Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here I am sitting on a 7950 on a 7970 board (AMD) from 2012..while it works for pretty much everything I throw at it with decent frame rates, a 10 year old GPU is just not gonna cut it for the upcoming titles I would like to play. Not to mention the cooling fans have broken twice, which has caused me to buy new ones as a replacement. Looking at temps while playing, they get uncomfortably high for my liking (74c??) or there abouts. I bought a 5600XT back in November, but since AMD cant write software to save its life the only thing I ended up with was CTD and green screens... which made me reinstall my OS 2x and get an RMA on the card.

So here's the issue...How the heck is anyone supposed to get a GPU these days? I was looking at a bot to install to just "fight fire with fire" since scalpers are relentless and the chip shortage is hitting everyone who is looking to upgrade their PC to car manufacturers trying to get boards produced. the costs are going up way to high to even bother looking.

I go to amazon/newegg/bestbuy/B&H/ and various other sites daily to look for cards and nothing. Got email notifications and I'm F5in'g like crazy when im looking...and nothing..
Why can't they put a stop to this? I make good money and yea I can afford to pay for a card that is 3x the MSRP...but at this point it's becoming the principle.. I refuse to pay 3x the price cause a bunch of greedy people don't wanna work for their money and just "Scam" (I use that term loosely) others out of their money.

Conclusion: What do? looking for options because the ones I've tried just aren't working.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I mean it's your choice, this is market forces at work. Demand outstrips supply by a crazy amount and this is what you get, worse even, it will probably not get much better for a year. Even if crypto crashes again, it is still not going to get much better, with all the work from home, people want to upgrade their system. I have a pessimistic viewpoint on the situation, but for now, I'm afraid that's just the reality of the market.

• Rep+
Reactions: GamBoTron and 8051

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mean it's your choice, this is market forces at work. Demand outstrips supply by a crazy amount and this is what you get, worse even, it will probably not get much better for a year. Even if crypto crashes again, it is still not going to get much better, with all the work from home, people want to upgrade their system. I have a pessimistic viewpoint on the situation, but for now, I'm afraid that's just the reality of the market.

Ohh I get it. Yea I could get a gpu for 3x its normal price, but I feel that would be buying into all of this, and thats just not fair. Its the supply/demand stuff. I feel we wont get any sort of market stabilization till at least the first quarter of 2022, just really sad there is nothing in place to stop bots from taking all the GPUS as they come into stock from sites before anyone can get into the sites. I know they have put certain measures in place to stop this, but it has not been enough.

·
Registered
133 Posts
There aren't a lot of good options, another user is looking into buying a pre-built rig just because that is the best way at the moment to acquire a 3000 series nvidia card at uninflated prices.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
You must not have been looking for long. Anybody who REALLY wanted a current gen GPU has made it happen by now.

·
Registered
330 Posts
You must not have been looking for long. Anybody who REALLY wanted a current gen GPU has made it happen by now.
This also depends on the location of the OP, currently in China for example there is just no way of getting anything, bar paying 2500USD for an RTX3080...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anything I have seen is nearly 3x the cost. I refuse to pay that much for a GPU. When I know the MSRP is not even near that. I will not pay nearly $1,500-$2,000 for a gpu. I have the money, but I will not give in to scalpers. Also, I do not have the time to sit on retail websites and "stalk" inventory... I have a life and a job.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There aren't a lot of good options, another user is looking into buying a pre-built rig just because that is the best way at the moment to acquire a 3000 series nvidia card at uninflated prices.
You what's sad? I have looked into pre-built PCs, they also have a huge mark up for anything decent. Most I have seen are selling pre-build's with 1660s for $1500+..I appreciate the reply, but they are having problems keeping up with demand too.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
This also depends on the location of the OP, currently in China for example there is just no way of getting anything, bar paying 2500USD for an RTX3080...
His username has an American flag next to it, but he could be using a VPN. Also, I have never seen someone from China start a thread complaining about prices.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,683 Posts
Consider yourself lucky. I met someone on here today who has a GT 520. Yeah, a GT 520 and he's stuck with it because he has no extra money. You can at least still play some pretty good games. What can he play? I don't know, but I imagine it's not much.

The market predictions are that it might be back to normal by around this time in 2022. A year can go by quickly. Perhaps there are games your system can play very easily that you'd love but haven't tried yet.

·
Graphics Junkie
3,114 Posts
I took me a while but I managed to get a new GPU recently by following a youtube inventory update alert stream. There are twitter/discord/youtube things for inventory updates. That's really the only way you'll get one for a normal price outside of setting up a bot or something like that.

·
Cheesebumps!!
2,316 Posts
This..

Somebody also swapped one of my RTX 3070's to a 6800XT just for the "RTX 3000 series monicker" and he gets ripped off since I paid SRP for the RTX 3070 and I was scalping him for additional cash for the swap to happen and he didn't even bother with my asking price..so now I have a FREE RX 6800XT and another spare RTX 3070 on hand.. :p

TLDR: he was really driven by the URGE of the RTX he doesn't mind paying 3x for it..lmao!!

·
Registered
578 Posts
a 10 year old GPU is just not gonna cut it for the upcoming titles I would like to play.
How about to touch first those gaming titles before you waste money up front for hardware?
In this community there is no fortune tellers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the same issue that I have been waiting for a new RTX 3080 card for 5 months but could not get my hand on one. Recently I gave up and got a GTX1660 card at a reasonable price. I found its performance acceptable except at the extreme resolution of 4K.
I think it may be better to live with this card first until the GPU market becomes more available.

·
toast toast!
1,223 Posts
it's so bad in the UK I couldn't even find a previous generation mid range card in stock at all (apart from ebay where they all end up), let alone a current one. Literally everything is out of stock everywhere except for old passively cooled bottom end cards, and even some of those are out of stock! Most of the usual vendors I used years ago have no GPUs currently available whatsoever.

Most of the best PC games can actually be played just fine on onboard graphics, either because they are very old, or because they could run on that even when they were new. So screw the scalpers and sit it out. A 7950 is still way better than onboard, so there's loads you can do with it in the meantime.

·

13,036 Posts
Bought a NIB Strix 3060 scalped for 900 CAD for my son. Died 8 days later. Sent in for Asus Canada RMA. Still in repair status. Love to buy from a store at a normal price. He's using a 1660 Super for back up. Not a bad card the 1660s.

Younger son is using 10400 UHD 630. He doesn't mind, loves his Ipad.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ohh I get it. Yea I could get a gpu for 3x its normal price, but I feel that would be buying into all of this, and thats just not fair. Its the supply/demand stuff. I feel we wont get any sort of market stabilization till at least the first quarter of 2022, just really sad there is nothing in place to stop bots from taking all the GPUS as they come into stock from sites before anyone can get into the sites. I know they have put certain measures in place to stop this, but it has not been enough.
Had to buy my CPU from Germany, and my GPU from Netherlands from Ebay . Both where 120/140% over MSRP and on top of that you have the shipping fee. So yeah, its not ideal. 3 times over MSRP seems crazy tho.

Unfortunately the market is completely corrupted now, so you kinda have to make a choice: either you wait and sit it out or you take it on the chin and just pay the money
required.

·
Premium Member
20,371 Posts

Ya that would be me :(

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Again if you want a GPU you gotta work for it.
There are tons of streams on youtube and twitch that has stock alerts

And also the newegg shuffle

Also if you got a MicroCenter near you, find out what the stock dates are and show up in the morning before they open and get in line on thos days.
That's what I do for my 9mm, 556, 762 right now.

You can buy prebuilds also for 2~3k with the GPU you want and either keep the whole system or part it out after you pull the GPU.

And last resort buy a BOT and or pay the scalper price.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts