Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright guys,

after reading about all this psu stuff, i am thinking i might need a new one, let me know what you think

i have 2 hd's, 8 fans, 2 fan controllers, 2 opticals, mobo and i am running the stock 350w psu that came with my case

i never really knew anything about psu's except that there are higher wattage ones out there...

what kind of difference does a new one make, am i way under what i should be?

please help me!

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
You are just a little under what you should have. Id go with a 400-460 watter. Stay with brand names. Cheapies will just let you down. And the power cheapies claim is overrated.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
The whole thing about PSU's reminds me very much of the wattage ratings of stereo systems.....

Cheap Stereo's boats having 400w power which sounds very impressive, but what they fail to tell you is that its PMPO (Peak Music Power Output) - Meaning for maybe a split second you will get 400w....but only for a split second. This would be makes of PSU's like Sparkle or Q-Tec

On the other side, you have the decent stereo's that rate themselfs a modest 150w - which a real, sustainable 150w of power. This would be makes of PSU's like Antec, Enermax, Tagan.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
The problem with generic PSU's is their max output may look impressive, but this is split across all rails, and the +12v rail is the one you really want to be concerned with. Solid power from the +12v rail, as well as greater amperage, is really what separates good from bad. I.E. a generic PSU may be rated at 460w, but only provides a max of 18A on the +12v rail (12x18 = 216 watts). The remaining 234 watts is split among the +-3.3v rails and the +-5v rails. Even on good PSU's, these rails always offer amperage that will never even be touched, in terms of maximum output, but the cheapies give you that warm fuzzy "more wattage" feeling by sinking all their power in these rails, which are not the most important factor.

Basically, 18A is the absolute absolute minimum you will want on the +12v rail. 24A is really recommended, and the more the merrier. ^Good manufacturers already noted (I would like to add Fortron).

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
I did just say all that in a nut shell. But that doesnt make cheap power supplies useless. Ive had my 300 mhz overclock work beautifully for 4 months now without a hitch and all I have is a cheap-ass turbolink 350 watter. If I could afford to get better I would but at the moment it just isnt finacially feasible for me.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Your post was petty general, digital. I specified why wattage isn't always the determining factor.
I too have a cheapy in my backup rig, with my 2.8C on an ECS 865pe-A @ 3.1 GHz and stock vcore. Vcore is reported at ~1.488v in Windows, on a Compusa 500 watter w/ 18A on the +12v rail. This is a prime example of a PSU with a high-wattage rating, but not having the power output where it counts. It runs perfectly stable, and I've never ever had a problem with the PSU, but I wouldn't trust it for anything more extreme.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoAffinity

Your post was petty general, digital. I specified why wattage isn't always the determining factor.
I too have a cheapy in my backup rig, with my 2.8C on an ECS 865pe-A @ 3.1 GHz and stock vcore. Vcore is reported at ~1.488v in Windows, on a Compusa 500 watter w/ 18A on the +12v rail. This is a prime example of a PSU with a high-wattage rating, but not having the power output where it counts. It runs perfectly stable, and I've never ever had a problem with the PSU, but I wouldn't trust it for anything more extreme.

what do you think about the ultra x-connect psu's they look pretty nice, if not, what would you recommend in the 50-70 dollar category, your opinion is valuable to me as always

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
I would jump on a Ultra X connect with the quickness. Those things are sweet. And the idea of me saying to stick with brand names was because they usually make quality PSUs.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

X-connects are very nice.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...Tab=1&NoMapp=0

hey noaffinity - could you clear something up for me

stock psu's usually come with only 2 dual 4pin power connectors correct?

this one seems to come with 2 dual, and 2 single 4pins'

am i right? do better power supplies have more connectors?

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Most higher-rated PSU's (generic or good) come with 2 looms which contain (4) 4-pin molex connectors and 1 FDD mini-molex connetor. in addition, many PSU's still include the P8+P9 connector, which is no longer used. Higher end PSU's will usually include SATA connectors (2) as well. This, is of course in addition to the 20-pin ATX connector, 4-pin 12v connector, and on newer PSU, the additional 4-pin PCI-E connector.

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
Hey man I have a really nice cheapy cost me $14 (approx newegg) with shipping for a 480watt psu and man I've been running fine for awhile though then again the size of a psu I need is no more than 200watt. But cheapy's are all I use (for all things sadly, too many bills not big enough pay checks and a fiance)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Most higher-rated PSU's (generic or good) come with 2 looms which contain (4) 4-pin molex connectors and 1 FDD mini-molex connetor. in addition, many PSU's still include the P8+P9 connector, which is no longer used. Higher end PSU's will usually include SATA connectors (2) as well. This, is of course in addition to the 20-pin ATX connector, 4-pin 12v connector, and on newer PSU, the additional 4-pin PCI-E connector.

thanks!

now in your opinion with the setup i have, should i get the 400 or 500w x-connect?

or the better question - is there something better that this 100 bucks could do for me?

but i think i finally realize why i couldn't boot up at 2.75 oc because as i tried to keep my vcore at 1.675, the psu probably didn't have enough juice for all the other parts!

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
If a 500-550w x-connect is around the same price as an Antec, Enermax or Fortron in that output range, then x-connect would certainly be a good contender. I believe x-connect also supports PCI-E, so if the x-connect is actually more than comparable PSU's by the other manufacturers and you don't have plans to go next-gen yet, then something by the other guys might be a more cost-effective idea.

:edit: I don't see PCI-E support, and for the price, the 500 watter seems like the better investment. $20 more than the 400w, and more than double the amperage on the +12v line. That would be my choice.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...p?EdpNo=874746

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

If a 500-550w x-connect is around the same price as an Antec, Enermax or Fortron in that output range, then x-connect would certainly be a good contender. I believe x-connect also supports PCI-E, so if the x-connect is actually more than comparable PSU's by the other manufacturers and you don't have plans to go next-gen yet, then something by the other guys might be a more cost-effective idea.

what the heck does next-gen mean?

i want the x-connect because it looks cool - has rounded cables, will make my case neater....

one more thing noaffin, i have the tt112 tower, and had to make stilts to support it, is there a method you know of that can help support a tower hs?

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
next-gen = next generation = (as of right now) LGA/DDR2/PCI-E

I was just comparing prices, and the output of that x-connect 500w, and in all honesty, it looks to be about the best option around. Just the fact that you only have to use connectors for exactly what you need, and not have all that extra clutter in your system is very impressive, and a very innovative development.

Sorry, I don't know of anyway to support a heatsink...manufacturers should do their R&D before putting a product on the market, so the consumer doesn't have to worry about that sort of stuff.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

next-gen = next generation = (as of right now) LGA/DDR2/PCI-E

I was just comparing prices, and the output of that x-connect 500w, and in all honesty, it looks to be about the best option around. Just the fact that you only have to use connectors for exactly what you need, and not have all that extra clutter in your system is very impressive, and a very innovative development.

Sorry, I don't know of anyway to support a heatsink...manufacturers should do their R&D before putting a product on the market, so the consumer doesn't have to worry about that sort of stuff.

as always i am enlightened after you respond -
question #2 - what the heck is lga - i hate feeling like my system is so behind
the times already!

and is this reasonable thinking - my system will be able to successfully hit 2.72 with the new psu at the same vcore that i attempted it at before?

and lastly - is this the best 100bucks i can spend right now?

oh yeha, one more thing! to change the psu, you don't need to pull out your mobo do you?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts