Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Intel 640 running on an ASUS P5N32-SLi-Delux. My multiplier is stuck at 16 and the overclocking software won't let me change that. Back on my Abit board (Duramax), using the came CPU, I could change the muti. Is there a program that will let me change this? I have a water cooler and I'm sure I can get it to 4ghz (I had it to 3.99ghz on the Abit board)! Help me plz!

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
you should be trying to OC through the bios..it works better and is more stable,and i dont think u can change the multi....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've gone through the bios, but it's stupid. It gives you just the already quad pumped FSB to tweak, and that's it. I can change the voltage, but even when I get to like FSB 820, it gets testy with me. How can an ABit board unlock the multipliers on the same processor and the Asus not?

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
im not sure, but i may be mistaken, but i think the P5N mobos are good OCers! you should have all the options to OC....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I bought this board hoping it would OC like nuts and it has turned out to be CRAP! I'm very dissapointed. I spent $210, when my $150 board over clock better! Any ideas? Anyone that knows this board well?

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
ok well it sounds like you are trying to OC with software.... big no no...you want to go into the bios and overclock manually,it will have a higher yield and be much more stable. take a few minuites and read through these guides,they are very informative and helpful, it will get you off your feet and get you started OCing, if you have any questions,ASK! and we will all help...

intel OCing guide
http://www.overclock.net/overclock.p...uide-intel.htm
1 more OC guide...
http://www.overclock.net/amd-general...ing-guide.html?

memory timings guide
http://www.overclock.net/intel-memor...articular.html

you will need to download some tempurature monitoring software if you dont have some already, speedfan and everest work well. then u need stress testing software to test for system stability like prime 95 and memtest

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
You cannot change the multi sorry. You will need to overclock by raising the FSB it is the best way. Unfortunately you might be overclocking your memory too far.
What you need to do if this is the case is to run a memory devider. But before i right the book on overclocking. I will just link you to the original

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As a happy update, it has come to my attention there is a problem with my motherboard. According to my happy "user guide", there is an option in the bios that is called "CPU Lock Free". This fuction allows me to drop my multi to x14. Which is exactly what my Abit board did. HOWEVER, I've updated the bios and I don't have this option. So I e-mailed ASUS with my problem and that was back on Thursday. If I don't hear anything by Tuesday, I will call them, demand a fixed patch for the bios or them to send me a new board. THEY WILL PAY...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts