Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got my computer water cooled
. First attempt I had a little accident with the CPU and then discovered I had the wrong water block so I had to go back to air...

I just wanted to thank everyone who posts usefull info in this section since I used it all to piece my kit together.

I'm sitting @ 2.4ghz 1.6v (letting the AS5 sit) 19C idle and 28C load.


My setup.

Double heatercore
1/2" Tubing
Hydor L35 Pump
A64 DD TDX Block
DD Dual 5.25 bay reservoir
2oz Zerex Supercoolant/Destilled water
2 120mm Panaflo Medium 87cfm.

Thanks again everyone.
LL
LL
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil XP2400
Well I finally got my computer water cooled
. First attempt I had a little accident with the CPU and then discovered I had the wrong water block so I had to go back to air...

I just wanted to thank everyone who posts usefull info in this section since I used it all to piece my kit together.

I'm sitting @ 2.4ghz 1.6v (letting the AS5 sit) 19C idle and 28C load.


My setup.

Double heatercore
1/2" Tubing
Hydor L35 Pump
A64 DD TDX Block
DD Dual 5.25 bay reservoir
2oz Zerex Supercoolant/Destilled water
2 120mm Panaflo Medium 87cfm.

Thanks again everyone.
Looks like I need to be talking to you about my watercooling setup, we have similar component setups and this is what i'm looking at doing. How much did ur whole setup cost you and where did you order it all from? Looks like you safely go a lot higher than 2.4 with that cooling setup, I was aiming for that with my 3000 aircooled


Mad props for putting together a super nice setup!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,316 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil XP2400
Well I finally got my computer water cooled
. First attempt I had a little accident with the CPU and then discovered I had the wrong water block so I had to go back to air...

I just wanted to thank everyone who posts usefull info in this section since I used it all to piece my kit together.

I'm sitting @ 2.4ghz 1.6v (letting the AS5 sit) 19C idle and 28C load.


My setup.

Double heatercore
1/2" Tubing
Hydor L35 Pump
A64 DD TDX Block
DD Dual 5.25 bay reservoir
2oz Zerex Supercoolant/Destilled water
2 120mm Panaflo Medium 87cfm.

Thanks again everyone.
Whats your ambient temps evil? Nice setup
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,606 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by *******

Looks like I need to be talking to you about my watercooling setup, we have similar component setups and this is what i'm looking at doing. How much did ur whole setup cost you and where did you order it all from? Looks like you safely go a lot higher than 2.4 with that cooling setup, I was aiming for that with my 3000 aircooled


Mad props for putting together a super nice setup!


www.dangerden.com
they have the best stuff around.

btw, those are sweeeet temps man, glad to know its finally working!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
789 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by adas123

www.dangerden.com
they have the best stuff around.

btw, those are sweeeet temps man, glad to know its finally working!


Thanks man, priced out a complete system at Danger Den and it looks like it's going to run about $450 to cool the CPU and the GPU (kinda spendy, but it all looks well worth it!).

Now hit the "checkout" button
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,606 Posts
wow...i only spent about 350 on mine....but itll be worth it, believe me
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by adas123
wow...i only spent about 350 on mine....but itll be worth it, believe me

I think the reason it got hiked up so high is from the GPU waterblock, the DD nVidia 6 series block is huge and covers the gpu and all of the ram, its like $130 for the block I think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
965 Posts
How do ppl get such low temps?

No matter what I do I can't break 36c idle with room temp water...

19c, thats what I hit with like 5c water!

I mean, there has to be somthing wrong with my chip.. Like the heat spreader not making a good connection with the processor, or maybe his temp probe isn't accurate?

I just always see some ppl being like "20c idle, 30c load" its like ***?! how the hell... They must have broken temp sensors, or there water cooling is magically 10x better then mine (but hell, if your water block isn't any warmer then the water temp, dun see how that could be the problem =\\)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
I hear ya Towlieee. I'm running 1/2" piping, D4 pump and BIX2. Idle 36C and 48C load. I'm going to get some panaflo fans + shroud to see if it will help. But then wc cannot go lower than ambiant. With 19C idle then I guess ambient is maybe 15C? I'll be satisfied if I can get below 30C idle temp, given my ambient is 22-25C
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,402 Posts
it looks like you guys are getting some expensive water cooling, and I do not doubt for a second it isn't worth it. However, if you guys REALLY want to get some nice cooling (and an empty wallet) I would have to mention phase change. the vapochill runs for about $900, but it will keep whatever chip you have at practically any clock at, say, -30C.
http://www.frozencpu.com/cas-193.html
tomshardware has used it repeatedly, it should be the one in the extremus review. either that or its in one of their awesome videos. i, (constrained by a budget and having not owned anything of the sort) have my stock cooler, with AS5 mind you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
965 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ouroboros1827
it looks like you guys are getting some expensive water cooling, and I do not doubt for a second it isn't worth it. However, if you guys REALLY want to get some nice cooling (and an empty wallet) I would have to mention phase change. the vapochill runs for about $900, but it will keep whatever chip you have at practically any clock at, say, -30C.
http://www.frozencpu.com/cas-193.html
tomshardware has used it repeatedly, it should be the one in the extremus review. either that or its in one of their awesome videos. i, (constrained by a budget and having not owned anything of the sort) have my stock cooler, with AS5 mind you!

You must be new here


Phase change is talked about alot here.. However its a very expensive thing to get into as you said $900 heh..

However, theres other ways of making homemade chillers. One way is to use a 5,200 BTU window AC unit, you take off the cold side (I think condensor?) and stick it in a bucket of alcohol along with your comptuers radiator, these are said to keep the temperature at -20c to -30c... and only run $75 for a new one at walmart


I myself will be going this route within a couple months or so.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,990 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by adas123

it comes with consequences...


Adas, you've got w/c.. Is it really nessecary to let the system run for 24hours before putting it in? Or is that just for extreme precautions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
965 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShawnMcGrail
Adas, you've got w/c.. Is it really nessecary to let the system run for 24hours before putting it in? Or is that just for extreme precautions?

really its not necesary to leak test at ALL....

but its advised


I mean, you could hook it up, and have no leaks.. and not need a leak test..

Then again, maybe 12 hours in it'l start leaking...

Depends how much you care about your gear.. I only leak tested for 4 hours..

However like in my situation, I had the clamps on my CPU block on the small part of the barb, and it took 2 hours for 1 drop of water to form.... so it was such a small leak you woulden't notice, but in 24 hours you'd have about 12 drips on your video card from it.....
I fixed that tho
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
965 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dark Inquisitor
[insert cursing at my self here]

thats awsome for you .. wish my watercooling went as smoothly

its still F***ed up
heh I about **** myself like 2 nights ago..
(dun wanna make a new thread to tell ym story, so i'l hijack yours really quick)
[hijack]
like 2 nights ago, my radiators leaks were finaly pissing me off, so I decided to disconect it and not run a radiator (I run a bong anways, and it keeps my temps much cooler then the radiator)

so I disconcted the hose from the graphics card, and a couple drops of water got into the graphics card... Used some toilet paper and Q-tips to dry it up..

Connected all my hoses back, used Q-tips again to make sure NO water, then I went adn got high..
came back a hour later and booted my comp up...
fragments! all the words and crap on bootup were changing colors =\\
when windows loaded up, it showed like half my icons, and the desktop image was gone, and my taskbar never loaded up..
I booted it 3 times and it did nothing =\\

So I took the water block off the GPU, and put the card on top of my box fan aiming up, and left it on there for a hour..
put it back in, perfect


Almost thought I was gonna be compless for 2 weeks tell my birthday, then not be able to get a AMD since i'd need a new card =P

[/hijack]
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dark Inquisitor
[insert cursing at my self here]

thats awsome for you .. wish my watercooling went as smoothly

its still F***ed up
Well it wasnt all smooth sailing... I killed my cpu the first time around due to unknown reasons as soon as I turned it on... I think I tightened the block way too hard and damaged it or something.

My abient temps that day were 20C (air conditioning on blast
and temps ranged from the 19C you see to 23C idle and the highest load I saw was 29C.

During the day I usually see a high of 26C idle and around 33C load. Temp stay pretty much around ambient or a bit lower. My a/c duct points straight to my fans so I think that helps a little, but it's like 8ft away from the fans.

I double checked my temps with a 15 dollar probe and LCD I got from frozencpu and it's checked out to be accurate ranging +1C or -1C.

I bought my watercooling setup from voyourmods.com and it came out to exactly 203 dollars shipped 2-3 day priority mail.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top