Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with me traveling around quite a bit, I was wondering if it was possible to build such a small computer tower that it could easily fit in a backpack. Now this computer would be minimalistic and could be used for LAN parties and whatnot. This computer would primarily be used for gaming (Battlefield 3, etc) on a small-res monitor like 1024x768, on Windows 7, so it doesn't need an overload of CPU or GPU power.

My budget is preferably ~$300-$400 with a monitor included.

What are some really small cases (mini-ATX) that could still deliver enough airflow needed for a gaming computer, yet keeping it as small as possible?

Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Also, has anyone else ever done this before? Once I eventually finish the build, I think I'll call it "The Steam Box", since I'll have my whole library of games on there to bring around
thumb.gif

·
Registered
534 Posts
In your backpack? I feel like the only thing that could accomplish that would be a laptop. I built a shuttle in May with about your budget and I had an old 8600gt that I put in it.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Last year I attempted (kinda) to make an itx media center. Only to realize that the itx cases are generally a bit on the steep side of pricing.
Ah balls. Ok maybe just what i could find locally was steep.

You probably won't be able to put any kind of after market cpu cooler on, But, they usually have the gpu facing the side panel so it would be easy to cut out an intake hole for a stock exhaust type gpu cooler,

Just read a review of the new A10-5800k. Paired with a cheap crossfired gpu you could probably easily do that.. maybe even without the dedicated gpu. I'm sure someone will correct me if this is wrong.

What about a sff case like this
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811108396
find a used lcd with vesa mounting. make some sort of adapter plate/handle and have it mounted to the back of the monitor.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kblaze1996 View Post

My budget is preferably ~$300-$400 with a monitor included.
Wow, that's quite low.

cheapest monitor $100
Windows 7 $100

Uh, $100-200 in hardware that can play Battlefield 3?

$300-400 not including OS and monitor would be more feasible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.