Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even when I upgraded my CPU cooler to the H50. This also having issues cooling off my extremely hot QX6700. I wanted to overclock it but I am having a lot of problems finding a voltage and speed that makes it stable. My motherboard bios is odd and I like to have someone guide me through it. I had a old Pentium d 945 overclocked at 4.2 ghz at stock vcore and I had no problems with it but this quad doesn't like to be overclocked at any speed no matter what I try. At one time it needed 1.4 vcore to even boot at 3ghz into windows but the temps were getting insane. I need to know what settings to try. The most confusing setting to me is the FSB VTT term voltage, it goes by percents (2%, 4%, 6% ETC) that doesnt help me any.

Here is my motherboard's pdf http://www.msi.com/product/mb/P6N-Diamond.html#/?div=Manual This has the bios pics and shows what the bios has

Someone please help me with this, i have been trying to overclock this for a week.

stock voltages
Vcore 1.3
NB voltage (1.25)
SB voltage (1.5)
ram voltage (1.8)

·
Turd Burglar
2,148 Posts
I like the H50 but for a hot CPU like that it's not the greatest, what are you getting for temps?

·
Turd Burglar
2,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redragonx;11939950
look at the attachment
smile.gif
doh.gif
My bad, I just woke up so i'm a little derp right now. Are those your stock clock speeds?

·
Turd Burglar
2,148 Posts
Maybe try a high end air cooler? A lot of people on here recommend the Noctua DH-14.

·
Turd Burglar
2,148 Posts
Hmmm, what were you getting for temps with your overclock?

·
Turd Burglar
2,148 Posts
I really don't know that much about Intel CPU and Mainboard's. Have tried messing with FSB and multiplier adjustments and then test for stability?

·
Registered
244 Posts
what is your ambient temp? that seems very high to me so either a: you're mounting it incorrectly, which is possible because the h50 can be a bit tricky b: your room is in the middle of death valley/the sahara or c: your case has no/terrible airflow. give us more details of your setup.

·
Premium Member
9,379 Posts
More vcore.

65nm quads are built like a tank.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
1.4vcore is MORE than enough for 3.0. im thinking your mobo may be the culprit here. the 680i's weren't the best for OCing quads if i remember right. although i had a 680i A1 from evga that ran a q6600 @ 4.1.. so idk..

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes everything is mounted correctly, i removed all my paste and used the preapplied paste, I have the rad blowing in like its suggested, the pump is on tight and not crooked or loosen my case is packed

the 89c temp is only there when I have the vcore to 1.4

i have lots of wires below the gfx card, I have a side fan blowing in and a 120mn front fan blowing in and the psu blowing out

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by l4n b0y
View Post

1.4vcore is MORE than enough for 3.0. im thinking your mobo may be the culprit here. the 680i's weren't the best for OCing quads if i remember right. although i had a 680i A1 from evga that ran a q6600 @ 4.1.. so idk..

i have 680i a2 and it can support 1333 fsb so idk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts