Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant help but notice playing FC5 "Arcade" Actual main game doesnt seem as bad, but playing arcade levels on a 10900k @ 5.23GHz and a 6900XT @ 2.7ghz and 4000MHz DDR4 gaming at 2560x1080 i get pretty large FPS dips on certain levels. Really strange as the game is NOT demanding, is it just very a very poorly optimized game engine? For sh*ts and giggles today I loaded the same map on both my pc's in this room (1 pc has 9900K @ 5ghz and a 5700XT, 2nd PC is the specs listed above) and same map had same dips. I just thought this was crazy and never really noticed that this game just seems rather poorly optimized.. Am I correct?

·
I <3 narcissists
6,794 Posts
I've never played the arcade mode in Far Cry, but I dont think the Dunia engine is all that great as far as performance is concerned. Is the arcade mode a sand box type thing? That's how the map editors were in the earlier far cray games, before they added the arcade thing.

·
Premium Member
10,167 Posts
It's not just you.

·
H₂O Aficionado
4,105 Posts
I don’t known the full context of Dunia beyond what I can google.

However, I think it’s worth noting that Dunia was originally developed in a completely different era of game development.

Yes, Ubisoft has improved and revised the engine over time but I am unsure if the tools created 10 years ago could properly utilize hardware today.

To be frank, I’m surprised they can squeeze the level of AAA games out of these outdated engines.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,837 Posts
I don’t known the full context of Dunia beyond what I can google.

However, I think it’s worth noting that Dunia was originally developed in a completely different era of game development.

Yes, Ubisoft has improved and revised the engine over time but I am unsure if the tools created 10 years ago could properly utilize hardware today.

To be frank, I’m surprised they can squeeze the level of AAA games out of these outdated engines.
That doesn't mean anything. Dunia is based on the cryengine which makes it one of the more modern engines in the sense that it's one of the only ones that's not based on the quake engine. All game engines are being constantly updated and improved.

·
sudo apt install sl
8,359 Posts
When I had my Vega 64/Radeon VII most DX9/DX11 games would have some sort of stutter. It's even obvious when using Heaven Benchmark and comparing DX11 vs OpenGL. I just switched to Linux and noticed the performance felt smoother after shader compilation completed.

We've been seeing Windows users since the release of RDNA1 use DXVK a Vulkan translation layer developed for Linux gaming to get rid of stuttering on titles using older APIs. Doesn't improve all games but it definitely can improve performance.

This is the main reason why I'm against backwards compatibility. Even though things work the experience is horrible.

·
H₂O Aficionado
4,105 Posts
That doesn't mean anything. Dunia is based on the cryengine which makes it one of the more modern engines in the sense that it's one of the only ones that's not based on the quake engine. All game engines are being constantly updated and improved.
I’m pretty sure Dunia split off from Cry engine MANY years ago.

And updates and improvements can’t fix another wise outdated engine.

It’s time for it to go.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,837 Posts
I’m pretty sure Dunia split off from Cry engine MANY years ago.

And updates and improvements can’t fix another wise outdated engine.

It’s time for it to go.
Way to completely miss the point. Let me spell it out for you:

No one would claim that the unreal engine is outdated because it's based on the quake engine and likewise it makes no sense to call dunia outdated for being based on the cryengine which is newer than the quake engine anyway. Dunia gets updated just like any other game engine does.

·
H₂O Aficionado
4,105 Posts
Way to completely miss the point. Let me spell it out for you:

No one would claim that the unreal engine is outdated because it's based on the quake engine and likewise it makes no sense to call dunia outdated for being based on the cryengine which is newer than the quake engine anyway. Dunia gets updated just like any other game engine does.
Based on your point, do you believe that Dunia should be continuously updated?

Do you believe engine has received the same level of updates compared to Unreal?

Or... do you think that given the frequency of AAA titles being delivered from Ubisoft, that they prioritize reutilizing their existing tools in favour of modernizing an engine?

Yes - an engine can be updated. The discussion here is what is causing the poor performance with the latest hardware.

We can be more specific and maybe blame the neglect of Dunia. I don’t know but I don’t foresee Dunia keeping up with the times.

·
Guru
1,153 Posts
It's even obvious when using Heaven Benchmark and comparing DX11 vs OpenGL.
Yep, there is indeed that stutter in Heaven. It's not reflected in FPS though.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,837 Posts
Far cry 5 doesn't have poor performance. For an open world game with lots of vegetation it performs about as well as it should.

·
sudo apt install sl
8,359 Posts
Far cry 5 doesn't have poor performance. For an open world game with lots of vegetation it performs about as well as it should.
FPS aren't the entire story, many gamers are experiencing stutter while playing. The most common seems to be when the game auto saves.

Stuttering isn't expected behavior of any game. It's the reason that both the original Crysis and Crysis remastered are practically unplayable on current generation hardware.

·
I <3 narcissists
6,794 Posts
Far Cary is in need of a new/updated/revised engine (all the same thing really), they have squeezed about all they can squeeze out of it. It needs modernizing to take advantage of high thread counts and some of the other cpu optimizations that have come to other engines in the last few years. I think it does pretty good considering what it is doing.

Every game engine needs improvement, no matter how new it is.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,837 Posts
FPS aren't the entire story, many gamers are experiencing stutter while playing. The most common seems to be when the game auto saves.

Stuttering isn't expected behavior of any game. It's the reason that both the original Crysis and Crysis remastered are practically unplayable on current generation hardware.
I beat fc5 and new dawn. Didn't stutter for me. I'm not saying far cry 5 is particularly well optimized, but it's not bad either. You wanna see bad optimization try wildlands.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I'll never understand the FC series. Every time I play one I think the graphics are mediocre, it's clunky, and it feels like it was coded by drunk students who don't really care. I don't think I've ever played more than 2 hours without think how terrible it is. Probably a very unpopular opinion just my 2 cents. Glad to hear they are sticking with tradition though.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,837 Posts
I'll never understand the FC series. Every time I play one I think the graphics are mediocre, it's clunky, and it feels like it was coded by drunk students who don't really care. I don't think I've ever played more than 2 hours without think how terrible it is. Probably a very unpopular opinion just my 2 cents. Glad to hear they are sticking with tradition though.
I get what you're saying. As someone who has played them all, there are a lot of rough edges but it comes together into a good overall experience. The driving is absolute trash in all open world Ubisoft games and that alone really detracts from the gameplay, but the shooting is solid. Running around on foot and sniping everyone in a base is a fun gameplay loop, even in far cry 5. IMO though, Ghost Recon Wildlands and the Sequel Breakpoint are both basically much better version of far cry with the only real difference being that they're 3rd person while running, but still go into first person for shooting.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I get what you're saying. As someone who has played them all, there are a lot of rough edges but it comes together into a good overall experience. The driving is absolute trash in all open world Ubisoft games and that alone really detracts from the gameplay, but the shooting is solid. Running around on foot and sniping everyone in a base is a fun gameplay loop, even in far cry 5. IMO though, Ghost Recon Wildlands and the Sequel Breakpoint are both basically much better version of far cry with the only real difference being that they're 3rd person while running, but still go into first person for shooting.
Funny you say that, when I think of the last game I played I remember driving around and hating it. Something about going from one crappy hut to another or something. To each their own though, I'm sure their some peoples fav games and good on them.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 24 Posts