Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No clue what is causing this, so I also got no clue what I need to modify to keep this from happening again? I can't really take a SC of my bios settings because I'm on a Gigabyte board.

I didn't run a 24 hour test, but I ran a 7 hour test + a 2 hour burn test, and no crash. Also played skyrim for 2 hours at max settings, and also Crysis 3 on high, no crash. Using my PC normally when it wasn't even under that much load, then it crashes. Last time it crashed it was as I hit the X to close a window.

My voltage is 1.356v for 4.6ghz.

I've been trying for almost a week and I can't find a stable OC that is 4.5ghz or higher.

Also my rig won't even boot with x45 multiplier, no matter what the voltage is. Someone care to explain that? Same voltage, x45 multiplier, doesn't boot. Bump it to 4.6ghz then it boots, but isn't stable.

I got these disabled:

C1E
EIST
C3, C6 states
CPU_Thermal monitor disabled

Other settings:

Multi step load line = level 7

Vcore = 1.31v

Turbo Disabled

Something here that could be causing the problem?

·
Ultimate Rig Winner
7,280 Posts
Start over, Find your lowest possible voltage @ stock and go from there. Keep adding multi and see how far you get, if you dont boot then apply last known settings and add 1 voltage, post back how far you can go

·
Jack-of-all-trades
1,755 Posts
It's a bit troublesome but it would be great if you would provide more info about your rig and your OC. Here is the rig builder where you can list your components http://www.overclock.net/rigbuilder.

For your bios settings, please list all the settings that you have to ensure that we won't be missing anything. For RAM timings, just leave it at default specs, you don't want to mess with it until your have your overclock stable
thumb.gif

Oh, and lastly, remember that not all CPUs are the same, some can reach high clocks on lower voltage while other's can't even reach 4.5 on a decent voltage.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethermir View Post

It's a bit troublesome but it would be great if you would provide more info about your rig and your OC. Here is the rig builder where you can list your components http://www.overclock.net/rigbuilder.

For your bios settings, please list all the settings that you have to ensure that we won't be missing anything. For RAM timings, just leave it at default specs, you don't want to mess with it until your have your overclock stable
thumb.gif

Oh, and lastly, remember that not all CPUs are the same, some can reach high clocks on lower voltage while other's can't even reach 4.5 on a decent voltage.
CPU: i5 2500k
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68x UD4 B3
Ram: G skill 1600mhz, 4 x 2 8 MBs
PSU: Corsair 650w.
GPU: MSI 670

I listed the only settings I messed with in the above post. If its not listed then it means its default.

Also here is the bluescreen attachment

bluescreencrash.txt 2k .txt file

Maybe someone knows what is specifically causing that? Do I need more V core? Or is something else off?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Ah yes, that's a familiar board... and a familiar processor... AND a familiar BSOD...
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

I had that for AGES, finally got stable, got it again for ages, gave up to the curse of a weird board and bought a different one.
I'm still sticking with my i5-2500k though, those things are indestructible!!!

Do as they say, post everything you can, that's what I was doing a year and a half ago, trying to get this resolved.
Also, it doesn't hurt to make sure your memory passes Memtest as well...
Are you on an SSD?

Thanks -
thumb.gif

·
Registered
689 Posts
Here are some codes below:

Do note that if your motherboard can't feed stable voltage from VRMs to the CPU, you may still get 0x124 BSOD. Also keep in mind the RAM timings.
Quote:
BSOD Codes for SandyBridge
0x124 = add/remove vcore or QPI/VTT voltage (usually Vcore, once it was QPI/VTT)
0x101 = add more vcore
0x50 = RAM timings/Frequency add DDR3 voltage or add QPI/VTT
0x1E = add more vcore
0x3B = add more vcore
0xD1 = add QPI/VTT voltage
"0x9C = QPI/VTT most likely, but increasing vcore has helped in some instances"
0X109 = add DDR3 voltage
0x0A = add QPI/VTT voltage

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So too much Vcore can cause it to BSOD?

I bumped up the Vcore 1 notch, or .005 up from what it was and my voltage under load is now 1.368v.

·
Ultimate Rig Winner
7,280 Posts
What cooler have you got? The stock will struggle with that voltage, you PC might be having a thermal melt down for all we know
thumb.gif

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedroc1999 View Post

What cooler have you got? The stock will struggle with that voltage, you PC might be having a thermal melt down for all we know
thumb.gif
Its a hyper 212+, and my temps are fine. I ran prime 95 for 7 hours, and temps were low 60s on average.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticLord View Post

So too much Vcore can cause it to BSOD?

I bumped up the Vcore 1 notch, or .005 up from what it was and my voltage under load is now 1.368v.
1.368 is not too much to begin with. Also rememeber that code 124 can also be very generic where something is unstable.

@Pedroc1999
He mentioned running stress testing for hours without any crashes.

·
Ultimate Rig Winner
7,280 Posts
True, but if hes bumping up voltages he might had done it without looking at temps, as he was worried about being stable

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The crashes have happened during normal usage, just doing random things on the PC like closing a window, or etc. None of the stress tests crashed me. That makes me wonder if I should just go about using my PC normally for a few days and see if I get any more crashes?

Is it possible that 124 error is completely unrelated to the OC, and could be a driver issue of some sort?

I just noticed something strange on CPUz. I was going to run the burn test on my new voltage, and it was running steady @ 1.368v, then suddenly it jumped to 1.7XX volts for a second then back down to 1.368v.

·
Ultimate Rig Winner
7,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticLord View Post

The crashes have happened during normal usage, just doing random things on the PC like closing a window, or etc. None of the stress tests crashed me. That makes me wonder if I should just go about using my PC normally for a few days and see if I get any more crashes?

Is it possible that 124 error is completely unrelated to the OC, and could be a driver issue of some sort?

I just noticed something strange on CPUz. I was going to run the burn test on my new voltage, and it was running steady @ 1.368v, then suddenly it jumped to 1.7XX volts for a second then back down to 1.368v.
That was problably a small glitch that happens now and the, im almost certain that it didnt actually happen, this happened to me when I was running my Pentium @ stokc and it glitched to 3.8GHz and 2.6 volts so as you can see it does happen and is fairly un common

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuuut View Post

Try and see if enabling C1E helps

And whats your LLC set at?
For gigabyte boards that is multi step load line, and its level 7.

What does C1E actually do? Every guide I've seen says to disable that. I'll try enabling it but I'm not sure what it does?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedroc1999 View Post

That was problably a small glitch that happens now and the, im almost certain that it didnt actually happen, this happened to me when I was running my Pentium @ stokc and it glitched to 3.8GHz and 2.6 volts so as you can see it does happen and is fairly un common
How do I even know CPUz is even accurate then?

·
Ultimate Rig Winner
7,280 Posts
It is, just it is very unlikely that your CPU actually spikes like that. It is rare and you will normally only see it very once or twice ever

·
Registered
689 Posts
As I stated earlier that having unstable VRMs will result in instability. In your case, a spike to 1.7v is simply too much for that CPU. Download HWmonitor and monitor your volts. See if you get any spikes on the 12v rail. That would be a good start to see if anything is wrong with the PSU.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts