the other hand, not so friendly in Linux.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exostenza View Post

This is what happens when you run Linux. Cool your head and install Windows 7... it will all start to get better.
Your point? That Linux sucks? How helpful is that? And Linux doesn't suck.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts