Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello OCN!

After making a series of videos about my last build, I decided that the ghetto setup (my phone or webcam on a stand) wasn't cutting the mustard anymore, and that I wanted to be able to take good, higher quality videos with nice detail to show my viewers on youtube.com.. I'm a huge noob when it comes to cameras, and I honestly dont know that much about them, but I'd really like to know more.

I've taken photos with an SLR camera before, a Sony one, and I really liked the contrast settings and balance on stock, so I'd like to get one of those or another brand, but for under $450 U.S! Any suggestions guys?
Thanks
smile.gif

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was hoping for personal recommendations, the last time I used an SLR camera was years ago
tongue.gif

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
If you want a DSLR that takes good videos, you're gonna have to pay a premium, as the entry-point DSLRs in that range either DON'T have video or only shoot very bad 720p/30.

Look into fitting either a D3200 or a Canon T3i/T2i into your budget.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What about this? These look pretty good, and it's more than I'd like to spend but it's worth it.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzepp3 View Post

What about this? These look pretty good, and it's more than I'd like to spend but it's worth it.
Well, that's not a DSLR, that's a mirrorless camera.

Good in its own right, completely different system.

If you want a mirrorless camera, look at the Sony NEX series.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hi, I personally bought a new DSLR a little time ago and honestly I dont know that much about DSLR's that much but for the price range you are looking for I would go with a Nikon D3100 or D3200 some little changes in specs but both great cameras, but for pure filming I would go with a Cannon because they are just way easier to film with.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-14-2MP-Digital-18-55mm-3-5-5-6/dp/B003ZYF3LO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362524857&sr=8-1&keywords=nikon+d3100
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Digital-18-55mm-3-5-5-6-NIKKOR/dp/B007VGGFZU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1362524884&sr=1-1&keywords=nikon+d3200
lukas,

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha told you all I was a noob
tongue.gif
but thanks for the suggestions, there's a used Nikon D70 in town, are those good for a beginner? They want $270 for it

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Quote:

Haha told you all I was a noob
tongue.gif
but thanks for the suggestions, there's a used Nikon D70 in town, are those good for a beginner? They want $270 for it
It's a 10 year old camera, Nikon's first DSLR as a matter of fact.

Modern entry level cameras are better.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well for a beginner, looking to shoot photos and videos, would a DSLR be better?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Quote:

Well for a beginner, looking to shoot photos and videos, would a DSLR be better?
That depends how much you're willing to learn.

A mirrorless camera is basically an improved standard point and shoot, while any DSLR is a complete system you buy into, a system with endless customization options.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd like to learn quite a bit, just not all at once

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Quote:

I'd like to learn quite a bit, just not all at once
Well, you can only learn as far as your equipment will be able to allow you.

I think a Canon T3i would be a good fit for you.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven.7 View Post

Honestly I'm not much of an expert in DSLR but for me my experience with the T3i was not really good, its just feels really cheap to me and my friends, but the video is outstanding for the T3i also has nice color balance

but still I would go with something else

·
Premium Member
15,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout Lukas View Post

Honestly I'm not much of an expert in DSLR but for me my experience with the T3i was not really good, its just feels really cheap to me and my friends,
If you compare it to a 5D MarkIII, it sure feels cheap... But my XSi has been through a beating, with 4k photos on its back and it's just there, as good as the 1st day, and ready to go though whatever I take it through and even more. I'd expect the T3i to be even better than my aging XSi
smile.gif

·
d[ o_0 ]b
7,317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout Lukas View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven.7 View Post

Honestly I'm not much of an expert in DSLR but for me my experience with the T3i was not really good, its just feels really cheap to me and my friends, but the video is outstanding for the T3i also has nice color balance

but still I would go with something else
and what about it was not really good...?

also just as a side note nice color balance makes zero sense when all DSLR cameras offer preset White Balance and custom white balance options. what lens you use has a pretty significant effect on the apparent colors of the image before post processing.

to the OP: buy what is in your price range. dont bother comparing cameras or lenses on youtube/vimeo as anything that is professionally done will be colored and graded by a professional or semi-pro. so buying into a video system based on those comparisons is by far the biggest mistake that leads to buyers remorse. for a beginner a T2i will shoot the exact same quality video as a 5DmkIII. the difference between what looks professional and amateur is expertise in lighting and post processing as well as a great crew on set to make that image take form. professional quality videos you can watch that have been shot on DSLR cameras were created by a crew of people working together on a set to make that possible as well as a small team of people working to process that image through grading and color correction.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Brief advice from me (didn't really read all the replies): Canon for video. I have seen many T2i's go for very cheap and they have the same sensor as a 7D. You can also buy a cheap adapter for old manual lenses and play with those for video.

·
IT Profeshnul
2,308 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts