Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what the deal is......my gf's XP got corrupted so I told her we needed to reformat since "chkdsk /r" didn't work, so I delete the partition, go to format the partition, and it just sits there saying "Setup is formatting....", I let it sit for 10 minutes and it stays at 0%.....

Whats the deal? I messenged bigval and he told me to use a real XP disk..I'm in Lakeland, my disk is in Sarasota...plus, it's an upgrade disk and I have no idea if the serial off her lappy will work for the disk :-/

Any comments?

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
Oh lordy--sounds like a potential for disaster. You are going to need the disc (s) that came with the lappy by the sound of it, or a whole new OS with a good Prod ID #--Even after the format and reload you will still need to authenticate online so there is no way around that...

·
Premium Member
16,458 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberDruid

Oh lordy--sounds like a potential for disaster. You are going to need the disc (s) that came with the lappy by the sound of it, or a whole new OS with a good Prod ID #--Even after the format and reload you will still need to authenticate online so there is no way around that...

Not legal, but if you download Win XP Activation crack you can use a generated key, problem is no updates !

·
Registered
421 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker

I don't know what the deal is......my gf's XP got corrupted so I told her we needed to reformat since "chkdsk /r" didn't work, so I delete the partition, go to format the partition, and it just sits there saying "Setup is formatting....", I let it sit for 10 minutes and it stays at 0%.....

Whats the deal? I messenged bigval and he told me to use a real XP disk..I'm in Lakeland, my disk is in Sarasota...plus, it's an upgrade disk and I have no idea if the serial off her lappy will work for the disk :-/

Any comments?

First you need to boot with the XP disk, then go to install, you will be asked if you wish to create or delete a partition. Here is where you must be sure the partitions are there. After this you will be asked if you wish to format this partition, press "Y" and be sure it is formating NTSF. After the format is complete, it will began the install. If you do not have her OS disk, none of this will happen. Most laptops have the MS diget's on the back side of the case. It doesn't matter what the # are, first I would place her # in and see if that works. It did on my Dell, no problems.

·
Premium Member
13,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobyjo

First you need to boot with the XP disk, then go to install, you will be asked if you wish to create or delete a partition. Here is where you must be sure the partitions are there. After this you will be asked if you wish to format this partition, press "Y" and be sure it is formating NTSF. After the format is complete, it will began the install. If you do not have her OS disk, none of this will happen. Most laptops have the MS diget's on the back side of the case. It doesn't matter what the # are, first I would place her # in and see if that works. It did on my Dell, no problems.

Yeah, i know how to do it, it just wouldn't do it, lol.

What I did though, was did a quick format, and let wondows load, and then went back again and formatted again and it worked great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts