Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a media PC project in the works, problem is it will be 2 physical computers in only one case (Mountain Mods Extended U2-UFO with a duality back panel). Now, I want to integrate the cooling loop into both computers instead of having them separate.

Anyone know how to do that? Perhaps I can split the cables from the drive bay LCD (from Alphacool) and connect one set to one MOBO with the other set going to the other MOBO?

Let me know that you thing, be as creative with your ideas as you possibly can.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Biohazard over at Legit Reviews has done exactly what you are talking about. He did a cooling loop for both and used quick disconnects as well. At one time he had a website showing his project log (blog) building the beast.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But the question is, does he have to disconnect one side of the loop for the other side to work, or are both parts of the loop continuous regardless of which computer happens to be turned on at the time?

I want the ENTIRE loop running at all times, even if one of the computers are off.

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
Here is what you want:

A single loop that goes like this:

355 Pump --> Computer 1s blocks --> Computer 2s blocks --> radiators --> res --> pump

Parts list:

2 x EK Supreme HF Full Nickel/Gold
1 x Swift tech 355 Pump
1 x XSPC Replacement top for laing DDC
1 x Swift tech micro res v2
2 x 360 XSPC RX360 Radiators
2 x GPU Blocks
16 x Bitspower Compression Fittings for 1/2" ID 3/4" OD
12 x 1 FT 1/2" ID 3/4" OD Tubing
1 x Flow meter

You really want the flow meter so that you can hook it up to the RPM header on your motherboard to trigger auto-off if the pump dies.

EK Supreme HF is the best block on the market right now. The 355 pump with the XSPC top will easily be able to push 1.0 GPM + through that loop, the XSPC rad will be able to dissipate the heat from the computers even with 1000 RPM fans. I just recommend the swifttech because I have no idea what would fit in your case or if you wanted a cool reservoir or not.

·
Watercooling Enthusiast
4,801 Posts
I know this is a tad absurd, but you could run your waterloop off of an aux psu that fits in the 5.25 bays, like a thermaltake power express 450w which you could keep on at all times. Extreme overkill to power the pump, but the only thing I can think of. Maybe there is like a 100w model similar that won't take up much space. I'm using the 600w version in my UFO build and so far so good.

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fat_italian_stallion View Post
I know this is a tad absurd, but you could run your waterloop off of an aux psu that fits in the 5.25 bays, like a thermaltake power express 450w which you could keep on at all times. Extreme overkill to power the pump, but the only thing I can think of. Maybe there is like a 100w model similar that won't take up much space. I'm using the 600w version in my UFO build and so far so good.
I used something like this for a water pump on an xbox360. If you have a mcp655 this should work fine. The one I had is no longer sold it was a 5amp version for the 12v rail.

Or if you want to use an old PSU you could do this .

·
Premium Member
3,821 Posts
I don't want to interrupt and im'a let you finish, but... How is a dual computer monster case a MPC?

oh. and subb'ed. Let us know where the work log is.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, all of your ideas are great but I'm looking for a slightly more complex yet simple solution. Perhaps if I word it in another manner... Would it be advised to rewire the pumps (I will be using more than 1) so that there are 2 cathodes and 2 anodes so that I may power the pumps with either motherboard so that either 1 of the MOBO's can power them (depending on which computer is on at the time) OR both at the same time (if both computers are on).

Just for further clarity, the loop itself will actually be splitting in a few areas creating a parallel path at the point the coolant reaches the blocksets and reservoirs then join again for the pumps and radiators. Additionally, I will be using 2 aux PSU's, that won't be utilizing the ATX power connectors, to power the case fans, pumps and many SATA devices. If you go to MountainMods.com
and look up the duality back panel on the extended U2 UFO CYO you might just understand my intentions.

Kip69 what on earth are you trying to ask?

·
Premium Member
3,821 Posts
Media PCs are small things with small silent parts that sit next to your TV and feed sound and moving pictures to your other entertainment parts right? They are usually small because they will be in sight and be in with other components. They are silent (often passive) because sound interference is not good while immersed in a movie. How will a 2 PC multi pump monster fit this description ?

Sounds like you need a custom build power switch and sensor device. The only thing I can think of that can do that is an Arduno (I hope I spelled that right). Take a look if thats what you asking for.

And I have just the part for you. I have an all brass 1 input to 3 output water cooling fitting. I think it has a flow meeter in it too. I will take a picture later if I can find it. I was debating about to use it or not as splitting the stream can be bad. Different flow and restriction can lead to trouble spots. Also I was told that one bigger better pump is better than 2, specially if your reservoir is smallish.

I'll get back to you with details.

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
I don't know how much power you are going to be using with this build, but it would really simplify things if you just used a single power supply. Something like the AX1200 would easily power two computers (even if they had i7s and a 480 each!). Then you could just run the pump from that power supply, as if either computer was on the pump would be on as well.

However, if you don't want to power the computer from 1 PSU, I would use three PSUs.

1) Powers components for computer one
2) Powers components for computer two
3) powers fans, lights, and pump.

·
Watercooling Enthusiast
4,801 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliehorse55
View Post

I don't know how much power you are going to be using with this build, but it would really simplify things if you just used a single power supply. Something like the AX1200 would easily power two computers (even if they had i7s and a 480 each!). Then you could just run the pump from that power supply, as if either computer was on the pump would be on as well.

However, if you don't want to power the computer from 1 PSU, I would use three PSUs.

1) Powers components for computer one
2) Powers components for computer two
3) powers fans, lights, and pump.

sometimes 1 psu isn't enough. I would go with using two (one dedicated to each separate computer) then a small one in the 5.25 bays that can run things u want on at certain times or all the time that isn't connected to either computer and could actually leave it on all the time if wanted. Thermaltake power express 450w is only $65 and takes up only 1 5.25 bay

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, the reason that I need such a big case and so many pumps is the result of incorporating 2 separate PC's that will be running 2 different OS's (media PC=Win7 Ultimate to best utilize work group functions, media storage PC=WinXP SP3 which I need because win7 is very function deficient) The media PC is going to be using 3 Sapphire 100280-4GB Radeon HD 5970's, so I won't be able to use the PCIE slots for Startech's PEXSAT32 add on cards. Therefore, I need a separate MOBO for the 16 SATAIII 2TB Seagate Barracuda XT's. That means that even with 32TB of storage, more than half will be consumed when I move all the media files that are scattered among our existing 4 computers, 3 of which are Mac's (I hate MAC, please save me from these silver apples!!!)

As for the PSU's, I would use only 1 PSU if I could but the PSU's NEVER have enough connectors and that drives me nuts because I'm gonna have 4 PSU's that aren't even going to be running at half of their capacity. But I guess it's ok, I've got the funds and if I ever upgrade them further, I'll have the output power for it.

With the pumps I will be using the MCP655.

Is that all the creativity you guys got in your bones? Let your imagination run wild!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts