Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hai i need help on my overcloking my memory. and i don't anything about memory?

i got 512 pc2100 and 512 pc 2700

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flattit4
hai i need help on my overcloking my memory. and i don't anything about memory?

i got 512 pc2100 and 512 pc 2700
First off you want to use the same memory type in you installation, running the PC2100 and the PC2700 you are making your computer reduce the 2700 to the 2100 rate.

I would recommend purchasing some PC3200 RAM which is what your Mobo is designed for, or if you plan to OC I say get some PC4000, the difference in the RAM speed will make you more than happy.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
He's got a 1.8 Northwood and a 533FSB though, PC3200 would be plenty, but if you've got that processor overclocked from 1.8 to 2.4 like that readout says you've already overclocked the memory

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy
He's got a 1.8 Northwood and a 533FSB though, PC3200 would be plenty, but if you've got that processor overclocked from 1.8 to 2.4 like that readout says you've already overclocked the memory
True about overclocking the memory, but a rule I have come to find is that you can to get the max rating on the RAM to allow for best Ocing performance in which the PC4000 wouldn't be a bad idea.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so my memory is already oc is it? is that my memory suppose to be more that 1024 is it?

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

so my memory is already oc is it? is that my memory suppose to be more that 1024 is it?
What OCing is, adjusting the frequency of rate that data passes within your computer system. so by Ocing your memory you have actually sped up the transfer rate, not the size.

If you are looking for more size you need to get an additional stick of RAM.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

mmmm i get it that alot guys
Like I said before, I do recommend getting some PC4000 which will aloow for transfer speeds quicker than you are doing now, it is a little enpensive, but you will definitely notice the difference.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oke, how much do u thing is gone coast? and 1 more question with my system is that possible to cloking more? because i planing to give away my cpu to my sister and get a new 1

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

oke, how much do u thing is gone coast? and 1 more question with my system is that possible to cloking more? because i planing to give away my cpu to my sister and get a new 1
The cost for the PC4000 is not much greater then PC3200, with the higher RAM you will be able to obtain a 1:1 ratio which will aloow for greater overclocking, and also with the RAM rated higher than you system specifies you will be able to put a higher voltage into it without the worry of massivley overheating your ram.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfillpot
The cost for the PC4000 is not much greater then PC3200, with the higher RAM you will be able to obtain a 1:1 ratio which will aloow for greater overclocking, and also with the RAM rated higher than you system specifies you will be able to put a higher voltage into it without the worry of massivley overheating your ram.
can u thell me 512mb ddr333 what that stand for??? i mean the ddr333?

and can u give me advice should i use pc2700 only or just use pc2100 and pc2700 since i'm still broke

thanks

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

and can u give me advice should i use pc2700 only or just use pc2100 and pc2700 since i'm still broke

thanks

DDR333 another name for PC2700.

As for the use of your RAM, keep all in unless you want to level out the ratio, if you remove the 2100 you may be able to OC further, but will intern have less space allocated as RAM.

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

If i'm not mistaken, his CPU is 400Mhz FSB Northwood with a multi of 18X (18 x 100 = 1800). Right now he has it OC'ed to 533Mhz FSB (18 x 133 = 2400) This is according to his CPU results he posted in his first post.

Quote:

thanks

mfillpot is right, I just wanted to add something to it. The PC2700 is DDR33 which has an actual bus of 166Mhz, but since it is DDR ist is double data rate which makes it 333Mhz (166 x 2 = 333)

I would keep both modules in for now. Right now you are not even overclocking either Memory module. You still have room to OC the PC2100, because it is just now getting to it's rated speed 133Mhz (266Mhz)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would keep both modules in for now. Right now you are not even overclocking either Memory module. You still have room to OC the PC2100, because it is just now getting to it's rated speed 133Mhz (266Mhz)[/QUOTE]
so archer_456 what u say

You still have room to OC the PC2100, because it is just now getting to it's rated speed 133Mhz (266Mhz)

that mean that i can cloking more is it?

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Quote:

that mean that i can cloking more is it?

Since your RAM is running at it's rated speed you should be able to OC it more and keep a 1:1 ratio. If you are able to Increase the FSB you shouldn't have a problem with your memory holding you back. I can't tell you how far your memory will OC, it's something you will have to find out.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by archer_456

Since your RAM is running at it's rated speed you should be able to OC it more and keep a 1:1 ratio. If you are able to Increase the FSB you shouldn't have a problem with your memory holding you back. I can't tell you how far your memory will OC, it's something you will have to find out.

but how? is that the same way that i'm cloking my cpu

and how do i keep the rasio 1:1 sorry i'm not realy know that much about memory

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Quote:

but how? is that the same way that i'm cloking my cpu

and how do i keep the rasio 1:1 sorry i'm not realy know that much about memory

Continue to OC the same you have been doing. As you increase the FSB the memory will also increase at the same rate. once you hit a wall and start getting reboots or any other kind of problems then you need to back it down a little. This is the point where you start looking at voltages and such. Remember if you get to a point where it won't boot at all, just clear CMOS and it will reset everything back to default.

Is there anyway you can get a CPU-Z screen shot of your CPU and Memory tabs?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by archer_456

Continue to OC the same you have been doing. As you increase the FSB the memory will also increase at the same rate. once you hit a wall and start getting reboots or any other kind of problems then you need to back it down a little. This is the point where you start looking at voltages and such. Remember if you get to a point where it won't boot at all, just clear CMOS and it will reset everything back to default.

Is there anyway you can get a CPU-Z screen shot of your CPU and Memory tabs?

if u say that cloking the same i have done it and the high i can get is 2.4 wich is now and i have 400w and i change the v to 1.6

is that all i can do or i missing something

thanks lo

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

if u say that cloking the same i have done it and the high i can get is 2.4 wich is now and i have 400w and i change the v to 1.6

is that all i can do or i missing something

thanks lo

First off thank you Archer for adding what I forgot about the reason for the 333 being twice the bus rate.

As for your system I beleive that the voltage you are using is too much(as per posts I have read), but want someone to verify that for me.
again like I said if you remove the PC2100 then the default transmission rate for the remaining PC2700 will be 166Mhz and by running the same voltages you are you will be able to achieve a higher transfer rate than the default 166Mhz for the PC2700.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfillpot

First off thank you Archer for adding what I forgot about the reason for the 333 being twice the bus rate.

As for your system I beleive that the voltage you are using is too much(as per posts I have read), but want someone to verify that for me.
again like I said if you remove the PC2100 then the default transmission rate for the remaining PC2700 will be 166Mhz and by running the same voltages you are you will be able to achieve a higher transfer rate than the default 166Mhz for the PC2700.

thanks alot guys
i try it

1 - 20 of 48 Posts