Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the Raiden today and while the glide is epic my Deathadder refuses to work on it.

I've checked the compatibility list and apparently the Zowie AM won't work on it, so I'm guessing Zowie FK won't either.

The main contender right now is the Zowie EC1. If anyone has a better suggestion I'd love to hear it. I'm gonna try to get a new mouse in the morning.

I'd strongly prefer side buttons.

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
you sure need a mouse.

·
Premium Member
8,364 Posts
M-m-m-m-m-m-multipost. I vote for G400, I use it on a soft pad and it works great.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Button on my laptop has sunken in, sorry. I've had moments before where I've tried to close a tab and it's closed like 3 of them and then separated them into new windows. Reporting them to a mod.

This is the first time this has happened to me on a forum where this kind of stuff doesn't get auto-blocked. >_>

Scorpion, the Deathadder works great on soft pads as well. Just not on the Raiden. I kinda need something confirmed to work on it.

"Compatibility:
OK: G300 / Kinzu V2 / KANA / SENSEI / MX518 / EC1 / EC2
NG: WMO / IMO / IE 3.0 / G500 / AM / EC eVo / DRCTM03 / DRTCM15 / XAI
For the DeathAdder user: depends on a sensitivity. Most of high sensitivity may OK, but middle to low sensitivity may not work well."

·
Premium Member
8,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post

Button on my laptop has sunken in, sorry. I've had moments before where I've tried to close a tab and it's closed like 3 of them and then separated them into new windows. Reporting them to a mod.

This is the first time this has happened to me on a forum where this kind of stuff doesn't get auto-blocked. >_>

Scorpion, the Deathadder works great on soft pads as well. Just not on the Raiden. I kinda need something confirmed to work on it.

"Compatibility:
OK: G300 / Kinzu V2 / KANA / SENSEI / MX518 / EC1 / EC2
NG: WMO / IMO / IE 3.0 / G500 / AM / EC eVo / DRCTM03 / DRTCM15 / XAI
For the DeathAdder user: depends on a sensitivity. Most of high sensitivity may OK, but middle to low sensitivity may not work well."
The G400 is about the same as the MX518, it is the direct replacement model and has only a slightly improved sensor. I have both, but I prefer the 518 as it is gloss finish not matte. For comparison purpose, I'm using a corsair MM200 mat, I don't know how similar it is.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
G400 won't work with the Raiden according to Artisan.

Anyway, I read a bit more carefully, and apparently it's the original EC series that will work on Raiden, while the eVo series will malfunction.

That basically limits my options to either SS Kinzu V2 or the Kana.

And seriously, I already mentioned that if just about any mouse would work on the pad I'd get the Zowie FK. I'm looking specifically for mice that will work on this pad. Mentioning ones that don't work isn't helping at all.

Here's Artisan's page: http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?from=&to=en&a=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.artisan-jp.com%2Fitem_raiden_xsoft.html

You can find their compatibility list there. There aren't a lot of entries, so if anyone actually owns a Raiden and has some mice tested that'd be the best.

·
Premium Member
8,364 Posts
Quote:

G400 won't work with the Raiden according to Artisan.

Anyway, I read a bit more carefully, and apparently it's the original EC series that will work on Raiden, while the eVo series will malfunction.

That basically limits my options to either SS Kinzu V2 or the Kana.

And seriously, I already mentioned that if just about any mouse would work on the pad I'd get the Zowie FK. I'm looking specifically for mice that will work on this pad. Mentioning ones that don't work isn't helping at all.
Nevermind.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm leaning pretty heavily toward the Kana right now. Seems the Kinzu v2 has a malfunction speed very close to a level where it would begin to affect me. Unless there's a good reason not to I'll go with the Kana.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
I doubt any optical sensor will work well on it. If I could see a high resolution picture of the surface would help.

On the Hien tracking seems fine vertically and horizontally, but not diagonally. This is because of the way the sewing is done. The slower you move the mouse the worse it is.

If a mouse pad has a consistent pathway/channel (lack of thread in one area) the sensor thinks that it isn't moving. When it sees something that it can use to determine the direction of motion it will start to track. You experience this as path deviation (aka jitter or cursor jump).

Artisan mouse pads seem to have stitching made for a specific glide, not for tracking performance, despite their claims of scientific mouse pads.

From Artisan:

Note : The mouse pads is there to support the operation of moving the mouse important on FPS.
Tracking is not the job of the mouse pad. This is because the sensor does not have a mouse pad. Tracking is the job of the mouse. A fundamental function of the mouse. Artisan is the next generation to break down the old concept wrong.

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
You would sooner get a new mouse, than get a new pad that'd work with any mice?

Also what causes them to malfunction exactly?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by popups View Post

I doubt any optical sensor will work well on it. If I could see a high resolution picture of the surface would help.
Worst case scenario, if the Kana doesn't work despite their claims I'll get a Sensei. Not super excited about the prospect of getting an ub3r1337 9000DPI+ l4z3r mouse, but apparently it's reliable enough (though I've read it has built in accel, which sucks).

And it's the glide I'm looking for, so I really like the Artisan pads. For the mouse I just want it to glide well and to move where I tell it to move and not spazz out.

EDIT: And yeah, I'd sooner get a new mouse. Glide is what I obsess over pretty much more than anything. Hard mats would make it easier for me, but they tend to wear out hyperglides like sandpaper.

What causes them to malfunction is that the mouse fails to track on the surface. My DA will spazz out if I move the mouse too fast. If I move it slowly odd things will happen sometimes, like the cursor moving diagonally upward when I move the mouse to the right and things like that.

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
Quote:

Worst case scenario, if the Kana doesn't work despite their claims I'll get a Sensei. Not super excited about the prospect of getting an ub3r1337 9000DPI+ l4z3r mouse, but apparently it's reliable enough (though I've read it has built in accel, which sucks).

And it's the glide I'm looking for, so I really like the Artisan pads. For the mouse I just want it to glide well and to move where I tell it to move and not spazz out.

EDIT: And yeah, I'd sooner get a new mouse. Glide is what I obsess over pretty much more than anything. Hard mats would make it easier for me, but they tend to wear out hyperglides like sandpaper.

What causes them to malfunction is that the mouse fails to track on the surface. My DA will spazz out if I move the mouse too fast. If I move it slowly odd things will happen sometimes, like the cursor moving diagonally upward when I move the mouse to the right and things like that.
well alright, if thats your thing thats your thing, first hand experience for me: the sensei is a rock solid mouse, you won't look back because of function. Pad compatibility, no idea.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's less of a taste thing and more of an empirical thing. The better my glide is the more consistently I hit 40+ LG in Quake Live.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
All three Artisan mouse pads I used had their issues with optical mice.

I haven't tried the Hayate yet. To bad I missed the sale. I would like a Hayate to come in two other colors (white and red) with hard foam.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Hayate worked perfectly with my Deathadder. The problem with the Hayate is that dust gets caught in the fibers and won't go out in the wash, thus worsening the glide over time.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Does it track perfectly when going slow vertically, horizontally and diagonally? I don't care if it losses some glide if I cannot get it clean, as I use a Hien after all.

Since the Raiden, Hayabusa and Hien don't track well, that leaver the Hayate.

What other cloth pads are out there with no graphics and fast glide?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It tracks perfectly on Hayate, though there is a minor difference in glide for horizontal and vertical movement.

If you don't want an Artisan, the best cloth pads from other vendors are the Zowie G-TF and PureTrak Talent. These are pretty much the only people who make cloth pads that have comparable glide/control to hard pads. Cloth by companies like Razer and SteelSeries are just blatantly inferior to hard surfaces.

·
Mouse reviewer
3,097 Posts
Quote:

It tracks perfectly on Hayate, though there is a minor difference in glide for horizontal and vertical movement.

If you don't want an Artisan, the best cloth pads from other vendors are the Zowie G-TF and PureTrak Talent. These are pretty much the only people who make cloth pads that have comparable glide/control to hard pads. Cloth by companies like Razer and SteelSeries are just blatantly inferior to hard surfaces.
This might be true for glide, but the tracking quality on a Steelseries NP+ is unmatched in any cloth pad I know. The glide on it is rough, but fast. I do better with it than I did with the PureTrak Talent.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ino. View Post

This might be true for glide, but the tracking quality on a Steelseries NP+ is unmatched in any cloth pad I know. The glide on it is rough, but fast. I do better with it than I did with the PureTrak Talent.
Huh... I've never heard of that pad. I really wish they'd stop over-hyping their inferior QcK line if they have superior pads for sale.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts