Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For under 150$, although preferably closer to 100$, I would like to get a headset for gaming. I have several considerations, but would like to be told I'm on the right track, or get something else. These will be used for gaming, movies, music-everything from classical to jazz but it needs a fair amount of Bass as I like rap too. It is important that they can fold or aren't huge in the first place, as they will need to fit in my book bag without taking up tons of space. I do have a basic sound card, the ASUS Xonar DG.

I was considering several, any other suggestions are still welcome too!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P62ND6
Audio-Technica ATH-M50- I don't think these are right for me, but wanted to consider them off of reviews alone. All though all headphones are big, I think these are a little too much for me!

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR7506-Professional-Diaphragm-Headphone/dp/B000AJIF4E/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1326558046&sr=1-1
Sony MDR7506- Reviews say that it is lacking in the mid's but has a good amount of Bass. These look right for me, as they can be folded, have bass, and great reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-280-Pro-Headphones/dp/B000065BPB/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1326558132&sr=1-1
Sennheiser HD-280 PRO. These supposedly overall sound better than the Sony's but don't have as much Bass. What do you think?

I am not an audiophile, or anywhere close, but I don't want to get the wrong thing. These won't be used in a studio or anything along that line. If it turns out, that I can't get a good headset that isn't huge, I will probably get a headset and Kipslich S4's for school.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,417 Posts

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
I would go for the Ultrasone PRO 550's. I personally own a pair for gaming and listening to music and they are absolutely incredible. The closed headphone style gives me that extra punch in the bass that I was looking for. They have a surprisingly great soundstage for this type of headphone.

Let me know if you need pictures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simca View Post

I'm sorry, my friend, but all those headphones are god awful for gaming.
You want this if you like bass: http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-PRO-550-Professional-Headphones/dp/B000YDYEDW
This if you want light bass, but much better gaming: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-A700-Audio-Technica-Headphones/dp/B000E9VKUQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1326575337&sr=1-1
And this if you just want the outright best gaming headphones you can get, but have almost zero bass: http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-AD700-Open-air-Audiophile-Headphones/dp/B000CMS0XU/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1326575337&sr=1-2
I disagree. I owned the AD700's for a long time and I can easily say that the PRO 550 is a much better gaming headset. The AD700's have a wider soundstage but IMO they lack in the depth department. I could not tell if someone was upstairs or downstairs, and I could only tell that planes were in the sky because... well when you hear the sound of a plane you assume it is in the sky (referring to BF3). The PRO 550's do not have as wide of a soundstage but they are still perfect for gaming, and the soundstage height is MUCH better. I can easily differentiate someone below me or above me whereas with the AD700 I could not. I tested this with 3 different sound cards and got the same results (Titanium, Titanium HD, Xonar DX).

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

You want this if you like bass: http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-PRO-550-Professional-Headphones/dp/B000YDYEDW
This if you want light bass, but much better gaming: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-A700-Audio-Technica-Headphones/dp/B000E9VKUQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1326575337&sr=1-1
And this if you just want the outright best gaming headphones you can get, but have almost zero bass: http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-AD700-Open-air-Audiophile-Headphones/dp/B000CMS0XU/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1326575337&sr=1-2
Really? I don't have a problem with choosing a different one, but could you at least tell me why? The Sony's looked like a good deal but I guess not. I really am curious though to as why they would be bad. It is just as important to me that they sound good when listening to music.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeNF View Post

I would go for the Ultrasone PRO 550's. I personally own a pair for gaming and listening to music and they are absolutely incredible. The closed headphone style gives me that extra punch in the bass that I was looking for. They have a surprisingly great soundstage for this type of headphone.
I disagree. I owned the AD700's for a long time and I can easily say that the PRO 550 is a much better gaming headset. The AD700's have a wider soundstage but IMO they lack in the depth department. I could not tell if someone was upstairs or downstairs, and I could only tell that planes were in the sky because... well when you hear the sound of a plane you assume it is in the sky (referring to BF3). The PRO 550's do not have as wide of a soundstage but they are still perfect for gaming, and the soundstage height is MUCH better. I can easily differentiate someone below me or above me whereas with the AD700 I could not. I tested this with 3 different sound cards and got the same results (Titanium, Titanium HD, Xonar DX).
You make a compelling case for the PRO 550!
thumb.gif
If you don't mind pictures would be great! How do they sound when listening to music? Would you have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,417 Posts
Quote:

Quote:

I have no problem telling what's above me and below me. In fact, I think it's pretty dumb (awesome from my perspective) how I can tell where someone is without seeing them simply by hearing their footsteps accordingly. I start walking down some stairs, hear their footsteps, turn around and go back up, boom, free kills (WTH HACKER HOW U KNO?).

Now, I won't argue that the Pro 550s don't have better height, but tbh, I never paid that much attention to that aspect of the headphone for the short time I used them. While I enjoyed a lot of aspects about the headphone, I never thought they were superior to my AD700s for gaming.

In fact, I think downwards sound stage is poor on the AD700s. I almost never heard any footsteps from below coming up. That was annoying and always caught me by surprise. Upwards though? I've never heard any problem in that area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorxrx View Post

Quote:

Really? I don't have a problem with choosing a different one, but could you at least tell me why? The Sony's looked like a good deal but I guess not. I really am curious though to as why they would be bad. It is just as important to me that they sound good when listening to music.
Quote:

thumb.gif
If you don't mind pictures would be great! How do they sound when listening to music? Would you have any other suggestions?

Thanks!
HD280s have no soundstage, M50s have no sound stage, Sony's sound terrible.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Quote:

thumb.gif
Thanks!
They sound absolutely amazing when listening to music. I listen to a variety of genres from electronic to death metal and they suit both extremely well when paired with my Titanium HD (although they sound great with my i9100 as well). I don't have any suggestions for the $150 price range besides the PRO 550's. If you want to raise your budget a little I could include some other options but then you might need a headphone amplifier.

I will get some pics up tonight, watching the Mavs/Kings game right now
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

They sound absolutely amazing when listening to music. I listen to a variety of genres from electronic to death metal and they suit both extremely well when paired with my Titanium HD (although they sound great with my i9100 as well). I don't have any suggestions for the $150 price range besides the PRO 550's. If you want to raise your budget a little I could include some other options but then you might need a headphone amplifier.
I will get some pics up tonight, watching the Mavs/Kings game right now
smile.gif
You have made a really strong case for your headphones, I am going to read much more about them tomorrow! Honestly I don't want to spend more, 150$ is basically my MAX, as I do have other things to spend money on with out having a huge money source (teenager). Currently I am getting the headset because of parents complaining about noise past 8:30
smile.gif
, and my Logitech Z506 aren't cutting it. I'm also buying a Dell Ultrasharp too, so that is a big part of my money gone. I'm no audiophile, so I won't pretend like I am one, and I am pretty confident that whatever I get off of your guys recommendations I will like more than what I currently have. Out of curiosity though, how much more would my budget need to increase for amp+nicer headphones or what not. Would you agree with Simca's ratings of the one's I linked? May your team win? (How do you watch and post on a forum?)

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Quote:

You have made a really strong case for your headphones, I am going to read much more about them tomorrow! Honestly I don't want to spend more, 150$ is basically my MAX, as I do have other things to spend money on with out having a huge money source (teenager). Currently I am getting the headset because of parents complaining about noise past 8:30
smile.gif
, and my Logitech Z506 aren't cutting it. I'm also buying a Dell Ultrasharp too, so that is a big part of my money gone. I'm no audiophile, so I won't pretend like I am one, and I am pretty confident that whatever I get off of your guys recommendations I will like more than what I currently have. Out of curiosity though, how much more would my budget need to increase for amp+nicer headphones or what not. Would you agree with Simca's ratings of the one's I linked? May your team win? (How do you watch and post on a forum?)
Yeah Simca was spot on about the headphones you linked. They really are not the best for gaming. Especially the M-50's. They have no sound separation at all. Also if you want to get better headphones and a nice amp I would probably be looking at $100-150 more. I would personally not spend the extra since the Pro 550's are pretty good anyway. With the extra cash you could look into Beyerdynamic or Denon's.

Also below I will post an unboxing that I made of the Pro 550.

And yay, Mavs are absolutely destroying the Kings. DESTROYING! They were up 52-23 the first half.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Yeah Simca was spot on about the headphones you linked. They really are not the best for gaming. Especially the M-50's. They have no sound separation at all. Also if you want to get better headphones and a nice amp I would probably be looking at $100-150 more. I would personally not spend the extra since the Pro 550's are pretty good anyway. With the extra cash you could look into Beyerdynamic or Denon's.
Also below I will post an unboxing that I made of the Pro 550.
And yay, Mavs are absolutely destroying the Kings. DESTROYING! They were up 52-23 the first half.
Any clue what color I'll get if I order off Amazon?
Now I am like positive I'm getting these. Thank you Simca and ComradeNF for your help!
+Rep

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Quote:

Any clue what color I'll get if I order off Amazon?
Now I am like positive I'm getting these. Thank you Simca and ComradeNF for your help!
+Rep
Well there are only blue and silver/black but I do not think that the blue ones are still in production. I have ordered 3 from Amazon (1 for myself and 2 for friends since I am the only one that has Prime) and all of them were silver/black. The color scheme is pretty cool too. I took them to school and got many, many comments
smile.gif
. Then I let some of the guys with Beats Pro's listen to them and they were humiliated at how bad their headphones sounded compared to these.

But yeah I know you will love them. I know I did!

Do you still want any pics? If you do specify what parts of the headphone you specifically want pics of and I will be glad to take them in like 30 minutes when the game finishes.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Well there are only blue and silver/black but I do not think that the blue ones are still in production. I have ordered 3 from Amazon (1 for myself and 2 for friends since I am the only one that has Prime) and all of them were silver/black. The color scheme is pretty cool too. I took them to school and got many, many comments
smile.gif
. Then I let some of the guys with Beats Pro's listen to them and they were humiliated at how bad their headphones sounded compared to these.
But yeah I know you will love them. I know I did!
Do you still want any pics? If you do specify what parts of the headphone you specifically want pics of and I will be glad to take them in like 30 minutes when the game finishes.
Sweet, I want the White/Black they look awesome. At my school, the Beats still rule
frown.gif
Everyone, and I mean everyone I have asked are like, yup beats are the best! I refuse to get them though. They are just a marketing accomplishment! (congratulations to the marketers on that one)
It's fine on the pics, your video got most of the angles, I will be just fine!

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Quote:

Sweet, I want the White/Black they look awesome. At my school, the Beats still rule
frown.gif
Everyone, and I mean everyone I have asked are like, yup beats are the best! I refuse to get them though. They are just a marketing accomplishment! (congratulations to the marketers on that one)
It's fine on the pics, your video got most of the angles, I will be just fine!
Alright sweet. And the white/black is the same as the silver/black I was referring to. There are only 2 colors: blue and the black/white/silver one.

Take these badboys to school and make those Beats nerds look silly.

Let me know what you think of the headphones when you receive them. Did you purchase off of Amazon via Prime?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm slow to purchase, but I will be getting them from Amazon. I need to return a faulty monitor to Costco to get my money back, so when that happens hopefully within the next four weeks, I will order. There is a chance of going today, so maybe I'll order today!

OT: I got my folding postbit today!

·
Registered
300 Posts
+1 for the 550 pros. Simca also advised me on those, and they were a very good choice. They are amazing when gaming. Specifically when i play battlefield, if there is a tank right on top of me and i am hiding behind a rock or something, i can hear exactly where the tank is relative to my position. If it moves forward i can hear it move forward and i move around the rock i am sitting behind accordingly, same thing no matter which direction the tank moves. Tanks always just give up now haha. As far as music goes, i listen to all types of electronica, as well as metal, classic rock, and psychedelic rock. These things are awesome for all of those genres Buy these and you will not be disappoint. As far as color goes, i got mine off of ebay for 145$ no tax and free 2 day shipping, and they came silver, not blue. Also the phones are very very durable, fold up nicely, and come with an awesome carrying case. Buy! Buy! Buy!
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
8,417 Posts
While I'm totally a fan of whatever you choose to do on your free time, you should refrain from mentioning certain substances on this forum. Just a friendly warning before you get mobbed by mods.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Headset? or Headphones?

Your title says headset, which would be headphones with a microphone built in. That being said, I do like my Sennheiser PC350's

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonz(TM) View Post

Headset? or Headphones?
Your title says headset, which would be headphones with a microphone built in. That being said, I do like my Sennheiser PC350's
My bad, headphones!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Guys, I need some more advice.

Here Goes: Got the headphones last Friday. The weird screw in 3.5mm cable isn't working right. I thought "no big deal, sometimes that can happen" so I go out and get a 6.3 to 3.3mm converter, because the 6.3mm worked fine, and I didn't think it was worth returning or RMAing.

This Friday: 6.3mm stops working while listening to music. No harsh treatment, just stopped playing out of both ears if the cable wasn't perfectly straight.

So what I want to know is, do I return it, or do I RMA it. If I return it, do I get the same thing again, or would you point me in a different direction. I feel if two cables fail within a week, something is lacking. If you point me in a different direction for headphones, they can't look ridiculous, as these do need to go to school.

·
Registered
300 Posts
i had a similar problem when i first got my ultrasones. you have to make sure that the thing is screwed in ALL THE WAY. U really have to shove it up there and make sure u screw it in. That is what your problem sounds like to me. When i first got mine i didnt even know u were supposed to screw it in so my audio sounded ******ed for the first day or 2 till i finally figured it out. So yea ensure that the connection is snug and that the chord is properly screwed in. I use the 6.3mm chord with a converter on it as well. Good luck
thumb.gif

1 - 20 of 35 Posts