Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey there everyone! i'm not exactly a newb to computers.. but compared to you guys... i am! ok.. what does it mean exactly to overclock your computer? make it perform above it's maximum capacity? in addition.. my case is like... i dunno.. going haywire or something. it sounds like it has asthma LOL man.. cuz i just bought a new graphics card geforce fx 5200 PCI 128 DDR.. man... i am like.. so unhappy with this card that i think imma return it.. it gave me lots of hard times. also, my computer doesn't have any AGP or PCI-x slots for the mobo so you guys have any suggestions? should i totally give my computer a hardcore makeover? (new case, new mobo, more ram [how do i tell how many pinns i have?], new graphics card, etc) i look at newegg alot and man is that a great site or what!? if any of you guys could give me some few pointers on where i can find information about computers or even if you guys could tell me that'll be GREAT! thanks again!

yes.. technology does rock

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Go for a new Motherboard

You can keep all your previous things, but sell that 5200.

We just need you to post more specfic things, like who makes the computer etc. etc.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
awesome thanks for the fast reply! umm it's a sony VAIO i have no idea what model and plus how could i find out what my temperature for my computer is? and if it overheats is that suppose to slow it down or something?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Technology Rocks!

awesome thanks for the fast reply! umm it's a sony VAIO i have no idea what model and plus how could i find out what my temperature for my computer is? and if it overheats is that suppose to slow it down or something?

I thought VAIOs were laptops

But still, the mobo is the most important part of a pc. If you're getting a new one, I suggest you get a good one that allows you to upgrade in the future (e.g. it would be a mistake to buy a mobo that doesn't support dual channel ram for a p4 skt478).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
(e.g. it would be a mistake to buy a mobo that doesn't support dual channel ram for a p4 skt478what's p4 skt478? and how can i find the what my pinn is?

o and no vaios aren't just laptops. they have both desktop and laptop

·
Registered
840 Posts
Pentium4, Socket 478. It means it has 478 pins. they're up to 3.4Ghz. Yours is very likely to be a socket 478. if you wanna know more about your system, download CPU-Z from www.cpuid.com

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol overclocking your system seems too good.. what's the catch? if there's not catch then how can i do this? that one site in the signature helped but i was still confused on how to restore it lol

·
Registered
840 Posts
the catch on ocing is the heat. you gotta have good cooling to have a good oc. other than that, it's addictive! you keep wanting better and better OCs, so you keep wanting better and better parts! lol!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ooo ic thanks! man.. better parts.. that's gonna be a prob cuz i'm not exactly the richest man lol and i can't work cuz i'm underaged too unless if anyone knows where a 14 year old guy can get a job lol. hm.. my computer case looks like ****. and i'm not sure what the hell's wrong with it but it sounds like it has ashtma and it drives me insane! @!*#[email protected]$RUI In addition, i dunno how well my computer handles the heat! so any idea where i can check and get a job and earn money? lol and no stealing is not a solution

·
Registered
840 Posts
Hey, I just turned 16, so I just use the same saving method every young man can: save lunch money! lol

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL! i feel so guilty though! like.. your parents give you the money cuz they want to eat and then you save it and buy computer parts! well.. i guess it's beneficial either way but i still feel guilty! any other suggestions? lol

·
Registered
712 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Technology Rocks!

LOL! i feel so guilty though! like.. your parents give you the money cuz they want to eat and then you save it and buy computer parts! well.. i guess it's beneficial either way but i still feel guilty! any other suggestions? lol

Knowledge is the food of life...

·
Registered
840 Posts
well... you can build comps for family (I do it and get 10 euro an hour
already built 3 rigs, including my own.) or do other stuff you like, for example, related to comps-virus cleaning, installing anti-spyware programs... making webpages for people... (I'm building one right now and I already got 2 waiting lol). you gotta use your imagination!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey does anyone know how i can find which type or RAM will work for my motherboard? like.. the pinn or w/e?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil XP2400

That oracle doesnt know what the hell she's talking about

And you know a women that does?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
*** is that site? lol looks like some witchcraft ****

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gibant1

And you know a women that does?

lol, excellent point that should be well heeded. Tho not one you should publically announce lol. You still want them to think they have some semblance of control.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts