Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best, most fun, game out their right now that is not a fps? I am kinda tired of racing and shooting games. I was thinking about World of Warcraft but i didn't know if you had to pay to play online.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,521 Posts
yup. WoW is a killer game, spend about 2-3hrs a day playing it(pisses the wife of lol)
another yup, its online only and it cost $15mo if you pay by credit card or it comes out to $10 a month if you buy the prepayed 3mo card from BestBuy or some where like that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:


Originally Posted by DevilDriver

yup. WoW is a killer game, spend about 2-3hrs a day playing it(pisses the wife of lol)
another yup, its online only and it cost $15mo if you pay by credit card or it comes out to $10 a month if you buy the prepayed 3mo card from BestBuy or some where like that.

I don't have 15 bucks a month for a game, i already have xbox live, so i think i will pass on WoW just like i did with City of Heros, which i wanted too, but I am too cheap.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,085 Posts
That is the worse thing game creators can do. Charge for online use, that's just prick material. I wouldn't buy the game based on that i don't want to support pricks like that.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,743 Posts
sloth do you have the resources necessary to handle 10,000 people online trying to play your game (not saying you have one)
but if you did it takes alot of money to run those things.....

but i do think that it sucks and i have yet to give in to the bastards....

but i know why they are doing it....

think about it.... almost everyone in this forum has a game they payed 49.99 for over 2 years ago and they still play it online for free


so in the future its prolly going to be either ad based or pay as you play...

especially for games specifically built for online play....

do you think you should just buy your cable modem and get internet for ever since you have the modem????

no it doesnt work that way
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,085 Posts
the cost of that should be included in the game. They only have to supply a few servers, including the master server, otherwise websites and stuff host games and servers
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,079 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by spookedjunglist

sloth do you have the resources necessary to handle 10,000 people online trying to play your game (not saying you have one)
but if you did it takes alot of money to run those things.....

but i do think that it sucks and i have yet to give in to the bastards....

but i know why they are doing it....

think about it.... almost everyone in this forum has a game they payed 49.99 for over 2 years ago and they still play it online for free


so in the future its prolly going to be either ad based or pay as you play...

especially for games specifically built for online play....

do you think you should just buy your cable modem and get internet for ever since you have the modem????

no it doesnt work that way


Valve don't charge to play on CS or HL on Steam, and thats the way it better stay.

wnewport, if you haven't already, get Command & Conquer Generals Deluxe Edition. Best modern RTS ever, and free online
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,334 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Sloth_Boy

what other games do you have to pay for online (PC Games)

Everquest, Everquest2, World of Warcraft, City of Heros....... That's all I can think of for now..... I think that games like Counterstrike will stay free to play, because people can always set-up their own servers. Not that tough to do and you can kick off those cheaters that spoil it for everyone.....

And to answer your question wnewport, this is a little old, but Neverwinter Nights was awesome. Don't know if your into RPG's, but that is a good one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
645 Posts
ok, the reason cs is free: its not based on a main server, there are thousands thant players thenselves own, maintain and run.

the reason "WOW" isnt free: there are number of main servers owned by a company that need to be maintained by paid employees, how are those employees paid? exactly...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,395 Posts
The best game out right now, hands down, is Grand Theft Auto San Andreas. If you have a PS2, it's a no-brainer. If you don't, it will be out for Xbox and PC in a few months.

Those sites that gave Half Life 2 and (especially) Halo 2 their "game of the year" award over San Andreas are just frickin ******ed. Both of them are just basic shooters with an updated interface. GTA:SA is one of the largest and free-form games ever created. Heck, Rockstar ought to turn it into a MMORPG, the world is big enough...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,395 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Sloth_Boy

the cost of that should be included in the game. They only have to supply a few servers, including the master server, otherwise websites and stuff host games and servers

You need more than a "few" servers. Let's take an old one as a "for instance": Ultima Online consisted of multiple servers per shard (I think it was 5-6 per shard, IIRC), and there were something like 15-20 shards. You do the math. Not all new games may use the same multiple-server-per-shard scheme, but regardless more servers are required than you think.

Plus, there are continuous recurring costs attached to operating these games. Support staff, developers of new systems, content creating/expansion, etc...all things demanded by the players, and all things that cost money in salaries. The shelf price pays for the game's initial development (plus profit), not ongoing salaries. You either need a subscription fee to pay for this stuff, or you don't have them. It's that simple.

"Traditional" games don't have these types of costs. Once the games have hit the shelves, the large majority of staff is rolled off of the project. The overhead of running a simple matching service is trivial compared to an MMORPG, so ongoing staffing is limited (and perhaps not even dedicated to any one game). No or few recurring costs mean no ongoing subscription fee required.

Complaining that MMORPGs have fees is like complaning that chocolate has to many calories. Don't want the calories? Eat a rice cake. Don't want to pay a fee? Don't play an MMORPG.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,743 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by muffin

Valve don't charge to play on CS or HL on Steam, and thats the way it better stay.

wnewport, if you haven't already, get Command & Conquer Generals Deluxe Edition. Best modern RTS ever, and free online

Muffin would you play Ultima online if there were only 50 people in the game?

currently thats the type of numbers that a decent server hosting HL2 or CS
gets,

So in order for you to have a large interactive world with thousands of people being able to play together in a world, you need a whole lot of servers.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,079 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by spookedjunglist

Muffin would you play Ultima online if there were only 50 people in the game?

currently thats the type of numbers that a decent server hosting HL2 or CS
gets,

So in order for you to have a large interactive world with thousands of people being able to play together in a world, you need a whole lot of servers.

Yes...but the producers should incorporate the online costs in the original price or find another way to fund the servers. Charging people twice is just rude


And WTH is Ultima online?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
I used to play a game "Motor City Online" it was a pay to play game and I had no problem paying to play it. I think its just a matter of how much you like a game. If I like playing it I dont mind $10 a month as long as they keep it up to date with new stuff and problem fixes which they all seem to do. Its hard to support a game that millions of people play from all over the world.

Just my 2 Cents
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,334 Posts
I agree with Vulcan, Spooked and Muffin. There are different things going on here. I agree with muffin that games like Everquest and World of WarCraft should not double charge gamers by requiring them to purchase the game and then requiring a monthly subscribtion fee. One or the other.

Vulcan and Spooked are correct in that MMORPG's require a large amount of bandwidth, maintainence and servers. To host such a humongous online world you need to have massive amounts of storage space, coupled with localized servers w/ gobs of bandwidth. This incurrs many extra cost's such as continued developement and maintainence. In this situation it is justified, because the experience is continuously updated to meet user demands. And while Microsoft might include their updates in the cost, games are not played by everyone on the planet and their cost is not so exorbanient (I would never pay $300 for a game!).

I believe that games like CounterStrike will continue to be available online at no charge because they are easily set-up and maintained. Just like any freeware, people are willing to incurr the costs or get sponsors for the modest amount of individuals who play these types of games. But if you were to make a game a never ending quest that changes and is updated regularly it will require some sort of funding other than donations and sponsors.
And Vulcan, GTA:SA might be the most interactive game you have ever seen for PS2, but you have to remember that the engine for that game is nothing compared to that of Half-Life2. The PS2 is not even capable of the type of effects and techniques employed in HL2. I will be very interested to see what the PC version of GTA:SA will look like. I must commend Rockstar games for designing some of the most influential games on the market. I loved GTA:VC and I highly anticipate playing SA.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,079 Posts
Same with the SA stuff, the graphics I've seen are nothing special, and the physics is no where near Sources capabilities. For me the graphics are just as important as the storyline, if the grapics are amazing but the story is weak, then its not the real deal and vice versa. HL2 blends candy with porn, therefore making it just right.

Is distributed computing an option for MMORPGs, like leeching every players bandwidth and computing power, or am I just ******ed?

Now imagine GTA:SA, powered by the Source engine...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,743 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by muffin

Yes...but the producers should incorporate the online costs in the original price or find another way to fund the servers. Charging people twice is just rude


And WTH is Ultima online?

im not sure if i stated it in here or in another post, but i feel that they should charge 50bucks for the online game, which is the same as a regular title, but include three months of service with it, then charge a monthly fee after that , because you basically are getting 3 months at a discount... if it costs 15 a month x 3 = 45 +5 for the CD...

or they coould let you DL the game and pay per month...
or they could just sell the cards like leneage2 and include the cd

and i fyou think they should incorporate the cost into the price of the game thats just silly, unless you want to pay as much a s a new car for a game
because honestly i think that is how much it would cost

Ultima Online was the original MMORPG


i still have not bought into the whole MMORPG thing because i dont have the cash to spare
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top