Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

• I'm having a problem with my PC but I could not figure out what is wrong with it. So, I shipped my PC via air-mail and when I received it. Some parts came out especially my heat sink. One retention plate that hold the cooling system was bended and the flick came out too which mean the whole cooling fan system was out of it position. The second issue is something hit on my RAM and now it has a dent on it. The rest are fine because luckily I put some bubble inside the case.
  • After fixing the retention plate. The problem with my PC right now is whenever I put it vertically, I can't use it for more than 10 minutes. It will crashes with black screen, sometimes the screen is flickered. So, I have to restart it. I try to put my PC horizontally and everything is fine as it was.
  • I tested my computer last night with some game like: GW2, Titanfall, there was no issue with it. So, I think everything is not damaged. However, as I mention above, whenever I put it vertically, my PC is crashed. I check the temp and it showed everything is fine, but I'm still think that the main problem is my heat sink system.
  • I changed the thermal paste and put the computer back vertically, I think it worked fine as I let it ran Crysis 3 for the whole night. When I woke up, the computer still running perfectly. Then, I replaced the heat sink system with H100i. It is running fine till now, however, after changed it, my computer had the same problem only once.
  • Then, I tested my computer for 2 days after I replaced the thermal paste again and heatsink system to Corsair H100i. The issue is seemed to be disappeared but not completely. It has been crashed twice, the screen is flickering for 3-5 secs then black screen appears for another 3-5 secs, and I have to reset my PC within 10 seconds after that; otherwise, I have to use the power button to reboot my PC. In conclusion, the crash frequency has been reduce and the duration of the problem is longer than before. (It was 3-5 before I see black screen or flickering screen).
  • I reinstalled the Windows to see if that is the problem, but it was not. The problem appeared third times within in 1 hour. The crash happens even when my PC isn't do anything, it's random like lottery T_T.

This is my PC spec:
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z-97x Gaming 3
CPU: Core i5-4690 3.5Hz
GPU: Sapphire R9 280 3GB
SSD: Crucial M500 240GB
HDD: HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB Low Profile
Heat sink: Cooler Master Hyper T4 ( replaced with Corsair H100i )
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-fi Extreme music
PSU: Cosair CX600M

So, in this situation, what should I do?
Thank you very much and have a great day.
I'm sorry if my thread was posted in the wrong category.

·
Registered
847 Posts
First, take your graphics card out, and put it back in. Nothing else, just that.
I know, strange suggestion, but you would be surprised at how often I see problems fixed by that sort of thing at work.
You could disassemble and reassemble your entire PC, if you have the time.

What you have is likely a bad connection somewhere, RAM is the usual suspect, but I think that that's a graphics card there.

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plottingCreeper View Post

First, take your graphics card out, and put it back in. Nothing else, just that.
I know, strange suggestion, but you would be surprised at how often I see problems fixed by that sort of thing at work.
You could disassemble and reassemble your entire PC, if you have the time.

What you have is likely a bad connection somewhere, RAM is the usual suspect, but I think that that's a graphics card there.
I concur with the component removal advice. Start one piece at a time, but a full breakdown and rebuild after uncertain handling during shipping would be ideal IMO.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much for the advices. Here are what I did today:
1. Break down the whole PC and rebuild it, replaced new thermal paste and remove unnecessary cable ==> The frequency appeared more than before ( 3 times in 2 minutes) with the PC lying vertically.
2. I put it back horizontally and it worked fine as it was, then I put it back to vertically within 15mins, the problem happened again.
mad.gif

3. I changed the GPU socket from PCI x16 to PCI x8, removed my Sound Card (thus, there was not enough space). Put the PC vertically, running Crysis 3 for 1 hour. NOTHING HAPPENED.
4. Put the GPU back to its old sockets ( PCI x16), the Sound Card still out, run the game again for 1 hour. NOTHING HAPPENED.
5. Put both of them back to the sockets. Trying to run Crysis 3 for 1 hour. NOTHING HAPPEN.

So, until now, I have been using my PC for 3 hours without any problem. However, I'm still cannot figure out the main problem for this. In my life, I had experienced with this problem only once when the humidity in my room was too high that affected the RAM but it was 15 years ago
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
847 Posts
Hmm, sounds like you may have a damaged socket in somewhere.
If the issue continues intermittently, you'll probably need to replace that mainboard, sorry.
Replace the PSU while you're at it, Corsair CX are ok, but I wouldn't trust one to an overclocked gaming system.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The nightmare comes back again
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
. Right now I took the GPU out and running it on board. I will update in a few days.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My PC worked perfectly without the GPU when standing. So, I can assume that my GPU has been physically damaged. Some part of the GPU could have been damaged inside that could not be seen after the accident, hence, when put vertically, a short circuit would appear that causes my PC to crash. I've ordered a new GPU and will give you the result later. Thank you for helping me out.

*P/S: Can you tell me how to choose the right PSU for a PC? And how to read the power consumption of PC components? I can only estimate it based on my experience that a regular PC would need around 300-500W PSU, a gaming PC would be more than 600W to be safely.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducanh2410 View Post

My PC worked perfectly without the GPU when standing. So, I can assume that my GPU has been physically damaged. Some part of the GPU could have been damaged inside that could not be seen after the accident, hence, when put vertically, a short circuit would appear that causes my PC to crash. I've ordered a new GPU and will give you the result later. Thank you for helping me out.

*P/S: Can you tell me how to choose the right PSU for a PC? And how to read the power consumption of PC components? I can only estimate it based on my experience that a regular PC would need around 300-500W PSU, a gaming PC would be more than 600W to be safely.
Try something else in the socket first. Socket damage is more likely than GPU damage.

Choosing the right PSU is half experience, half guesswork, really.
If in doubt, go overkill. The PSU is the lifeblood of a PC, if it fails, they often take out a lot of other components with them. I see this far too often at work, and it's pretty nasty.
I'm picking about 500-600w for your system, and even more if you're overclocked. Note that this is when everything is at full load, so you won't often hit that much power draw.
It's often good to get bigger than what you really need, to give yourself some breathing room, and so as to not max your PSU at any point. Probably go for a 750+.

The most important thing to remember is "PSU brands are worthless, look at the OEM". Not many companies actually make their own PSUs, so throw brand loyalty out the window on this one.
Here's a page that will tell you the OEM for a PSU, and links to plenty of reviews.
If you're willing to pay for the best quality available, take a look at Seasonic. They do make their own PSUs, and they do a very good job of it.

·
Premium Member
32,931 Posts
If I read all of this correctly, your heatsink was loose and rattling around inside your rig when you got it. You also stated there was a "dent" in your RAM.

Sounds to me like something smacked into your GPU and damaged it. Especially since it works fine off onboard. That's just what it sounds like to me. If you can get another GPU to test with, I'd do that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by plottingCreeper View Post

Try something else in the socket first. Socket damage is more likely than GPU damage.

Choosing the right PSU is half experience, half guesswork, really.
If in doubt, go overkill. The PSU is the lifeblood of a PC, if it fails, they often take out a lot of other components with them. I see this far too often at work, and it's pretty nasty.
I'm picking about 500-600w for your system, and even more if you're overclocked. Note that this is when everything is at full load, so you won't often hit that much power draw.
It's often good to get bigger than what you really need, to give yourself some breathing room, and so as to not max your PSU at any point. Probably go for a 750+.

The most important thing to remember is "PSU brands are worthless, look at the OEM". Not many companies actually make their own PSUs, so throw brand loyalty out the window on this one.
Here's a page that will tell you the OEM for a PSU, and links to plenty of reviews.
If you're willing to pay for the best quality available, take a look at Seasonic. They do make their own PSUs, and they do a very good job of it.
I never run overclock on my rig since I'm not a hardcore gamer or someone who has a lot of skills with it, so, I won't risk my self for it. It had been running perfectly since I built it, but this problem appeared after the accident. And Yes, I tried my card on other socket and it didn't change, that's why I assumed that the problem was the GPU. I will get a new GPU next week coming with a Corsair Air 540 case so I can run on CrossFire and it fit my space more than standing case. For the PSU, I'm going to upgrade to EVGA Supernova G2 850W since it's scored 9.9 from Jonnyguru. I am not a brand loyalty customer, hence, whatever I do, safety must be my top priority. Btw, thank you very much for your suggestions. I am greatly appreciated it. I will update when everything is done.
Quote:
If I read all of this correctly, your heatsink was loose and rattling around inside your rig when you got it. You also stated there was a "dent" in your RAM.

Sounds to me like something smacked into your GPU and damaged it. Especially since it works fine off onboard. That's just what it sounds like to me. If you can get another GPU to test with, I'd do that.
That is what I'm doing right now. Even though I put a lot of bubble and wrapped it carefully, but I forgot to take it out and the hit could have damage the GPU's motherboard connection. I will also submit a ticket to see if the warranty could cover it. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
32,931 Posts
I doubt the slot is damaged, its likely something on the GPU got knocked off or loose. Those slots on the motherboard can take some abuse. If they make contact, they'll work. And the fact that its working some of the time, its obviously making contact.

·
Registered
847 Posts
If it's doing the same thing in a different slot, you've ruled out slot damage there, so yeah, you've likely got a damaged graphics card, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneerisloud View Post

I doubt the slot is damaged, its likely something on the GPU got knocked off or loose. Those slots on the motherboard can take some abuse. If they make contact, they'll work. And the fact that its working some of the time, its obviously making contact.
Depends on the board, really. I've seen a few that the entire socket got ripped out, with no obvious impact damage on the case. Mind you, these were mostly Asrock boards...
Gigabyte, on the other hand, tends to be the most tank, from my experience, I should have looked a bit closer at first post.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was always wished that my mobo would have been damaged instead of the graphic card
frown.gif
. I have ordered a new card and will give you guys the update. Woohoo, paycheck incoming.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello everybody,
I just received my new GPU today. MSI R9 290x 4G Gaming. The problem has been solved, obviously, my old GPU has been damaged.
Thank you very much and have a great day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts