Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been trying to record games with OBS and I keep getting a msg that says "High cpu usage" or something like that. So I decided to overclock my cpu. When I did I used 2 programs. AMD Overdrive to overclock the CPU and Heavy Load to stress the cpu. When I clock it from 3.6 to 3.7 i look at my cpu status and the thermal margin is going into the negatives. I use a Thermaltake Gravity A2 cpu fan. I also have 3 additional case fans. One in the front, one in the back, and one in the side.

Any help would be much appreciated. Feel free to ask for any additional info that may prove helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
799 Posts
The best overclock is always under BIOS mode. Forget about Software CPU overclocking utilities.

Fist off, be sure that you have a proper cooling in the CPU and a good quality PSU. Also, it´s always a good ideia to install a FAN in the VRM heatsink of the MotherBoard, to avoid toasty/throtlling problems.

Be sure to have good air flow in the case. It´s very important a correct air flow to remove the heat from the case.

So lets go.

1° - Make a Full Clear CMOS in the MotherBoard jumper. Let´s start from ZERO !

2° - Reconfigure the BIOS basic (date, boot). Disable C1E, Cool ´n Quite and all energy saving devices.

3° - Increase the CPU multiplier step by step with small increases in clock. Example: | CPU STOCK = 200 * 21 = 4200 | CPU OVER = 200 * 22 = 4400 |. Also increase a noth the CPU voltage.

4° - Increase by 0.1v / 0.2v your NorthBridge and HTT Voltages.

5° - Run stock clocks in the memory for now. But overvolt it a little, if stock voltage is 1.5v, increase to 1.6v. @ 1600Mhz minimum clock.

6° - Enter Windows and test the CPU with IntelBurn in test for five cicles or at least 30 minutes. Check your CPU and socket temps, maximum is 70°c.

7° - If tests fail enter BIOS again and add a little of voltage in the CPU.

8° - Do the steps above until reach your termal CPU / Socket limits.

9° - Monitor your temperatures with HW Monitor or HWiNFO64.

Always increase voltage and clocks by small amounts
. Do not make large jumps it´s difficult to stabilyze the hardware and is a risk.

Good Luck !

thumb.gif

• Rep+
Reactions: TGNerd02

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply!
smile.gif
I will try to use the bios instead. It is going to be a pain because I don't have an ssd and it takes forever to boot up. One more thing. I know this is an overclocking forum but is there any way I can improve boot times before I do this?
smile.gif

·
Registered
799 Posts
Thanks for the Rep, remember to install a FAN in the VRM heatsink area of the MotherBoard, since the VRM start to become toasty in the stress tests with higher CPU voltages.

If you be carefull about your CPU/SOCKET/VRM temps, you are in a good position to avoid problems and clock that FX up.

I believe that 4.5~4.6Ghz is possible, but that depends of your PC parts. Motherboard VRM layout can be a limitation in your overclock.

Good Luck !

cheers.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGNerd02 View Post

Also i'm new to this website but i see a rep+ icon. How do I rep+ you?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry i'm a noob but what does VRM mean? Did you mean install a CPU fan on the cpu because i did that.

·
Registered
799 Posts
The VRM is the part of the MotherBoard that feeds the CPU with power. It become very hot with overlclock especially in burn in tests.

You may burn your hardware if you dont take the necessary precautions. Be carefull !

Every MotherBoard have one VRM layout. Some motherboardds have 4 + 1 power phase, others 6 + 2 , etc.

If you have a cheap motherboard it can be a problem. They tend to have less coling in the VRM and weaker VRM layout.

Some motherboards dont even have heatsink in the VRM, they are naked, with is bad, very bad for overclocking.

Whats your complete RIG configuration?

CPU, MotherBoard, PSU, i need everything.

·
Registered
799 Posts
You need something like this in the VRM´s:

You need to cake care of the temps of theses 3 listed:

About boot times, you can improve Hard Disk performance defragmenting it once a day. You will be amazed with the diference after some weeks of this procedure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Specs:
AMD FX-4100
MSI 970A-G43 Motherboard
AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
1TB TOSHIBA MQ01ABD100 ATA Device (SATA)
8GB DDR3 Ram
Thermaltake Gravity A1 CPU Cooler
600W ATX Power Supply

Thanks for doing all of this. I really didn't expect anyone to help me.
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

·
Registered
799 Posts
That´s a nice RIG, congratulations!

About the MotherBoard, we have a situation. All the VRM are naked !

Se this picture:

Look at the yellow area. As you can see there no heatsink to dissipate the VRM heat. It´s a real problem.

You will have to buy a cooler and install on it, or even a heatsink to dissipate the heat.

Overclock with this board is a risk, you must address this issue before overclock your CPU.

Actually, i do not recomend you overclock with this board, but as you have a quad core, it can be possible since the CPU draws less power under load.

Be carefull first cool down the VRM you can toast your VRM, or you can kill the CPU/Motherboard!

Good Luck !
Quote:

Specs:
AMD FX-4100
MSI 970A-G43 Motherboard
AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
1TB TOSHIBA MQ01ABD100 ATA Device (SATA)
8GB DDR3 Ram
Thermaltake Gravity A1 CPU Cooler
600W ATX Power Supply

Thanks for doing all of this. I really didn't expect anyone to help me.
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

·
Registered
799 Posts
Yes it was bad, remember defragment your hard drive several times, the more you do, the best performance you get from the Hard drive. Resuming the more you do it, faster your drive retrieve information saved in it.

You will see good performance increase after several runs.

About your PSU, what is the brand ?

thumb.gif

Quote:

Ok thanks, i'm defragmenting my hard drive. It was 16% fragmented. Is that bad?

·
curmudgeon
5,930 Posts
About that G43, it does not have any safety measures installed to throttle it down when it overheats. Therefore it will run until it catches on fire. Literally. Seriously. The G43, G45, and G46 are the boards that ruined MSI's reputation.

That board can handle an 8xxx at stock clocks and a 4xxx with a mild overclock only. Go here and click on MSI. http://www.overclock.net/t/946407/amd-motherboard-vrm-information-list

·
Registered
109 Posts
I recommend to downvolt as much as you can before you attempt any overclock. Any CPU has a linear ratio between frequency and voltage, and often AMD CPUs are given more voltage than they really need at the rated frequency.

So you want to find the steps of this linear ratio. How many volts does your CPU need to run at the stock frequency? Once you will know this, your overclock will get easier and less risky for your motherboard.

Please check in the BIOS if you have any option to DECREASE the cpu voltage (Vcore).

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Your motherboard is known as being a board prone to fail when its pushed. Your cpu cooler is sub par. Your psu is a no name off brand. Those three things are key. I would actually do nothing and save for something of a higher quality.

• Rep+
Reactions: miklkit

·
Registered
799 Posts
The risk level of this overclock is way too high to me. It is better to stay with stock clocks in the FX.

I cannot recomend you to overclock your PC, you will have to adress several safety issues before overclock.

1°- CPU cooler is not ideal.
2°- Motherboard VRM is naked and do not have cooling.
3°- Motherborad VRM is know for some incredible toasty failures.
4°-PSU brand unknow, seems to be a cheap pc part.

You better stay in stock clocks to avoid lose the hardware. Better stock clocks than nothing !

See ya !

wink.gif

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok. I just went online and found a AMD FX-8320 for $120. I will still overclock GPU's. BTW I hope it's not a problem but I never say how old I am because I fear that people will ignore me. Any ways best of luck!

May your Temperatures be low and you clocks be high!
thumb.gif

1 - 20 of 33 Posts