Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question, I dont watch much tv just mainly movies and what not. Ive always stuck with the, what i consider better, quality of CRT but I was wondering if you can hook up a LCD monitor through a DVI input on a home DVD player. Its a easy question but I'm still confused. I dont need a tuner just the monitor. Thank for help in advance, and wow I haven't been by here in a while.

·
Premium Member
19,078 Posts
LCDs are better than CRTs these days, don't be confused

If the LCD has inputs for video or s-video or rgb connectors, then yes. You may also be able to hook an upconvert dvd player up to the LCD via a HDMI-DVI cable.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
LCDs offer benefits over CRTs but they are not better. Picture wise, CRTs are still king. Where's Robilar when I need him, I'm sure some flamers are about to appear...

But yes, as long as you have the proper cable, you can hook anything up to your LCD, as long as it has the proper input.

·
Filthy Casual
8,653 Posts
Ya, CRTs can do higher resolution, but I'm yet to find a CRT that can compete with my LCD image wise. The fact that they are analog gives them slightly truer color quality, and the absence of a backlight makes the blacks blacker, but I still think that LCDs have far superior picture.

• Rep+
Reactions: hednik

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cgrado
View Post

can't CRTs do higher resolutions?

Not alwyas, but in most cases. Even a 1080P LCD cannot go 2048x1546, while a good number of high-end CRT's can.

·
Premium Member
3,947 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pow3rtr1p
View Post

I still think that LCDs have far superior picture.

No way.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks a ton you all. I was sure i could but i wasn't too sure what the differences between a lcd monitor or lcd were.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
since no one makes a dvd player with DVI outputs or a monitor with component inputs, should i just then try an unconvert player with hdmi output and then use an adapter to convert to DVI. I guess I could also use an Svideo to component adaptor and run that through my comp then onto the monitor. Im being cheap and refusing to purchase a LCD TV right now because my old SD TV isn't good enough any more. any ideas ?

·
Premium Member
19,078 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hednik View Post
since no one makes a dvd player with DVI outputs or a monitor with component inputs, should i just then try an unconvert player with hdmi output and then use an adapter to convert to DVI. I guess I could also use an Svideo to component adaptor and run that through my comp then onto the monitor. Im being cheap and refusing to purchase a LCD TV right now because my old SD TV isn't good enough any more. any ideas ?
My monitor does.

·
Overclocking
9,250 Posts
My Old 17' LG FLATSCREEN got

1600x1024 @ 60hz (Disable "modes that this monitor cannot Display" and I can hit this high)
1280x1024 @ 60Hz
1152x864 @ 75Hz
1024x768 @ 85Hz - 100Hz
800x600 @ 120hz
640x480 @ 72Hz

But it died because it was like 3 year's old. I have 17Inch again but it isn't flat and I'm once again At 1152x864 @ 75Hz. I never tried 1600x1024 on the non flatscreen but I don't really want to

·
Banned
5,890 Posts
My old CRT looked so fuzzy that AA didn't even need to be turned on in games. MY LCD makes me turn it on
CRT< LCD

1 - 15 of 15 Posts