Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Phenomenologist
6,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never done Linux, all I know is my points per day with a 980 ti will increase by large amounts if I go from windows to linux.

a link to what Linux to download would be nice., or are there like USB sticks with them preinstalled already i can just plug it in and boot from that and fold whenever i want that way without compromising my gaming rig and having to make a partition on the win 10 os drive, etc?

·
Phenomenologist
6,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i guess what im asking is can i install this download to a usb stick and boot from the usb stick

http://www.ubuntu.com/download or how do i do a virtual environemtn in windows 10... ugh i dunno i hate linux stuff honestly i just want plug n play but i want to maximize my points per day and i have to have linux for that... ; ;

·
Phenomenologist
6,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i downloaded that ubuntu iso from link above, now i just mount it with a mounting program toa usb stick? and then it will prompt me to try from usb when i boot from usb?

·
Just a Crazy Cat in a Box
5,534 Posts
You either going to have to install Linux in dual boot mode with Windows or run it off a stick (never fold in linux by that method so not sure if it works for folding).

Best thing is get a ISO of latest Ubuntu since that one pretty well documented for installing and folding on.

Software to use in Windows for making a bootable USB: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

Though, if you going to go full on dedicated with folding that 980 Ti then just best to fully install it on the computer. If you worry about losing the Windows just make a image backup of the OS just in case Linux don't work out for you.

If you want I can pull up all my Ubuntu install links, setup folding in Ubuntu, etc. for you. As I keep those handy when I am reinstalling that distro on any of my computers or others computers.

·
Phenomenologist
6,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithanul View Post

You either going to have to install Linux in dual boot mode with Windows or run it off a stick (never fold in linux by that method so not sure if it works for folding).

Best thing is get a ISO of latest Ubuntu since that one pretty well documented for installing and folding on.

Software to use in Windows for making a bootable USB: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

Though, if you going to go full on dedicated with folding that 980 Ti then just best to fully install it on the computer. If you worry about losing the Windows just make a image backup of the OS just in case Linux don't work out for you.

If you want I can pull up all my Ubuntu install links, setup folding in Ubuntu, etc. for you. As I keep those handy when I am reinstalling that distro on any of my computers or others computers.
so i have to fromat windows os to create a partition for ubuntu? agh i dont want to resintall everything... just gonna try it from stick and see if it works.

·
Just a Crazy Cat in a Box
5,534 Posts
You could always try dual boot. But I don't know how well W10 plays with dual booting with a Linux.

W8 was a nightmare for me with dual booting. Talk about fighting with a OS and its master boot record. So I straight up blew 8 off my lappy. Never regretted it since Linux just smokes it in the ground plus I don't game on the lappy anyways.

If you have a spare HDD or SDD you could install Linux on that and do dual booting. Just not sure how W10 will agree with it.

·
Phenomenologist
6,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks everyone, i just tried running folding at home from usb mode ubuntu and it will not work, so i will have to get a spare 54 gb ssd for like 20 bucks off ebay, worth it tho if it nets me like 300k extra points per day in folding.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts