Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Righto my family is switching to Sprint real soon and therefore ya boy Jplaz needs a new phone. Here are some basic requirements:
  • Full Keyboard
  • Gameboy color/advance emulator
  • smaller screen
and as for the cash- I can sell my current phone (LG Rumor 2) for ~$50 and I have about ~$75 on hand right now. IF absolutely necessary I can sell my Zune HD for ~$100.

What's the deal then?

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
I'm afraid you'll have a tough time of it. You'll need a smartphone for the emulators, and I'm not aware of any with a physical keyboard on sprint except the epic 4G, which is $250, so the zune would have to go, and a little more would have to be raised. It also is rather closer to the large end of the screen sizes, at 4".

Hopefully, someone else has a better solution, but if not, you might have to give up one of your requirements.

If it was verizon, droid 1 would be an easy choice

• Rep+
Reactions: Jplaz

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I don't really want the Epic but if it's my only choice I don't really have too many other options.

+rep for the help.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I'm pretty sure most Andriod phones can run GB/GBA emulators. My droid even has a NES emulator. Battle Toads FTW!

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
I'd avoid it. It's 1.6, and touchwiz 2.0, but of which suck, the older samsung android phones are pretty notorious for problems, all the intercept, omnia, and the moment. And I'd be skeptical on whatever power it might have. Heck, I'm not even sure if the emulators can run on 1.6 or not.

I guess you could try it out though in person.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by jfiaff View Post
I'm pretty sure most Andriod phones can run GB/GBA emulators. My droid even has a NES emulator. Battle Toads FTW!
My point. Old games are awesome! :

Quote:

Originally Posted by E_man View Post
I'd avoid it. It's 1.6, and touchwiz 2.0, but of which suck, the older samsung android phones are pretty notorious for problems, all the intercept, omnia, and the moment. And I'd be skeptical on whatever power it might have. Heck, I'm not even sure if the emulators can run on 1.6 or not.

I guess you could try it out though in person.
It's 2.1 and from July 2010...there are quite a few bad reviews. Sucks to it's exactly what I needed. My brother's suggesting a Palm Pre (he's biased as heck though
) and it does have a (crappy) keyboard and can run VBA but it's aging and the keyboard is really bad...Decisions, decisions....

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
23 hour bump, sue me.
What do you think of the HTC Touch Pro 2? A quick search shows it can run android, but I don't know how well. It's also at the top end of the price range...How about blackberry? There seems to be a GBC emu but it looks buggy...I asked my brother to try the GBA emu on his Pre but he hasn't gotten back to me yet...I also have mixed feelings about the Pixi...on one hand it looks like crap but on the other hand it's exactly what I need...

(sorry bout that just typing what I was thinking)

EDIT: I can always wait a little too...

EDIT2: Any reason newegg's phone prices are so much cheaper? $100 vs $5? http://www.cellstores.com/eCommerce/...9beaf1b98a3e91

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
Running Android on a Touch Pro 2 is kinda sketchy right now. If you do a search here, a couple of folks are doing it. Also check out www.xda-developers.com to find some ROMs.

I have a Tilt2 (AT&T version of the Touch Pro 2) and it's a really nice phone. The hardware keyboard really makes it great. Add in the ability to install custom ROMs and it's a real winner.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jplaz View Post
Right now I'm thinking the winner is the Intercept, after I found out it's only $5 at the egg.

I hope I found this thread in time. DO NOT go with the Intercept. Go with the Samsung Moment. They stopped selling it online a couple days ago, but you might be able to nick it at a store, best buy or radioshack. The latter two without the rebates.

Both phones have issues, but the moment is better, higher res with an AMOLED screen and a full keyboard, but has data lockups, Samsung is taking its sweet time releasing the fix, should be within the next month. The Intercept feels cheap, and only Rev. 0 3g and on top of that also has data lockups, which means you'll get crappier 3g than any other 3g phone. The Moment runs on Rev. A which is full 3g.

The Moment plays any gba game you hit at it without a problem, I have one, and it's awesome! Once Samsung fixes the data lockup issue, i'd say it's a pretty perfect phone <3

Also check out the modding community at sdx-developers.com. Their ROMs do wonders! I showed my friend my phone(he has the Moment), and he said my phone is way faster and smoother than his (he's running the stock Sprint ROM, while im runnign the TI-X ROM from sdx)

Hope that helped
If anything try to find one on ebay or something, well worth it. It used to be $100 bucks with the rebate at Sprint, and $100 bucks no rebate at BB and RS

EDIT: found it on the BB mobile website, so you might still be in luck: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+...contract_desc=

·
Premium Member
9,637 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by manifest3r View Post
I hope I found this thread in time. DO NOT go with the Intercept. Go with the Samsung Moment. They stopped selling it online a couple days ago, but you might be able to nick it at a store, best buy or radioshack. The latter two without the rebates.

Both phones have issues, but the moment is better, higher res with an AMOLED screen and a full keyboard, but has data lockups, Samsung is taking its sweet time releasing the fix, should be within the next month. The Intercept feels cheap, and only Rev. 0 3g and on top of that also has data lockups, which means you'll get crappier 3g than any other 3g phone. The Moment runs on Rev. A which is full 3g.

The Moment plays any gba game you hit at it without a problem, I have one, and it's awesome! Once Samsung fixes the data lockup issue, i'd say it's a pretty perfect phone <3

Also check out the modding community at sdx-developers.com. Their ROMs do wonders! I showed my friend my phone(he has the Moment), and he said my phone is way faster and smoother than his (he's running the stock Sprint ROM, while im runnign the TI-X ROM from sdx)

Hope that helped
If anything try to find one on ebay or something, well worth it. It used to be $100 bucks with the rebate at Sprint, and $100 bucks no rebate at BB and RS

EDIT: found it on the BB mobile website, so you might still be in luck: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+...contract_desc=
Don’t worry I won’t be switching for at least a few weeks if not more. The Intercept sounds like a downgrade from the moment
… is the moment really $95 better than the intercept? See below...

Quote:

Originally Posted by r34p3rex View Post
If I were in your shoes, I'd save up for the Epic. The hummingbird processor/GPU in the Galaxy S line of phones smashes the competition.

Amazon has it for $199: Amazon.com: Samsung Epic 4G Android Phone (Sprint): Cell Phones & Service

If you wait a bit longer, the price will drop at other third party retailers

I think I'm going to wait for
1. Epic 4G price drop
2. Samsung fixes the Moment/Intercept
3. WP7 (a gal can dream!)
4. Something else new.

Thanks for all the help everyone, reps all around

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jplaz View Post
I think I'm going to wait for
1. Epic 4G price drop
2. Samsung fixes the Moment/Intercept
3. WP7 (a gal can dream!)
4. Something else new.
Probably a good plan. Who knows, maybe some holiday deals?

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
yea i would spring for the epic 4g... a friend of mine has it and it's a good phone with a great screen. (i like my evo better)

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
evo all the way!!!!! but if i were to downgrade i would choose the epic.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts