Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Im new here and to the world of mods and overclocking.

My first venture is a P3 450mhz.....i not only want to overclock it,but also want to put it in a nice cool case! At the moment its in an ugly PB case!

Where do i start?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Welcome to overclock.net!

Just something you should know, you shouldn't get your hopes high, I once tried to OC a p3 500 and I just got it to 650, that was as high as I could get it to.

• Rep+
Reactions: StoneCold316

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So r you guys saying theres no point in me trying to OC it?

I mean whats the max i could OC a P3 450 mhz to?Does anyone know?

Also can i have some tips on motherboards please...how can i find out if a motherboard would be compatible with a case??is there any way?

·
Banned
2,956 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by StoneCold316
So r you guys saying theres no point in me trying to OC it?

I mean whats the max i could OC a P3 450 mhz to?Does anyone know?

Also can i have some tips on motherboards please...how can i find out if a motherboard would be compatible with a case??is there any way?
your best bet is to start over but if ur set on that cpu you will probably have to buy a used motherboard. also your overclock would not be substantial. i am guessing 525mhz tops

by the way welcome to the forums

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its a packard Bell machine.....so its not custom built!...

Also how do i find out the make of the motherboard,i dont know if its AMX!

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

its a packard Bell machine.....so its not custom built!...

Also how do i find out the make of the motherboard,i dont know if its AMX!
ATX is not the make of the motherboard. It's the format of the motherboard. ATX motherboards and power supplies all fit in ATX cases.

I think you could look at your power supply and see if it says ATX on it.

And about the packard bell thing, you probably wont be able to overclock it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
o right...well that s established that i wont be able to overclock it....

i wana get a new case for it thou....how do i go about doing that?

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

o right...well that s established that i wont be able to overclock it....

i wana get a new case for it thou....how do i go about doing that?
If your power supply says atx, then you basically get whatever case you want.

Newegg.com has very good prices.

·
Registered
467 Posts
You cant overclock that thing. Most atx boards fits inside an atx case. but sometimes the bigger boards have problems, just be cautious!!!

·
Banned
2,956 Posts
it is an atx. so yes. just make sure the case you choose is atx. probly go with a midtower in that case because they are not too big and still get enough expansion room for most people. AND you can reuse it when u build another computer

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well thats great news...! Least i can get started from somewhere!!Thanks for case info

So i cant overclock it...but is there any other ways i can speed it up from a P3 450mhz??

·
Banned
2,956 Posts
Quote:

Well thats great news...! Least i can get started from somewhere!!Thanks for case info

So i cant overclock it...but is there any other ways i can speed it up from a P3 450mhz??
not unless you replace it. also, having faster ram will be good too. but you have to make sure your motherboard is compatible with what you buy. to be honest, if you are looking for better performance your best bet is to buy a new computer because the parts you would need are normally not available at stores. and if they are the odds are very slim of those parts being new. i dont know i just like having new parts for return policies and it makes me feel more confident in the parts' reliability. so in summarizing, no

1 - 20 of 32 Posts